Question for the Experts on electrical / fuel pump issue

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

lucky

Question for the Experts on electrical / fuel pump issue

Post by lucky »

:confused: Hello all,

To refresh...bike had been running fine. Then with the key in the on position I can hear a faint ticking noise, accompanied by a flicker in the lights on the panel. This ticking is fast and continuous. After starting, the bike will not run correctly, it runs poorly under load and will not idle correctly.

Ok, after further investigation and removal of body panels, the clicking sound with the key in the "on" position is coming from the small black box where the wires connect to the bottom of the fuel pump. Keep in mind the bike still starts, just runs poorly and will not idle.

If anyone can tell me what part this is, or how to fix it, please respond. If I take the 2 screws out of the small black unit, anything to be careful of?

I appreciate any help the experts can give me.

Mike (lucky duc)
750pheonix

Post by 750pheonix »

Hello, i have no idea about the black box but the symptom is something seen on many Italian automotive electrics...

check all your earthing points... wire brush and WD40 refix...

it's good place to start with all electrics.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Has the fuel filter been replaced recently?
lucky

Post by lucky »

No
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

OK, I would start with the simplest things first.

1) Has any work been done to the bike recently? If yes, than what was done and could it have an effect on Fueling.

2) Has the bike been sitting all winter and this is the first time using it? Did you put Stabil in the tank? The gas may be going bad, as happens over the winter. My bikes run terrible if Stabil has been added to the fuel for storage. Put fresh gas in and see if that helps.

3) Replace fuel filter. It sounds like fueling issues and this is the easiest place to start with making "repairs".

Good Luck!
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

There is also filter inside 750 Pasos tank, just, where that output pipe starts, in that needle valve. It can be also clogged, if never cleaned. Mine was in awfull condition some years ago and i had to replace hole valve system in tank(cause valve started to leak), but new was very cheap, cause i find suitable one from on Fin moped modell (Tunturi). Same threads! :thumbup:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
Marinus

Re: Question for the Experts on electrical / fuel pump issue

Post by Marinus »

lucky wrote::confused: Hello all,

Then with the key in the on position I can hear a faint ticking noise, accompanied by a flicker in the lights on the panel. This ticking is fast and continuous.

Mike (lucky duc)
I thought this sound was normall. is this not just the fuel pump sound and the drain on the electric system cousing the lights to dim. Mine dose this as well.
LionelBurns

Post by LionelBurns »

Hi Guys
Mine makes the same noise always has but does not afect lights. The bike runs great always has. the only mod to my fuel system is a fuel presure regulator.
Chears
Lionel
Rodney
year: 1986

Post by Rodney »

:confused: possibly check the fuel float as sometimes the needle gets rubbish under it and the fuel keeps flowing in floading the engine . also check fuel line for blockages. the fuel pressure regulator is a good idea as the webber cant handle high fuel pressure coming into it ,the needle and float do not hold pressure back very well.

Rodney
Ducati ST2 2002 , Ducati 696 2010 , Ducati Pantah 1983 (in progress )
Marinus

A Fuel Pressure solution for the webber?

Post by Marinus »

Some where someone said something about the pump only putting out a max of 3psi. Someone else has said that part of the problem is that it is a pulse pump. How can a pump that is only putting out a little to much pressure but has an unresticted return line back to the tank be the problem? If I was to move the fuel filter from before the pump to after it. Either before the Y or between the Y and the carb this would give an air filled surge chaimber to reduce the Pulse and if it were on the carb side of the Y then it would reduce the flow and pressure to the carb. All very unscinetific but simple. I have the system apart at the moment and I think there is enough room to put the filter just before the carb if i use a couple of 90o bends.

Thoughts anyone
desmodave
year: 0

Post by desmodave »

LionelBurns wrote:Hi Guys
Mine makes the same noise always has but does not afect lights. The bike runs great always has. the only mod to my fuel system is a fuel presure regulator.
Chears
Lionel
ive sent you a personal reply mate desmodave