Electrical Problem

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Theo

Electrical Problem

Post by Theo »

Hello, I thought I sent in a topic about my 88 750 paso but I cant find it now. Any way my bike now and then cuts off all eletrical power except when the key is almost in the locked postion then only th etail lights and headlight light dumby light comes on, only way I can get the ingnition on is when I hook up a volt meter to the battery or the regulator and starting solonoid just to check for volts then all is well that sounds kinda weird huh! I installed a new battery that didnt help either. Does any body here in the forum think if I due the wiring upgrade this fix the problem or any comments and help would be great.

Thanks
Ride with pride
Theo
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Theo,

I sent a reply to your email but will cover it again here too.

ALL of the power is switched by the ignition switch. It most likely needs to be cleaned. You can remove it, take it apart and clean the contacts. It just depends on how handy you are.

The electical system on the Paso is crap. You need to clean the many connections to make sure it is in proper ( but poor) condidition. The only way I was able to overcome the many electrical issues that plagued my Paso was to modifiy the wiring. There is a thread that has some info on back a few months. I will email you the directions to make the mods direct.

Good luck.
Theo

Paso electrical problems?

Post by Theo »

Thanks for your reply ,is this the wiring upgrade that you install new relays and a inline fuse and such?

Thank you
Theo
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Paso electrical problems?

Post by jcslocum »

Theo wrote:Thanks for your reply ,is this the wiring upgrade that you install new relays and a inline fuse and such?

Thank you
Theo
Yes. Your email bounced back BTW.
Theo

Wiring worked great

Post by Theo »

Thanks Jon

I did the wiring this past weekend. It took about 2hrs. Now my Paso runs like a race horse. Now if I could only stop the clutch from making that nasty scraping sound!

Thanks again
Theo :thumbup:
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

... so DONT DO ANYTHING to clutch! ;-)))

Finnpaso
907IE
750Paso
Gwenadu

Post by Gwenadu »

My Paso is a 88 model (number 7543777) with Marelli ignition system. I am modifing the wiring -I have to adapt Jon advices (thanks Jon!) to this model, wires colors are sometimes different...-
Today the +supply of the digiplex is by the emergency stop button. I thing it could be fine to connect the digiplex on the outlet of the 2nd new relay with the coils. I could connect the red button between the battery and the (key) ignition switch (serie wiring) to keep it in use. The strenght in wire must be low enough now. My english is bad... sorry!
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool: Re the noisy clutch: Read the Topic 'New Bike' by motiztab. About half way through the noisy clutch comes up. Go to http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paso/pasolist.htm#Clutch on the web.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Gwenadu, your English is very good. If you use jon slocum's wiring plan, the kill switch (emergency stop botton) will still work.
motiztab

Post by motiztab »

Theo, Skins is right regarding the clutch. When I got mine this year it made a heck of a racket much more than it should even for a Ducati dry clutch. I used the link that he posted regarding plates and the differing types used. Best advice I can say is get some brake/clutch cleaner in a spray can. Take the clutch apart but keep the plates in order of removal so you can put them back in the same place, give it all, plates and basket a good clean, but becarefull of the release located in the casing. Try that first before changing out for new plates.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

The 750 clutch tho dry is fully enclosed. It must really be MAKING some noise to be heard over the pipes.
Theo

Clutch noise

Post by Theo »

It only makes the noise when you pull the clutch in "sounds like maybe the plates are scraping together?" :confused: I will most definately take it apart and clean via the advice given. Thanks everyone! I dont know if I mentioned it earlier but I have the 1988 blue 750 paso after market pipes and I believe 90mm high compression pistons and euro tail. I fell in love with her a few years ago when my best friend bought her. Now he has a Red 1995 900ss"You might have seen her reccently on E-bay, last week he one the bid" any how now she mine, and with all the great advice she will be running new again. The bike gets alot of looks where ever I go. Most people think its a new bike and they cant believe how ausome it sounds. Hopefully I can give some great advice too in the forum someday!

Thanks again guys
Theo :thumbup:
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Theo,

Time to check the bearing inside the clutch cover for wear/lube. If it's not just typical ducati "clatter", it might be the bearing screaming.