Mikunis fitted

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

reginapete

Mikunis fitted

Post by reginapete »

:thumbup:
I like other owners have had a myriad of problems in trying to get the paso 750 perform and tickover with the standard weber carb. Completed wiring change by Jon Slocum which made a major difference and fitted a fuel pressure regulator at 3psi. Made a big improvement but no tickover beyond two minutes! I recently fitted a pair of mikunis with manifolds and K&N pod filters from a 750 sport. What a difference!!
It realyy feels like a different bike - far more responsive with an even tickover for as long as you like. It is really a bike to appreciate now.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Congrats on you improvements Pete :thumbup:

I am determined to perservere with the Webbers, If I don't change them I don't know what I have been missin out on. (that & the financial side of this mod) :sad:

Do you notice a great deal of difference on the open road?

I find my webbers are a dog in town but ok on the good roads, what are your impressions so far? I am very interested :D
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
reginapete

Post by reginapete »

The Mikunis give a vast improvement throughout - pick up is much quicker and smoother. Starting is instant, choke can be turned off after 30 seconds and engine will run smoother. I will test the economy on the next tankfull. I was getting about 35 to 40 mpg from the Weber.
reginapete

Post by reginapete »

I have calculated that the bike is now doing 44mpg! Based on the last tankfull. I neeed to purchase a larger helmet now to accommodate my extended smile! I enjoy it more each time I ride it. In fact I'm using it more than my Multistrada (until the novelty wears off)
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Hey Red - mine sounds much the same as yours - not flash around town, but reasonable everywhere else with the Weber - rebuilding the carb might turn into one of those winter 'to do' jobs........tends to be hard on fuel - lumpy idle - never use choke to start it - etc etc, but fun to ride............. :thumbup: :D
pompone
year: 0

Post by pompone »

Hello Reginapete and Pasofriends. I fitted a pair of Mikunis one year ago and the difference is notable. With Weber carb my bike had a hole under 5000 rpm and with mikuni carbs it is dissapeared. The gas economy is evident and the bike starts better. With mukuni carbs and Mr. Slocum wiring mods (I'll try to do soon) the Paso is fantastic.
70 hp. can change the world
MetalHed

Post by MetalHed »

I am also proud to announce that I have just ordered a pair of Mikuni carbs to replace my weber. To everyone who is still using webers good luck, it just isn't working for me.

To anyone who has done the mikuni conversion, maybe you could offer a little more help. I have read the other forums on this, and I have a good idea of what I need. I have ordered the 750ss jets, I'm just not really sure where to find the correct inlet manifold or airfilters. If anyone has a part number, or correct size of either, please let me know what worked for you.

Hopefully soon I will just be able to enjoy this bike without having to deal with it's quirkiness.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

Metalhed: pics & details dude. What carb did you get, where'd you find it and out of curiosity, what'd it run you?
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
MetalHed

Post by MetalHed »

I don't know all of the specs on it, all I know is that it's a 38mm mikuni. I haven't gotten it yet, I'm expecting it any day now. For the set of two it was $95 on ebay. My jet kit is a K&N kit, it was around $30. I'll post some pics soon.
motiztab

Post by motiztab »

I have a pair of 600 Monster carbs,inlet manifolds mounting rubbers complete airbox and mounting bits and bobs coming all from a wreck that had 300 miles on the clock.
Ok I will have to remake the airbox so have got hold of a 900 Paso airbox on its way too.
Looking to rejet to 750ss spec and at the moment will be planning on the stock exhaust.
When the project is up and running will let you guys know with some pics
Cost so far £188!
Ok I know that I have paid a high price but was told that with Ducati carbs that the pilot screws get all bunged up and rot away due to the postion of them, these carbs still have the caps on them. Had them checked out by a mate who used to build custom cars who said that they look new.
reginapete

Post by reginapete »

I purchased mine from DOCGB classifieds. They cost me £110 which included the throttle linkage and twist grip assembly, together with a pair of K&N pod filters. The manifolds were included too. The carbs had been recently fitted with a dynojet kit and were taken from a 750 sport. The transplant was straight forward - a perfect fit with no modifications. Keep a look out in the DOCGB magazine.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

All this talk of improved power & no-choke starting is making my eyes water.......must resist urge to spend money.......Webbers are fine..........don't know any better so I wont miss it........They are great on the open (or twisty road) & I don't like riding in thown so it doesn't matter........must resist urge....... :mad:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
motiztab

Post by motiztab »

reginapete

I see that you have fitted Mikuni carbs, question with the 750 Sport inlet manifolds did you find that you had clearance between the left carb and the fuel pump mounting bracket?

To night I pulled the Weber off and mount my Mikunis however I am using 600 Monster inlets,
I have zero clearance next the pump mounting, did you find this, did you remove and resight the pump? or are the 600 inlets longer than 750Sport ones resighting the pump would mean that the bracket could be ground off the frame but do not really want to do that.
reginapete

Post by reginapete »

there is a clearance but only a few mm but enough to avoid contact. I adjusted the fit of the manifold to use the clearance between the engine stud and manifold holes. Fits perfectly and does not touch the frame.
motiztab

Post by motiztab »

Ok I think I know what you mean, small amount of adjust ment in the diameter of the manifold holes?
Do you know if the 750Sport Manifolds are shorter than 600 Monster ones?