This maybe is a stupid question.

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

nilaus
year: 0

This maybe is a stupid question.

Post by nilaus »

But here goes. Does the Monster engine or the 750 SS Duc fit in the frame of the PASO?
Kind Xmas Regards
Klaus
mike
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by mike »

hey the only stupid question is the one you dont ask :D
i believe the monster and SS engine has the swingarm passing through the case, whereas the Paso engine does not.
coldduc

ss motor in Paso

Post by coldduc »

thats correct, paso, elefant, indiana have closed cases where the swing arm pivot would be on a ss/monster motor.
it can be done, but takes some machine work on the cases
the internals, however swap from 87-93 ss, monster, paso/
5 speeds
tony
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

I'm trying to understand this. My swingarm bolt gotes THRU the case on my 750 Paso. It also goes thru the frame where the Monster does not.
coldduc

Post by coldduc »

jcslocum wrote:I'm trying to understand this. My swingarm bolt gotes THRU the case on my 750 Paso. It also goes thru the frame where the Monster does not.
the case on the Paso motor is machined to fit the small diameter bolt, the bolt is not the pivot, the swingarm bearings are. supported by the frame

the same general spot on a SS or Monster has been machined to accept needle bearings and seals for swingarm pivot shaft.
the pivot shaft pivots on bearings carried in the cases. and the cases support the swingarm load

sorry if I was unclear
tony
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Tony,

you say "the internals, however swap from 87-93 ss, monster, paso/ 5 speeds"

To my knowledge this is not totally correct.
SS had dryclutch with slave piston in the clutch cover I think only in 91. So in later models the clutch (basket, core etc.) is different.
The SS/Monster cylinders have smaller cooling fins and are oilcooled (I don`t know in which year this changed though) so using SS/Monster cylinders might require a modification to the engine case to open the spot where the oil runs back from the cylinder to the engine case.
The flywheel of the SS use different mounting screws (flatter head) or was it the scres under the flywheel ?! I can`t remember, However if you just put a SS flywheel in a Paso the screws under the flywheel could tough it.
The cylinder of the SS/Monster have a pointing poinbt to the frame on the front lower. The thread has a smaller diameter and has to be enlarged if an engine with this cylinders are put in the Paso frame.
Isn`t it also so that the tooths of the primary gears are different ?

Depending on year of the engine case it might be correct that you can switch all internals keeping the old case, but if you mix Paso internals with SS/Monster there are some difference although no big ones.

Gerhard
lceriani

Post by lceriani »

Hallo to everybody!
Actually my '88 Paso runs with a '94 M900 engine taken from a Monster... so somewhat of engine swap is possible!

It was an hard work, and not fully perfect.
Main problems:
- adjusting some engine/frame bolts
- Mikuni carb conversion
- adapting clutch
- sprocket alignment (Monster has larger tires...)
- some electrical modifications

I can send some photos... but I don't know how (I prefer not to link to external www sites).
Websensei are you there to help me?

LC