discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Vince
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Drive chain master link

Post by Vince »

Hi to all,
I am intending to use a clip-type master link on my Paso, the orig was a riveted master link, are any owners using a clip-type master without any problems?
Your input is appreciated!
Thanks, Vince
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Re: Drive chain master link

Post by Desmo_Demon »

Vince wrote:Hi to all,
I am intending to use a clip-type master link on my Paso, the orig was a riveted master link, are any owners using a clip-type master without any problems?
Your input is appreciated!
Thanks, Vince
I have used many, many clip-type master links since the 80's and never had a problem. I currently have one on my Paso without any issues or concerns, but......I actually prefer a rivot master link.
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducapaso »

many people say that a correctly riveted master link is safer than a clip type
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I also prefer riveted chain links.
I lost a clip once but luckily enough the chain didn´t open and I actually drove home like this (which is really not recommended).

G.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Vince,

It's reccomnded to rivet the master on higher HP bikes like the paso. I have seen clip on master links but never used one myself. You should try to secure clip if you can, I have seen this done with good RTV silicone. Cleant the clip and the outside of the side plate with acetone or nail polish remover, assemble the link (keep it clean!) and then spread some silicone over the 2 pieces. let it dry and then they should be kind of glued in place. I think I recall seeing one safety wired too. Just a ring around the side plate and clip.
Sharpey
year: 1989

Post by Sharpey »

After having a chain part, bunch up at the front sprocket and punch a hole in the crank case on the Paso, I would stick with a riveted link. I have seen a few bikes (especially on long distance runs) who have lost the spring clip and even the side plate without the rider being aware.

Split/clip links are best suited to low power, small machines where there is not too much torque. IMHO
Fraser
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

Have had my D.I.D. 520 chain on for 3.5 years with the split clip link with no problems. This is what comes with the chain. The split clip link has been fitted to 3 previous Ducatis I've had. However, I regularly oil the chain and check the clip when doing this. Cheers.
Fraser.
750 Paso
1980 Moto Morini 500 Sport
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

I like the security of the rivoted link , but have to say that the only issues I have had with chain failure have been when using knackered chains ( poverty is a bitch ) in my younger years .Problem is , I like to remove the chain for cleaning , especially with those gold side plates, so I use a clip link .Fitted correctly they are ok. Check chain guides to make sure that there is nothing that can ping the clip off while you are wheeling the bike backwards, and physically eyeball the clip ( and other things ) while the bike warms up .....you know , wheel it out of the shed and start 'er up, 7 am sunday , check the bike over whilst putting on the gear , give 'er a good rev just to make sure everyone is awake,and make sure my sprockets arn't going to fall off :P
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

I use ONLY rivet links/chain and i have bought tools to make all those chain cuttings/rivets, etc..... Not ever any "sprig clips", as most of those chain "loses"(with very bad results) happen just with such spring clip chains... If chain kit dont have rivet connection, then i buy it from suppilier, as its very cheap(few €). I dont start make any risk with those spring ones... But if someone want to use such, then have to have someking "case saver". I think, its stupid to broke very expensive engine cases with such bad chain connections what can be solved for few € with suitable rivet link(with good grease in it!), but anyone can do what want to do, SURELY! :smoke:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium