Timing and valves

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Theo

Timing and valves

Post by Theo »

Hello all.

Has any body done there own timing belt change and valve adjustments I have 12,000 on mine and just found out this has to be done, any info or advice would be great.

Thanks
Theo
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

The belts are a breeze to do and will take about 45 minutes to change.

The valves are on the hard side to do but if you are good with your hands. See this site for simple to follow instructions:

http://www.ducatisuite.com/maintenance.html

Good luck!
Theo

Timing Belt/Valves

Post by Theo »

Thanks Again, your a bike saver!

Theo :thumbup:
Theo

Timing/Valves

Post by Theo »

Jon,
I need to order the belts and are there shims that I have to order for the valves as well ?or anything else you think I might need to due this job

Thanks again
Theo
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

You only have to order shims if the clearances are out of spec. You may very well find out that everything inside the valve service is within proper tolerance - in which case you're good to go. You will need to order new valve cover gaskets though - you can order those (along with the belts) up front.

The nuisance of doing the valves yourself is that you need to take it apart, do you measurements (double & triple check), make your calculations and then order the right replacements - if you have a dealer shop near you, they might be able to hook you up. They may even take your old shims on trade or at least as a 'core' charge (not that they're expensive). But unless you feel like spending $200+ for the mini shim kit, there'll be a little time lag between starting surgery and stitching her back together. ;)
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
jfiore
year: 0

Valve Adjustment

Post by jfiore »

You may also find, depending on the year of your Paso, that you have to remove the rocker pins to take out the shims. The newer bikes apparently have the same sort of clip retaining the rocker arms as the more modern Ducatis (SS, Monster, etc.), but the older Pasos require the rocker pins to be pulled out in order to move the rocker arms for shim access. Other than that, the instructions in the Ducatisuite link above are good.

It's not that difficult, it just takes some time to complete, especially if you have to change all of the shims.

BTW, if you have to change the closer shims, you should also replace the half-rings which retain the shims on the valve stems.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

I believe jfiore is correct - and that actually may hold true for all Pantah engines. Compared to the newer engines, which have a spring clip that essentially wedges the arm into place on its rocker, the older Pantah engines aren't quite as enlightened. Not that it's a huge deal, and if you haven't worked on a newer engine, you won't notice. But after doing this valve service, you'll notice should ever you work on a newer engine. ;)

Actually, if you're feeling saucy, I think ProItalia out in California sells a DVD detailing the valve service. A friend of mine has the older VCR tape version in which they actually take an aside and demonstrate with a Pantah head (off the bike of course, so it looks like a piece of cake).

Otherwise, first time through this whole process? If you're mechanically inclined, done carefully, I'd set aside at least three hours to get everything apart; if you're not so inclined ... much longer. ;)

In regards to the half-rings on the valves, you may consider replacing them with a collet set from Martin Brickwood Performance; it'll run you about $150USD and it should extend your service interval from 6k to 18k (according to them). The nice thing - you can call and speak with Martin himself; he's a great guy - very helpful and pleased to speak with anyone.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Timing/Valves

Post by jcslocum »

Theo wrote:I need to order the belts and are there shims that I have to order for the valves as well ?or anything else you think I might need to due this job
Theo,

Some of the shims (maybe all) will need to be changed to effect the adjustment. Due to the VERY small tolerances (could someone please show me their .000" feeler guage??) involved. The best way to do this is make all you your measurements and chart them. Remove the shims that need to be replaced (marking location of shims and retaining rings) and ship them to BCM in New Hampshire. Bruce will measure your shims and ship you back the properly sized replacement shims. The reason for shipping the old shims is so that they can be measured with the same micrometer as the replacements. Trust me on this, it make a difference.

You then install and go riding.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Timing/Valves

Post by fasterdammit »

jcslocum wrote:(could someone please show me their .000" feeler guage??)
:funny: :laugh:

I thought the same thing when I first dug into the Monster's valves ...
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Theo

Timing and Valves

Post by Theo »

You guys are ausome!
Thanks
Theo :thumbup:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

It is essential that the motor is stone cold when you do the valve adjustment. Any warmth in the components will make accurate measurement of clearances impossible.

It is recommended that the work be done after the bike has sat overnight. Even doing the work in the evening after the bike was ridden in the morning is not advisable.

Think twice about any shop that does not say you'll have to come back the next day to collect the bike.