IMPORTANT QUESTION

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

pompone
year: 0

IMPORTANT QUESTION

Post by pompone »

Hello. I have a doubt, and try to explain, but my english is very bad.
I want to sell one of my bikes, a SS 750 i.e. I put posts in a lot of web pages, and I have recieved a post of a man who wants to buy my bike. This man want to send me a lot of money by Western Union or similar. I have to deduct the bike price of this money and give the rest to the shipper. I thought it is a particular form to buy a bike, but today I have recieved another e-mail from another man in another country proposing me to buy my bike by the same way, and I am suspicious of this sistem.
First man says me that he has a import agency and buy bikes in Europe to send to the States. He has a full container and my bike is the last of this ship, because of it he will send me the extra money to pay the shipper. Second mand says me that he has a friend in Spain who owes money to him, and he wants to buy my bike with this money, because of it, his friend send me the money, I get my part and give the rest to the shipper.
What do you think about that? Is it legal? I don't like problems but I need to sell the bike soon. Thank you in advance.
70 hp. can change the world
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

AVOID THEM BOTH LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Those are standard rip off tactics. If you go through with either one of them, more likely than not you're going to wind up without the bike, without any money whatsoever, and quite possibly at the business end of an investigation for transporting illegal goods.

#1. He's going to send you enough money to buy the bike AND pay the shipper? Sounds odd, doesn't it? He might ask you to package the bike, and deliver it to the shipper, and then pay the shipper and he will reimburse you, or something similar. Regardless of how it happens, and even if it was legitimate - why should you do his work for him? Even if he sends you actual money for the bike and the shipper - the shipment should be up to him; your responsibility ends once you sign over the bike after the check clears.

#2. Again, having someone other than the actual buyer send you money? Something just sounds fishy.

I understand being hard-pressed to sell the bike, but if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. And avoid checks; unless you can cash them at the bank they were written from (where they can verify right away that the account is funded, and you can walk away with actual currency). At the very least, do not release the bike until the transaction has completely cleared through the bank and you have the money in your account with no possibility of reversal.
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

ditto what faster said. ebay has this happen alot. you are to report these people to the ebay police. it looks like the bad guys are branching out. honest buyers are out there,don't be taken in by these crooks. best of luck.
pompone
year: 0

Post by pompone »

Thank you Fasterdammit for your quick response. I think it is an irregular sistem, and you confirm my suspictions. I'll try to sell my bike by normal way. Thank you very much.
70 hp. can change the world