It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Replace your old brake lines!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:44 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
year: 1987
I thought I'd share these pictures I found on a german forum.
The first photo shows new brake hoses just like the ones used on the Paso.
The second are brake hoses removed from an 18 year old BMW K1100. The K1100 was built from '92-'96 meaning that the brake hoses of your Paso are up to 10 years older!
The inner hose has disolved. These hoses might actually still work (somehow) and show no cracks on the outside indicating no obvious aging but in worst case scenario the brakes would not work when really needed or seize once pressure was applied locking up the wheel.
If the brake fluid wasn't changed in a long time it'll probably be black or at least dark but if replaced on regular basis its colour will not necessarily indicate the inner condition of the hoses.

All I mean to say is that just like noone should still be riding on Michelin tires noone should still be using the original and 25-30 year old brake hoses. The industry recommends replacing rubber brake hoses every 8 years which probably noone does. However after decades it must be done. Rubber becomes porous over the years and even if there are no fluid leaks air or humidity can get into the system weakening brake performance.
Get over the 'I don't want to spend the money. They still look ok' and get some new ones. You'll notice the differemce of fresh brake hoses specially if they are steel braided ones which btw are not only better but may cost less than original rubber ones.

Finding those pictures I just felt this should be pointed out.

G.

Attachments:
Querschnitt_neu.jpg
Querschnitt_neu.jpg [ 179.92 KiB | Viewed 181 times ]
Bremsschlauch BMW K1100 n 18 Jahren.jpg
Bremsschlauch BMW K1100 n 18 Jahren.jpg [ 180.06 KiB | Viewed 181 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Replace your old brake lines!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:51 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994
Thanks for showing us these. The original brake hoses on my bike have all been replaced with braided steel but I must get round to changing the clutch line as well. Not so much of a safety issue at least.

1982 Pantah 500SL

Scotland

Post subject: Re: Replace your old brake lines!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:16 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
year: 1988
Wow. That's disgusting. Not surprising, but still. eeeww

I replaced all my brake (rears, too) and clutch lines with braided steel long ago, and I've always contended that this is my favorite, easiest, best bang-for-the-buck, go-fast upgrade possible. I consider good brakes a go-fast necessity; you see so many people doing things to uncork the engine, find more horsepower, more speed ... but ya still need to be able to stop.

On my Paso, on the front, I ditched the three-brake-line set up for two, attaching both to the master cylinder with a double banjo bolt. In general, the feel is vastly improved, but even better is the confidence that it's one less possible point of failure.

I've found direct replacements for some of the lines from various manufacturers, but some, like Spiegler, will make you lines customized to your specs for no extra charge (at least, they used to). Line length, color, and fitting size, type and respective attitude. I had a clutch line made for my Monster that works perfect with the clip-ons I have now, and it can basically only go on one way due to how the fitting are oriented. Really handy!

1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750