bike dies after 5 miles... *&^%*@&^)#&@Q!!!

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

mike
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

bike dies after 5 miles... *&^%*@&^)#&@Q!!!

Post by mike »

OK this has happened twice now, exactly the same scenario:

~ 60F ambient temperature.
ride 5 miles or so through town, stop and go traffic.
hit the highway, and at about 1/2 mile, the bike just shuts down, like someone hit the kill switch. wait a minute, the bike fires right back up. ride it a bit further, it'll do the same thing again. tried to open the fuel tank to look at the gas level, and the cap is held down by quite a bit of suction.

Ideas? This is getting annoying. Seems to be fine if the weather is a bit warmer, but is the bike going to die on the way home from work?
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Hi

I know that this sounds very basic, but it sounds very like a blocker breather pipe from the tank. Stop and go traffic will not use enough petrol to cause a problem, but as soon as you open it up the juice is prevented from flowing by the vaccuum caused by the inability of the air to get in to replace it.

As I said, I know it is basic but that is all I can think of. Try it without sealing the filler cap, rather just resting it in place.

My 907 had a fuel pump go and once it stopped, that was it. So I am assuming that is not the problem.

Hope you find the answer soon.

Bryn :oops:
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

yeah, the vacuum in the tank was leading me in that direction too. unfortunately i cant fix this in the parking lot at work so I'll have to ride home with the cap loose. wish me luck.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

If the loose cap fixes it then you know where to look to fix it permanently. Other than that I would be looking at the fuel filter to see if it's clogged up.

Good luck!
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

my 1st paso was an 87 which has the old simple style venting system. the 88 has the charcoal canister and whatnot. has anyone here bypassed all that crap and set up a traditional vent to air setup on an 88? if so, info?
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Did you identify the tank breather as the problem, Mike? If so, I'd say just leave the pipe disconnected. It may be that in certain atmospheric conditions, the charcoal becomes damp and won't pass enough air.

I once had a similar problem to the one Jon describes, with a fuel filter which was just not passing enough fuel for my Velocette Venom, with a big main jet, at 100mph-plus in a flying quarter.
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

well, the problem has been identified. after the conversations here in this thread, i went out to the bike after work, loosened the gas cap and FWOOOOOSH!!!

so i left the lever lifted so that the cap was rattly loose, and rode her home, taking the LONG way on the freeway to see what happens.

this has been a problem for awhile I believe, because she ran strong strong strong.

now, to figure out how to remove all that junk once and for all...
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

mike wrote:now, to figure out how to remove all that junk once and for all...
Pics & write-up! :D
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

yeah i think i will. im sure im not the only person this has happened to. now, do i want to post up how to remove emissions equipment when i live in california?

sure! CARB can :neener:
thats why I drive a diesel too :thumbup:
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Is there a statute of limitations on emissions in Cali? I mean, the vehicle in question is 18 years old now, right? I know Cali's strict, but isn't there a grandfather clause, where your vehicle only has to meet the provisions of the day? Or are they just that strict?

Like with my Land Cruiser - it's a '72. It's only got lap belts up front and that's it; but because it's a '72, that's all it technically - legally - has to have.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

And you're on the Internet ... what proof is that that either you or your bike are in Cali? Besides this discussion, that is. ;)

Of course, that's a whole other can of worms I don't intend to open ... :P
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

well, motorcycles and diesels are exempt from testing, but must be delivered with emissions equipment.

tampering with emissions equipment carries a hefty fine... something like $10,000

the limitations is like 29+ years old. i've been really tempted to get a 1976 VW Rabbit and shove a 12V VR6 in there now that they're exempt. :thumbup:

honestly, the odds are slim to none, so I'm not worried. there are zillions of modded motorbikes on california roads. if they want to do something they should go after excessive dB. :thumbdown:
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Mike,

You might want to search for the same mods to a monster. Many remove the emissions canister.

http://www.ducatisuite.com
pompone
year: 0

Post by pompone »

Do you have checking the level gas in the carburetor (sorry I don't know how I have to say in english)? If your level gas is low, nothing happens when you ride in town because you stop and go a lot of times and the gas can fill the carburetor when you are stopped. But when you hit the highway you need a lot of gas continuosly and your bike can drink more gas than gas there is in the carburetor and it get dry. Then your bike stop like go without gas. I think you must to check level gas on the carburetor because it is poor.
P.d: I practise a lot of english with Paso friends. :thumbup:
70 hp. can change the world
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

Well said (bien dicho) pompome! Mike has found that the bad fuel supply was because the fuel tank could not breathe (respiro).