I need to know more about 1988 750 paso limited

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

He is not looking after it for a balding Brit named Mike that went out to pick up fish & chips & has not returned yet is he?

I know that was really bad taste & apologise to all :oops:

get to know this guy well enough for him to make the offer to you, it is definately worth it :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
mr_nibble

Post by mr_nibble »

this thursday or friday i will try to get the VIN # for the 750 paso. how many miles can one get on one of these bikes before it would need to be rebuilt? and does $5500 us dollars seem like a fair price for a spotless 750 paso with 8000 miles on it? i plan on rideing the bike on the interstate about 80 miles a day. if and when i get it one of the first thing i plan on doing to it is the electrical upgrades with the relays. and if the carbs are all that bad i would change them out second.

mr_nibble
phx usa
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

I think that price might be a bit high for the bike, and I suggest you hold off for a while.
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Seems dear enough, but it depends how badly you want it too.......
There are 2 Pasos for sale on e-bay(????) $4500US for the pair - 906 + 907 from memory........
A well serviced Paso should do 50,000m without needing any major mechanical work, depending on how it gets ridden too.....
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

I have 80,000+ km on my 906. It has had everything replaced when it should, oil change every 2500km. always garaged & teh polish kept up to it. I have not had any majr problems other than electrics getting worn & some dodgy fuel (& that Tacho not working but i have yet to look at it). If It has been treated well & you want it bad enough pay the price (or as low as you can talk the owner) & enjoy. If you are riding those k's daily you will really appreciate the Paso :thumbup:
Redpaso
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

mr_nibble wrote:this thursday or friday i will try to get the VIN # for the 750 paso. how many miles can one get on one of these bikes before it would need to be rebuilt? and does $5500 us dollars seem like a fair price for a spotless 750 paso with 8000 miles on it? i plan on rideing the bike on the interstate about 80 miles a day. if and when i get it one of the first thing i plan on doing to it is the electrical upgrades with the relays. and if the carbs are all that bad i would change them out second.
$5500USD sounds high, regardless of condition. I'm sure it's worth that to the owner - in which case it comes down to how bad does he want to sell it, unfortunately. Like I said, I paid $3800 for a blue '88 (of which there are only 55 in the states) that was spotless w/ 4k on it. And even then, other Pasos were going on ebay for half that.

If it's absolutely spotless & in prime condition, $4k might not be unreasonable, especially A) if it's a friend of yours and B) it's mechanically perfect, too ...

Otherwise, Pasos are happiest running WOT for extended distances. An 80 miler ain't nuthin' - I used to take mine about 50-60 mi in the morning and anywhere from 80 to 120 miles on the way home, to my previous employer. (Of course, if I took a car, it was only about 45 miles each way).

In terms of longevity? Well, like Red said - keep up w/ the maintenance and it'll treat you right. Do the valve checks (every 6k unless you upgrade to MBP's collets, then every 12-18k), keep on your belts (every 9-10k) and obviously - oil changes. For comparison's sake, I have 38k on my '97 Monster 750 and it's as strong as ever.
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

mr_nibble wrote:this thursday or friday i will try to get the VIN # for the 750 paso. how many miles can one get on one of these bikes before it would need to be rebuilt? and does $5500 us dollars seem like a fair price for a spotless 750 paso with 8000 miles on it? i plan on rideing the bike on the interstate about 80 miles a day. if and when i get it one of the first thing i plan on doing to it is the electrical upgrades with the relays. and if the carbs are all that bad i would change them out second.
$5500 seems to be about $2k too much. I bought my 87 for $3K and it had only 4K miles on it.

As for riding it every day...well, it is a 17 year old bike. Think of it as a classic car. It will need more maintenance than a newer bike and the parts will be harder to come by. It is also 17 year old technology. A LOT has changed in 17 years, from tires to brakes. Tires will be a bitch to get BTW and if you do buy, it's always handy to have a set in stock.

I don't want to dissuade you from owning a Duc and the Paso is a beauty. But in my opinion, the Paso isn't a good choice for everyday commuting. An ST2, Monster or VFR is much more apprpriate.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

jcslocum wrote:As for riding it every day...well, it is a 17 year old bike. Think of it as a classic car. It will need more maintenance than a newer bike and the parts will be harder to come by. It is also 17 year old technology. A LOT has changed in 17 years, from tires to brakes. Tires will be a bitch to get BTW and if you do buy, it's always handy to have a set in stock.

I don't want to dissuade you from owning a Duc and the Paso is a beauty. But in my opinion, the Paso isn't a good choice for everyday commuting. An ST2, Monster or VFR is much more apprpriate.
Good points, especially re: tires. Michelin is stilll cranking out the A59s, right? That's what I'm running; I think there are only one or two - three tops - of matched front & rear pairings available, the Michelins being one. But my Paso's saddle is MUCH more comfortable than my Monster's for extended superslab rides. Actually, the Paso's saddle is much more comfortable in general.

And to follow up on the '17yo bike' comment - don't count it out as incapable, but don't expect it to run with the big dogs of recent years either. Otherwise, mine keeps up just fine, and I don't treat her like an old lady ...
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

fasterdammit wrote:
jcslocum wrote:As for riding it every day...well, it is a 17 year old bike. Think of it as a classic car. It will need more maintenance than a newer bike and the parts will be harder to come by. It is also 17 year old technology. A LOT has changed in 17 years, from tires to brakes. Tires will be a bitch to get BTW and if you do buy, it's always handy to have a set in stock.

Good points, especially re: tires. Michelin is stilll cranking out the A59s, right? That's what I'm running; I think there are only one or two - three tops - of matched front & rear pairings available, the Michelins being one. But my Paso's saddle is MUCH more comfortable than my Monster's for extended superslab rides. Actually, the Paso's saddle is much more comfortable in general.

And to follow up on the '17yo bike' comment - don't count it out as incapable, but don't expect it to run with the big dogs of recent years either. Otherwise, mine keeps up just fine, and I don't treat her like an old lady ...
the A/M59 is the ONLY tire that is OEM size for our bikes.
also, $5k is a bit high for the bike... but I've been watching Paso prices creep up over the years. Maybe we are starting to see a surge in prices due to people realising that our bikes are rare and wonderful. :thumbup:
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

fasterdammit wrote:And to follow up on the '17yo bike' comment - don't count it out as incapable, but don't expect it to run with the big dogs of recent years either. Otherwise, mine keeps up just fine, and I don't treat her like an old lady ...
I ride mine as well nearly as much as I do my 748. The handling with the 16" tire is really slow by comparison (not a fair comparo but I have ridden every ducati model and it's slooow) and not all that stable either. The brakes also lack modern power. I'm not disrespecting the Paso, it has many endearing qualities. It was leading edge in 87 and now it's trailing edge technology.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

I hear you Jon - I definitely agree, although I do find the 16" tires to be pretty stable. So stable, it's slow to pitch the bike around. Definitely a work out! :laugh:
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

It is a classic & should be treated that way, I had not actually thought of them as 17 year old, but hey they are getting up there. I would not buy a Paso as a daily commuter for this reason. Buy it & take her out fo rthe wekend. They are a Mistress not a wife :D
Redpaso