discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Paul wrote:Jon,

I did change oils about five or six weeks before, but the first time that the starter just spun up like that was the first time after the wiring upgrade. My though is that previously it was so sluggish that it had time to engage.

Paul
The slow spin might have helped the sprag lock up. It's not a gear like a car starter but small cams that roll forward and lock onto the mating surface. In an industrial transmission it would be a "back-stop". Kind of hard to explain. A ticker oil can sometimes keep the cams from rolling and locking. The higher speed after the wiring should be a plus unless that spring is so worn.

email me for some detailed instruction on how to change a flywheel on a 4 valve engine. It's the same principal.
750pheonix

Post by 750pheonix »

sv2dfu wrote:If anyone knows about any good service shops in Italy that I could contact, please let me know as soon as possible.
I will be in Italy about June 27th and will stay a week.
Preferably at areas near Toscana..but not necessarily. I will travel where ever you could suggest a good mechanic.
Please help, I am desperate.
Hello I was working just around the corner from a independent ducati workshop, they only do Ducati and have helped ducati racers in the past. The name of the place is Luciano's (he married an english lady so he should be able to listen if not speak english).

the website with the address and contact details is as follows... http://www.lucianomoto2.it/
the website is pants but the info yuo'll need is there.

oh and if you are in toscana you can get the train almost to the doorstep, it's 50 metres from Ostiense station.
caronte

Post by caronte »

Please, anyone can send me the pdf file of wiring mods?

Thank you very very much!

Hi! :D
750pheonix

Post by 750pheonix »

caronte wrote:Please, anyone can send me the pdf file of wiring mods?
Ecollo... one pdf sent.
caronte

Post by caronte »

750pheonix wrote:
caronte wrote:Please, anyone can send me the pdf file of wiring mods?
Ecollo (?) :confused: ... one pdf sent.
Thank you!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

sneekypete

Post by sneekypete »

I still have a hard time following the upgrade instruction! Maybe if i sleep on it, they will make more sense. I understand the conversion bypasses the lights etc. & devotes the juice to starting only. wish me luck! sneekyPete
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Just ask for clarification.

The conversion does 2 things; shortens the route for the power from the key switch to a relay. This eliminates HUGE losses and makes the starter solenoid work properly and provides a solid 12 Volts to the coils for better spark.

The combination of these 2 changes improves the Paso starting to that of a modern bike. Push the button and it cranks. The coils will make a nice hot spark which improves cold starting once the engine is cranking. The engine must be in tune tho.

A side benefit is that your battery won't be constantly overcharged and your regulator won't burn up. This is because the regulator senses low voltage due to the HUGE voltage losses and charges the battery like it was dead even tho it's not.

We're here to help so shout if you have questiopns. There are no stupid questions!
hottuna61

Re: 750 Paso Wiring Upgrade to Improve Starting

Post by hottuna61 »

My 88 750 Paso wont Start, battery is fully charged, all I get is a click click sound... However when I push the bike and pop it into 3rd gear she starts right up. Could it be my starter or starter solenoid gone bad ? By the way where is the starter located on my 750 Paso ?
Thanks
FL[/color]
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

Could it be my starter or starter solenoid gone bad ?
Everybodys first guess, I think.
Second, bad electric connection into it, the connection w 2 small wires.
Clean & try again.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
PasoRoo
year: 1987

Post by PasoRoo »

Hi Jon,

I'm in the process of doing the wiring upgrade and so far it's all going to plan. Bit of a drama finding 12 gauge (3 mm2) wire but I'm getting there. It's moving a bit slower than I'd like but that is also due to the fact I'm cleaning all the connectors while I'm working on the wiring. And they certainly need cleaning... :lol:

I have a question about the diagram of the relay terminals in the how-to document. The text states to put the brown wire coming from the fuse panel to terminal #30 and the power feed with the 30Amp fuse to terminal #87. However, the diagram of the relay at step 9 shows it the other way around. I'm assuming that it makes no difference in the end ( when the switch closes the two wires are connected) but I'd just like to make sure.

Cheers,

Mike