I need to know more about 1988 750 paso limited

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

mr_nibble

I need to know more about 1988 750 paso limited

Post by mr_nibble »

a fellow work mate is selling a limited 750 paso, he said it is 1 of 200 bikes made that year and it was for formula 1. the bike has 8000 miles on it and is in perfect shape. what do these sell for? and is it worth more because it is a Limited. is there any thing that is a known problem with these bike? any info would be great,
thanks
naster

Post by naster »

Do not know much about the limited model, but my bike cost me 750 UK pounds, from e-bay. I believe it is a 88' model. Is in very good condition. Had 16,000 miles on clock when bought. Hope that helps :umm:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

Naster, I believe you got the Deal of the Decade there. I believe one would expect to pay at least twice that for a good Paso, and more for one in really good nick.

mr nibble, the 'Limited' does not give the bike any extra value, as far as I know. I believe it means the bike is white, but that's all, as far as I know. The 'formula 1' bit may be invented. Someone else may have more knowledge about these matters.

Unless the original Weber carb has been replaced with DellOrtos or Mikunis, and the electrical system has been kept in good condition, you will probably need to attend to those.

Some parts, eg mirrors and instruments, will be hard to get.

Running well, they are comfortable, have adequate power, and can be exceptionally smooth. They are a very interesting motorcycle.
mr_nibble

Post by mr_nibble »

this is what i know my fellow worker is a collector of BMW's and this one 750 paso that the factory needed to make a certain amout of factory race bikes sold for street use, at least in the US there were around 200 for sale. this bike has factory race pipes with no baffels, stream line tail light/blinkers and who knows what other factor race parts. if anyone knows anything about these type race bike please let me know. i will try to find out more form the owner.
thanks,
mr_nibble
phoenix az usa
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:confused:

Well, I have never heard of factory race Pasos made for street use. The Paso was designed as a GT, what is called today an ST, or Sports Tourer, not as a race bike. The 'streamline tail light/blinkers' sounds like all rear light units, without stalks, fitted to all non-US Pasos, like mine (I live in New Zealand) and the race pipes with no baffles baffle me.

My advice is forget about what the owner says - just make sure the bike is in good nick, and that the price is fair. I paid the equivalent of about US$3000 for mine, in good condition, about six years ago.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

I wonder if your friend is confusing his Paso with the F1 of the same era. The F1s were the racers' breed; a taller bike, still with a squarish headlight but less body coverage - some of the trellis is exposed towards the rear. But similar to the Pasos at a glance.

However, as Skins says, the Paso is a sport-tour. Most race-bikes didn't come with clocks, oil temp gauges and cushy seats built for two-up. Otherwise, the 'Limiteds' were white - you can find some production numbers listed here - these are from a recent Ian Falloon book. If you have a VIN, I might be able to check that and see if it's listed in the book.

Out of curiosity, what are these 'factory race pipes'? Cobra F1s? Post a pic if you can ... that might help, too. ;)
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Mr nibble - gotta agree with what has been said here - rather than buying the bike for what what it 'might' be - buy it for what it is (750 Paso Limited), & for what it will be to you if purchased - a great 'all-rounder' of a bike, that has character, & makes the 'right' noises........ :lick: :lick: :lick: (If by chance you don't want the pipes - I'd be happy to send enuff money to see them exported to me!!!)

Skins - sounds like you got yours cheap enough too - when I brought mine 3.5yrs ago, 906s were still fetching NZ$8-9000, when & if they were around on dealer floors - paid a bit less than that for mine as a private sale, but seen all that were avaliable in NZ at the time, before buying it.......
BTW Skins - theres a Paso 750 & a mint 851 on Trade-me at the moment (& yes - if I could afford it - I'd probably send the guy a cheque for the 851 :roll: :roll: , based on rariety, & condition.........)
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

BTW, I paid $3800 USD for my blue '88 750 about three years ago. Saved it from a barn with only 4011 mi, bone stock. Only 'damage' was that mice had eaten the upper corner of the owner's manual.

I don't see many Limiteds around - certainly none around here, but I haven't seen any other Pasos around central NY either. I have seen some Limited skins on ebay though ...

Otherwise, nibble - I'd put all Pasos on the 'endangered species' list. Not a lot of them around, and most of them are red. I would agree that only 200 Limiteds were exported to the States in '88 - that seems plausible, but worldwide I'm sure there's more than that ...
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Gosh, Duck, it's interesting that you saw all the 906s available in NZ when you bought yours! How many were there? I think 906s and 907s fetch more than 750s as a rule. I will have a look at Trademe (I do regularly) but I can't see me replacing La Perla in the forseeable future - on a short ride this Sunday she felt wonderful again.

Faster, do you know exactly what a 'Limited' is, apart from being white? My bike is not one, of course, being originally red.
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Skins - there was only 3 avaliable at the time - took the red one down in Christchurch for a testride, & would have brought that bike, but while I was thinking about it for a week - had a photo sent to me of 'mine' from Tauranga. Fell more in love with that, so went & 'had a look', & rode the girl back after test ride confirmed it was definitely 'mine'.......

Then shortly afterwards, a slightly damaged 907 came up for sale locally, at a good price............. :roll: :roll: (don't ya hate it when that happens!!!)
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Weren't the limited just a paint job & limited "sticker" to try & boost sales inthe US? They look good (& that comes from a man that believes Ducati's should be red!).

I paid $7000 for mine about 2 year ago in OZ. I bought it from my Brother for the trade price he was offered on a brand spankers new 1000DS Monster. Interestingly he rode it a month ago & offered to buy it back should I decide to part with her in the future. He thinks it would compliment the Monster & his 900MHR. :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Have you ridden the MHR, Red? What's it like? I've only seen it in pics. I've only heard of one in NZ, in Auckland I think, though there may well be more. I'd love to see one in the flesh. Looks like an extremely interesting machine.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

I have ridden the MHR (not to be confused with the MHE which was the new evolution bike, His MHR is 1981 vintage 900). This is the most amazing bike I have ever ridden. I have ridden it over distance on the road where you need to be sitting on 130+ km/hr to get the wind under your chest to releive the pain on your wrists. But that aside it is an incrediblely well handling machine. My bro & I did a Ride day at Eastern Creek in Sydney a few years back & swapped bikes for a session ( I was on the K100RS as it was pre-Paso). The BMW was by far faster down the main straight where it would pass the Hailwood mid straight but come into the turns (particularily the very fast turn 1) & the Hailwood walked all over the BMW. I have never ridden something that was so stable in a corner. I have ridden a lot of bikes & a fair few Ducati old & new & nothing has ever come close to the handling of this thing. My sister had a 600 pantah of similiar vintage & that was great but not the same as this MHR. Everything about this bike just oozes character. the sound of the Conti pipes (I think he actually has Staintune conti replicas nowdays & the Contis are hanging in the shed) was absolutely awesome. Every other rider there would stop & just stare awestruck as the Hailwood charged down the straight (being convincingly passed by the latest Jap Superbikes). It made it rather embarrassing then when I dropped it down a cog into turn 1 & found a false nuetral that then dropped in just as I was about to go bush, saved it though & got an ovation next time round (not that I could hear it over the Duke). To ride is very different because you sit so much taller than other bikes & it is always a challenge to kick start a 900 twin, especialy when being watched by 30 other riders.

It is very much like the Paso (with webers at least) in that it is not the bike you ride round town to pose on. It wants to be ridden on open & twisty roads. We have done tours together where he loaded it & carried the little lady on the back for 2-3 week trips & it was very capable, funny to watch him have to start it & then the missus would load the tankbag etc on as he could not kick start it with a full pack sitting on the tank.

I can certianly see why Mike Hailwood had the grin he did, it was from this bike! :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Yes, Red, it ocurred to me after I posted the question that it might be a MHR, and not an MHRe, but it was interesting to read your reply anyway. Thanks.

There's an MHR living just around the corner from me in fact, but the guy doesn't take it out much, as he's just looking after it for someone - has been for several years, actually. I've had a pretty good look at it, but would never have the cheek to ask for a ride.
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Hmmm - I could probably tolerate having to look after a bike like that for a couple of years too Skins :thumbup: :thumbup:

(Obviously - I must be getting aroud with the wrong sorta people - have'nt had the offer yet..... :roll: )