discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

silverfox
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Oil Consumption

Post by silverfox »

What is normal?
My 88 uses 900ml per 1200km. Only visible after long downhill and open it up at the bottom. Both heads have been done (valves/guides) but I wonder about the rings.
Crankcase breather is just short hose and filter - could this be part of the problem?

PS: I note that the Michelin rear tyres are made in Spain now - you can see where they changed the mould from "made in france"

Cheers
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

I think normal would be zero use or near zero. Excessive is more than 1 quart per 1000 miles. My 750 uses about 1 Qt. in 2000 miles so it doesn't bother me.

If you had the heads done then it's definatley the rings letting oil by on the rundown. I changed oil makers and the consumption went down a little. Castrol to Mobil 10-40 non-syn. I did use mobil 1 for 1 change but it used up the synthetic at a very fast rate.
jfiore
year: 0

Oil Consumption

Post by jfiore »

How many miles are on your bike? Also, how long has it sat without running? When I bought my '87, it had not been used for about two years. When I started riding it, the oil consumption was very high, about the same as yours, and I though that I needed new rings. However, after I changed the oil ( I went with a 15W50)and as I put more miles on it, the oil consumption dropped. Apparently the rings were gummed up from lack of use, and were not seating correctly in the cylinder.

Try changing to a lower viscosity oil (10W40) for a few hundred miles, and see if that improves your situation. If not, I have a set of Deves rings for the 750 Paso which I would be glad to send you, as I no longer need them!