Tic, tac, tic, tac .... BRRRRUMMMM !

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

josecarlos

Tic, tac, tic, tac .... BRRRRUMMMM !

Post by josecarlos »

In January I bought my second Ducati, a Paso 750. A beautiful bike.
After some rides, I realiced the electrical system was outdated ...
So I started the change proposed by jcslocum. Much better the starting, more light during night but while making the chages to the electrical system I had a look at that ugly coils.
Two weeks later I got a set of Dyna coils from Ebay Germany and now
:thumbup: Tic, tac, tic, tac .... BRRRRUMMMM !

It is much more powerfull in the low rpm range and more smooth.

You all should give a try !

Regards,

Jose Carlos
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

Hola Jose Carlos!

What was your first Ducati? Do you still have it? What kind of carburation do you have on the Paso?

Can you tell us the model name or number of these Dyna coils, and the name and email address of who sold them to you, and the price?

Many thanks, amigo!
josecarlos

Post by josecarlos »

My other ducati is a Monster 750.
The carburators are dellhotos 40 and the coils are 12 V 3 ohms, 65 euros plus shipping (ebay item 7961531823)
I have aso seen lots of dyna coils kits in ebay usa.
I suppose you could use 3 ohm or 5 ohm coils, as tested by Chris from ca-cycleworks in the monsters ( the kokusan units are the same in the paso and the monster)

Hope this helps.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Thanks, Jose Carlos

I'll see if I can find that ebay item, although I must say I'm very happy with the way my bike goes now (with 36mm DellOrtos and also with Kokusan units)

The Monster is one model I haven't ridden yet. Does the 750 Monster have as much power as the 750 Paso?
frankblack

Post by frankblack »

The Dynas made a HUGE difference on my little Guzzi (V50III), so it doesn't surprise me that they give the Paso some punch. When I finally dope out my electrical (FUSE) problem, I'll probably go this route.

Skins --

The Monster 750 is more modern and torquier than our old Pasos and -- yeah -- a good bit more powerful. But, damn, it's UGLY compared to our Pasos...

Onward...

Frank
DesmoDog
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by DesmoDog »

I just bought Dyna ignition and coils for my '74 Ducati. I got them from bevelgear0@aol.com. She sells on eBay also, I've forgotten what her username is though... I think it's bevelgear?

Anyway, contact her with your needs, she might be able to help at a decent price.
-Craig
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Frank, I just checked an online specs source, only checked one model, but a 1997 750 Monster makes 68 hp vs the Paso 750's 72.5 hp (more with DellOrtos and good cans) and 72 nm torque vs the Paso 750's 75 nm torque.
josecarlos

Post by josecarlos »

I cannot say. My monster has got ported cams and keihins. And I feel it much more powerfull and torquey.

I havent got a power curve...but, maby the maximums are better for the Paso, you dont ride only in the maximums. Thats why the feeling would be better in the Monster.

Anyway, give a try to the dynas !!
frankblack

Post by frankblack »

Skins --

I always felt the HP ratings for the Paso were a bit optimistic. From a "seat of the pants" perspective, the Monster feels quite a bit more powerful. It does have taller gearing, however, which could have a lot to do with my take on it.

Great bikes both, but the styling of the Monsters never quite did it for me. Since its introduction I've purchased two naked Guzzis (Centauro and V11) in search of the perfect Italian naked bike because, in spite of its massive fun factor, I never could wam up to the Monster.

The Paso was love at first sight/ride. Beautiful, quirky and -- for me at least -- quite enough power. Screw the dynos -- if it FEELS right it is right...

F
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Well, as an owner of both an '88 Paso 750 and a '97 Monster 750 I can pitch in on this subject! :D Although, my Paso is stock in terms of performance mods whereas my Monster has a stage II jet kit, open aribox conversion and a high exit Termi half system. So the Monster has been opened up front & back, and it has an unfair advantage right off. Given those mods - the Monster has the Paso beat.

I've beat an R6 in the quarter and I can hang with literbikes in the twisties (although in both cases - not fluffing my abilities, but I'll say rider ability has some say in the matter). I haven't dyno'd either bike, but as Frank says - the denim dynomometer puts the Monster ahead of the Paso. But the airbox, jetkit and exhaust make a big difference. It really breathes fire now; I love the sound it makes as it inhales when you get on it.

Ride-wise, the Monster's stock bars give you more leverage & a more upright seating position - something I intend to change shortly with a set of Vortex clip-ons; whereas the Paso puts you "in" the bike a little more. The tire size difference (16s vs 17s) makes substantial handling changes as well; I like the Paso's planted feel as you crank it around a turn; the Monster makes you feel like you need to go faster (drat! :neener:) through a turn, but you also feel more like a 'target', do to the seating position.

I love the Monster though. It's just as great in town as it is wringing its neck on the backroads, and it's just as happy two-up as not. Although mrs.faster likes the Paso's pillion better - which I can attest to as well. The Monster's not a plank like some of the literbikes, but it's not the Paso's lounge chair, either. But I don't think it's ugly; I like the naked styling. Actually, one of the Harley guys at my last job liked the Monster more because you can see everything - but that makes sense coming from an HD owner - they like to see their air-cooled twins.

For me, it's the best of both worlds! :D :thumbup:
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Well, I do like torquey bikes. That was one aspect of the Guzzi V11 Cafe Racer I rode that I enjoyed. I think Jose Carlos has a very good combination for the streets of Madrid and the ride to the coast. And we know which bike goes where. Although if I had to pick only one for both jobs, it would be the Paso.

I know several of the monsters now make big hp, but that wasn't always the case. Like I said, I've never ridden any Monster. Of the Ducatis I've ridden (not that many, but a fair spread) only the 916 felt significantly better than my Paso.

I'd like to ride a 748 (they say they're very good) but I wouldn't want one, because most of my riding is city or suburban (which I find very interesting - I can get bored on the open road) and I'm not interested in having my bum fried.

I'm sure my Paso, with DellOrtos, good cans, and well-tuned, makes it's full hp rating, if not more. And they do make exceptional torque, similar to several bigger and higher hp Ducatis. I have beaten an R1 for the first 75 yards.

And I've yet to see better welding on any bike, including other Ducatis and the MVs, than that on my Paso's swing arm!