plug a tire?

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

c-dogg

plug a tire?

Post by c-dogg »

well christmas came and santa got me a..... flat tire! yep, not a month after i got my new michelins (that i had to wait a month and a half for) i got a nice little nail in a tread well. my question is, what are your guys' thoughts on plugging tires. i dont see any other decisison. i cant buy new tires because i dont have the time and i definitely dont have the extra money. the nail is in the near-center part of the tire and in a tread valley rather than the part exposed to the road. am i crazy or is this an ok poor man's fix? thanks for any comments.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

Plug it!

I had a half-worn rear Michelin plugged on the recommendation of a top NZ tyre distributor, and then used it until it looked like a slick, because for nearly two years you couldnt buy Michelins here. I had no trouble with the plug whatsoever.
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

bought a road king new,waited 6 months.had a crazy job for a year and a half.got a flat,a mobil home screw,on way home from the crazy job.it was a 50 m trip.called a dealership and my wife to retreive us.the dealership would not plug the tire.it only had 1,500 miles on it.liability i reckon.
personally,i don't ride on patched tubes so i figure i won't ride on a plugged tire either.can't say i never patched a tube,some more than once. things seem a little more fearful now for some reason.wasn't that way 20-30 yrs ago.
if,just if,cruising along at 100 km and the plug let loose.seems the cost of damage to the bike,even with deductable insurance,would be more than the tire.won't go into medical end of it.
i've had 2 blowouts,1 front,1 rear.lucky for me both were at slow speeds.front tire i was alone,3 a.m.,sober(not),10 miles from home on a '69 450 ducati scrambler.the rear blowout was with a passenger on a r-60/5 as i approached the town of new riegle and it's stoplite.
both times at the slow speed the bike stayed up.don't know what may have happened at a higher speed.i do remember it was pretty hairy sober and not so sober.
i'm not gonna tell anyone what they should or should not do,liability i reckon,but i will express my thoughts.not sure if theres a message here but it's my story and i'm sticking to it for now.
regards,mike
907i.e. sorry skins but i'm waiting for summer for the northren half.2 feet of snow and 0 degree f and its only just begun.
congrats on getting your bike back on the road.
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

i've got a plug in the rear tire on the K11RS it's been there since March '04 (5,000+ miles on it) with no issues, no leakage.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Plug it

I ran a plug on a CBR600 for about 5000 miles and had not a moments trouble from it. I was not prepared to fork out for another tyre after less than 1000 miles. Just make sure that you get a professional job done and you should not have any problems with it.

Bryn :thumbup:
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

get it plugged by someone that knows moto tires. there are these neat new plugs that have steel in them to help maintain the integrity of the belts.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Plug and then a patch on the inside.

Good luck!
c-dogg

Post by c-dogg »

thanks for the advice guys!
ill get my buddy over at discount on the job right away. its been about 2.5 weeks since ive been able to take it out. the weber probably has the cylinders flooded by now but i still can't wait to take it out!. this time off has been killing me!
thanks again