discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

It's ALIVE!!!

Post by jcslocum »

The engine and frame were re-united last weekend. With a little bit of a cranking she fired right up and ran on the choke for a few minutes warming up. I shut it down to check for oil leaks. I traced a small leak and fixed it then started it up again. She starts and idles just fine.

I did paint the exhaust header with High Temp paint while it was off. WOW does that stuff smoke when heated up. The flat black does look good compared to the old rust color. I have no idea how long it will last tho.

I have also taken the time to paint the inside of the body work flat black. When the color was change from Red to Yellow there was some overspray and primer on the inside that always looked bad.

The old girl is now ready for another season of 2 up riding!!

mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

1) can you report back on how the exhaust paint holds up
2) can you take some pix that reveal the flat black inside the bodywork while the bodywork is on the bike? (like a front 3/4 shot))

lookin GOOD i think yellow pasos are :lick:
pompone
year: 0

Post by pompone »

:thumbup: Jon, your Paso is very beautiful. I was thinking to re-pint my Paso in yellow, I'm not sure of this, but your Paso inspired me. Good luck.
70 hp. can change the world
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Pompone,

The yellow / white scheme is from the Super Light. It was painted to match.

The yellow makes the bike look smaller and a little more sporting. As if the Paso isn't unique enough, the yellow really makes it POP out in the crowd. I'm the president of the local NYC Ducati club and regularly ride with 20-30 other Ducati's. The Paso always gets more attention from passerby's than any other Duc.

It's a true classic from a company that has produced many!
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Jon -
Looks fantastic, man! Very nice indeed! Would love to see more close-up shots.

What was behind the tear-down, anything in particular?
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
pompone

Post by pompone »

I'm agree with you, Jon. The Pasos are spectacular, and cause sensation everywhere. I have one pinted like a Limited version, white colour with red wheels. And I have other with fiber problems caused by a crash. I'm trying to repair it by myself and I was thinking to pint it yellow when I finish the job. Your Paso is very beautiful.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

fasterdammit wrote: What was behind the tear-down, anything in particular?
The trans blew up last fall. The output shaft bearing failed (behind the engine sprocket) and then more destruction occured. Luckily I was close to home and not going very fast; 40 MPH. The rear wheel locked up and almost threw me off!

This failure I blame on myself. I had adjusted the chain recently and blame the failure on that. This is a very rare failure on a Duc so there isn't another explanation. So, don't OVERTIGHTEN your chain!!! Keep it clean and lubed, leave it on the loose side. New sprockets are much cheaper than engines.
pompone

Post by pompone »

Really¡¡¡ :ugh: I broke this bearing when I was ridding very fast, around 170 km/h. I listened a big crack, and I was very lucky because the chain didn't stop, the bike was like a neutral gear point, and I stopped without problems. An oil pool under my Paso says me that it was serious. My mechanic says the same, don,t overtighten the chain, and prove the chain tension with a person on the bike. I have this engine in a box and I want to try to repair it when I'll have time enough. :thumbup:
steele

Post by steele »

That is a very nice paso they look great in yellow well done :thumbup:
Paul
year: 1987

Post by Paul »

It looks very nice. Is the saddle just the black bit with the yellow piping (with the yellow bit as a plastic cover) ? or is the saddle material black and yellow. Either way it suits the bike.

I agree that it would be nice to see some before, during and after shots of the build process. Its amazing what you learn by looking at these pictures. If you've got some can you post them ?

Thanks

Paul
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Paul wrote:It looks very nice. Is the saddle just the black bit with the yellow piping (with the yellow bit as a plastic cover) ? or is the saddle material black and yellow. Either way it suits the bike
The yellow portion is also part of the full seat. It's quite comfortable for the passenger. I need to have the front section reshaped slightly. After 2-3 hours it gets uncomfortable.

Overall the Paso is an excellent 2-up tourer. I have it so that my 16 year old daughter can ride with me as the 748 is a horrible 2-up moto!

I'll dig up some more pics if you are interested.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Here are a few more pics

Maybe there was a misunderstanding but I didn't just build this bike. I've had it and have been using it for a few years. I had to replace the engine due to the transmission blowing up last fall.

The top pictures is of a tour that I took with my daughter and 2 other Duc riders last year. We did about 1000 miles in 3 days and the Paso had no trouble keeping up with her younger siblings.