A tip for setting correct tension on timing belt?

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

naster

A tip for setting correct tension on timing belt?

Post by naster »

I found details of a guy (from the internet) who uses allen keys to set the correct tension on timing belts. Having removed all covers; He writes, "While holding the slack out of the belt, the next step is to insert your 5mm allen wrench between the belt and the fixed roller. It should feel like a feeler gauge does- SLIGHTLY snug."

Note: This is described as general maintenence for dukes. Additionally, its recommend a 6mm allen for the vertical cylinder. (As heat expansion calls for extra slack).

Can we use this method for our Pasos? :confused:

I think this could be a great tip for amateur engineers (like me.)

If anyone is interested in this method: I would recommend visiting the sight first (as other essential details are noted).

See http://www.ducatisuite.com/

It’s a great site, and gives detailed articles with pics for maintenance on every level. From easy (1 tick) to difficult (5 ticks).
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

This is the correct info and I use 5MM for both belts.

Lance has put together a very useful site.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Another quick and easy cam belt adjusting trick is to twist the belt using finger and thumb, and if the belt can be twisted to 45 degrees without forcing it, it is close to correct tension.
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

I used the '5mm method' on my 906 - no hassles, & is a good rule of thumb to follow. :thumbup: :thumbup: Set it uplike that, then turn the motor over a few times & re-check it.Mines set as a 'snug-fit'.
Non-liquid cooled Ducati motors, should have slightly less tension in belt for the rear cylinder.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

I use that method with both my Monster & the Paso ... so far so good!
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750