Inlet Manifolds

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

motiztab

Inlet Manifolds

Post by motiztab »

Looks like I will be getting hold of a pair of late model very low mileage Monster 600 carbs.
Now I know that these will need rejetting however which will be best with regards the inlet manifolds?
600 Monster ?
750? not sure which bike think Monster
900 SS ?

Anybody know will be best, and if I get the 600 ones and the port on the heads is larger will it cause much of a problem?
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

I think you need Malossi manifolds, tho I'm nowhere near certain. That's what my Dellorto's are on.
motiztab

Post by motiztab »

Thanks for the reply Jcslocum.
Subject to my friend checking out the carbs, he lives close to where they are and will check out the Air Screws etc. If he gives the ok on condition then will be getting hold of:

Pair 600 Carbs
Carb Rubbers
Inlet Manifolds
Air Box including Lid
Pair Donkey Ears ?????
bits and bobs of hose's to do with Airbox and carbs

Now which do I go for
the 900SS Inlets
or the 600 Monster Inlets
All the above and choice of inlets for £180 good bad or over priced?
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Hi,

Malossi manifolds won`t work as they are for single carbs.
The inlet manifolds of the 750 and 900 carb engines (no matter if SS, Monster) are slightely different. The length is about the same, but the angle when mounted and the angle of the bend are different. If you put a 750 and a 900 inlet side by side you`ll see. You can use either of anyway. The difference when using the 900 inlets on a 750 engine is that the carb will slightely be positioned twisted. Nothing to worry about if you use single filters or if you build a custom airbox, which you would have to do anyway.
The cylinders of a 900 are higher than the ones of the 750. As the frames i.e. of a SS are basically the same on both models and the airbox, too the parts which compensate this difference are the inlet manifolds.
I don`t know about the 600 manifolds. But they might be the same. The diameter I guess is as the carb diameter of the Mikuni is the same on 600, 750 and 900.

You mention "airbox and lid" which one do you mean ? Don`t spend money on a Monster or Supersport airbox. They are totally different as the frame differs completely to the one of the Paso. If you look at the SS, Monster frame, the left and right frame rails are in parallel almost to the front leaving enough space for an airbox which is positioned vertically forward. No chance to do this on the Paso.

Honestly I think £ 180 is a bit much, considering that you`ll also have to get the correct jets, airfilter(s) etc. At least on ebay Germany you can constantly find Mikunis. The inlet manifolds if I recall correct weren`t that expensive even directly from Ducati. What you still need is the 2-cable throttle grip incl. cables.

Beware that the engine will run with the 750 SS or Monster carb setup, but I`d recommend to get it on the Dyno anyway to optimize jetting as the Paso has a higher compression as SS/Monster and may require some small changes in jetting to run even better as it will anyway after the carb swap.

Gerhard

PS: it highly depends on your driving speeds if you use open filters or an airbox. You won`t find any modern sprts or race bike with open filters. That`s for a reason ...
motiztab

Post by motiztab »

paso750

Thanks for the reply.
I think after reading your post that I will go with just the carbs and inlets with mountng rubbers.
Those rubbers over here I am told are £15-20 each so based on that I hate to think what the Inlets would be.
As I do not want to spend money where its not need I shall miss out on the Airbox and Lid.
The guy selling them is listing them as seperate items hence my listing as seperate!

My local Ducati man said get the Airbox and seamed to think it would fit, but having just looked at a Monster I just cannot see it going in with the tank back on.

I am now thinking along the lines of the 600 carbs,inlet rubbers and manifolds something like K&N Pod filters with a K&N Crank case breather filter and some Dyno time

Oh and I should say these carbs have about 300miles on them should be mint
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

in cas you want to custom build an airbox you may consider getting this one so you have one to cut up. The lower part would have to be built new with glassfibre. If you plan too try this, attempt to get the rubbers from the airbox with which the airbox is mounted on the carb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 92580&rd=1

Gerhard