discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Urbandrag

Need advice on buying used...

Post by Urbandrag »

Yo...

This is Diego and I'm from Argentina.
I'm about to buy a Paso 750 '89.
I'd like to know common problems and what things deserve special attention before buying!...
Here is a pic... Sorry for the quality...

Let me know how you can help me!...

Thanks in advance!. :thumbup:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:cool:

yo bro ...

Probably the biggest problem will be getting spares - eg mirrors, instruments, suspension. Tyres were hard to get until Michelin made some more recently. I couldn't get a new second gear a few years ago (but I got the dogs re-machined, and paid the engineer with some artwork - that's the kind of bike they are - real engineers appreciate them). Many bikes more than a few years old have parts-supply problems. Having a Paso makes the problems worthwhile. They are special motorcycles - very deep. People are selling parts from old ones all the time.

If it doesn't run well low down, maybe it's still got the origingal Weber carb, which can be fixed by fitting a fuel pressure regulator (they're not expensive). If it doesn't start easilly, maybe the electrics need fixing up. If it doesn't run well when it's cold, maybe the valves need adjusting.

Get it.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

As with any 80's Ducati the Electrics can cause you a lot of greif, if they have been sorted they should be fine.

Just remember they differ from all other bikes in that they have soul, somedays they just want to sit & watch the world go by others they want to rule it! That is the joy of a paso, Learn to read the mood & you will be fine. Never swear at her, if she does not do what you want try a gentle caress & a few "Come on girl, do it for me"s should do the trick.

Find out wh o you local Ducati expert is & ensure they are Paso friendly because some Ducatista do not acknowledge the paso as a purists bike.

16 inch rims are fine, just learn to ride with them, no need to change, trye selection is the only limitation here (Michelins).

Just Enjoy & welcome to Paso World!!! :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

it just could be any ducati from the '60's, '70's or '80's electrics could be suspect. don't ask why i think this!
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

wiggs wrote:it just could be any ducati from the '60's, '70's or '80's electrics could be suspect. don't ask why i think this!

Wiggs, Why do you think this? :laugh:

I once heard it reported by a Ducati Official that in the 70's & early 80's no 2 Ducati's left the factory the same, :screwy: they were cash strapped & just bolted on what ever they had handy! Lucky the castiglonni Brothers bought it when they did :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

the ducati transducer system they used on my '75 860 gt and also on the '78 900 gts. spent 500 bucks for a rita on the 860 and need to do the same on the 900 gts. had a '74 450 r/t s/t that only had 700 miles on it when i bought it. was actually the 1st onwer as i bought it from john bellville who was a ducati dealer and it was his personal bike and never registered. didnt have any problems with that bike but the '60 450 scrambler had a rats nest in the headlite that i never did get around to straightening out.i guess to be honest it wasn't the bikes fault as a p/o did the damage. did have a time trying to find a headlite bucket for it after a friend dumped it. i'm alot more careful who rides any of our bikes now.that was a lesson that was hard to learn but after about the 4th time i got it thru my noggin'. oh, also the charging system of the 750 gt's. rode it from kansas about 650 miles one day/nite and it died turning onto the rode we live on. had to push it the last mile home that nite. i guess i shoulda spent the nite somewhere and only rode in the daytime.