New tires ?

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

jayh
model: 750 Paso
year: 1986

Re: New tires ?

Post by jayh »

Hi Randtcastell, the front I am using is an avon azaro 170/70/16,these are a very circular profile when fitted and have negligible countersteer issues. There is more data written on the tyre,I will have a look when I get home from work,as it is too dark and cold out there at the moment .J.
angelix
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1990

Post by angelix »

I dont get it, if the right size is available (now) why going for a wrong size?

Just because they are expensive? Unless you change 3 sets a year , the cost does not make much sense, no? :huh:

In any case knowing you need 1.5 sets (two rears and 1 front) per season, if you buy them together the shipping charges get "diluted".
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

Me 880 ............... a touring tire fitted to harleys and a totally mismatched avon on the front , is better than the ( now available) correct sized matching pair , or whatever on 17's ( or even my crumbling perished pile of michelins .... Hi G :P )..... get your hand off it !! :D :lol: maybe you should just get the rest of the harley :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

gotta say the only thing amusing me here is that Jay is using a wider tire in the front than in the rear. I thought it was a typo the first time he wrote it but there it is again ;)
..., the front I am using is an avon azaro 170/70/16 ...
McTool with many modern tourers being stronger and faster than an 888 I don`t agree their tires can`t be driven on a Paso. I wouldn`t say that for every tourer tire but at least for the newer models that are developed not only for tourers but also for customs etc. I wouldn`t use a tire that`s mainly for Harleys. The main downside of these tires is that they are thicker, hence get up to temperature slower.
Of course these tires may handle a bit different but performancewise they`ll still exceed most of our skills. I don`t think I`d like the idea of different tires on front and rear but that`s another story.

G.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

paso750 wrote:gotta say the only thing amusing me here is that Jay is using a wider tire in the front than in the rear. I thought it was a typo the first time he wrote it but there it is again ;)
..., the front I am using is an avon azaro 170/70/16 ...
McTool with many modern tourers being stronger and faster than an 888 I don`t agree their tires can`t be driven on a Paso. I wouldn`t say that for every tourer tire but at least for the newer models that are developed not only for tourers but also for customs etc. I wouldn`t use a tire that`s mainly for Harleys. The main downside of these tires is that they are thicker, hence get up to temperature slower.
Of course these tires may handle a bit different but performancewise they`ll still exceed most of our skills. I don`t think I`d like the idea of different tires on front and rear but that`s another story.

G.
Yeah , I know all that G ( well most of it :) ) but he's australian :D and its my duty as a patriotic Kiwi to take the piss ( and I was getting to the 170 front tire thing ) :lol: :lol: .
However , as J sez its almost the same dimentions as the michelin and being a touring tire it might last a bit longer which in itself has to be a good thing
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
jayh

Post by jayh »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Left myself wide open for that one didn't I !!
Sorry guys,I should have picked that up the first time,then I just looked back to my last post and copied my mistake - (bleary eyes it was early hours before work),but I'm sure you know what size I meant.

Avon azaro AV45 ST 130/70/16 .......There you go,just to show I'm on not a total fuckwit,(only half).

Angelix, I don't need new tyres and probably wont need any for 18 months at the rate they are wearing.If they were handling poorly I would replace them,but they are not.If I did need new tyres at this point in time,I would probably not buy golden tyres based on the fact that they are as yet unproven tyres from a company that I have heard nothing about.The last soft front tyre I had,a dunlop sportmax,lasted less than 1000 km's-thats equates to 5 new front tyres a year for me. The Paso wears flat spots on either side of centre,very quickly,and once they develop,they seem to increase to the point where the tyre is useless in the handling department even quicker.
My local bike shop couldn't believe that I was back for a new tyre so soon.They put the fast wearing down to the fact that the Paso is fairly heavy in the front and has a steep fork rake.I told them I wanted a harder compound and they came up with the azaro st45,a far better wearing tyre.
The moral of the story,is be wary of soft compounds on the front of the paso,unless you have heard otherwise.
So far the only reviews that I have heard on the golden tyres,is that they are soft.

Now to deal with that pesky Kiwi....The Tyres are from different manufacturers yes,but not 'totally mismatched',
they are both rated in excess of the pasos capabilities,very similar compounds,and are used widely on sports tourers,not just harleys,the tread patterns are also almost the same,some people don't have the option of using different manufacturers front and rear,but where I live we can ,as long as they are of the same construction. J.
ir_joep
model: 750 Sport
year: 1989

Prices in The Netherlands

Post by ir_joep »

Hi,

From The Netherlands:

I could finally order a set from Golden tyre trough the dutch importer and my dealer.

About 500 euro with fitting balancing etc.

My dealer is MOTORTOER in Amsterdam if you are interested.

Kind regards

Joep
cicos68

Post by cicos68 »

Hello all.
Sorry for my English not perfect.
I use google translator to help me.
is some time since I last wrote on the forum.
In the past I have written many sellers of tires in Italy.
Now I've come to know through this forum that has produced tires for Goldentyre Paso 750.
I am very happy.
Unfortunately Goldentyre seems to send the tires only in Italy and a few other nations.
In June, after about four years I have contacted a company,
saying that the tires were Goldentyre also available on their web site.
The price looks the same for the front and slightly higher for the rear, even if the delivery appears to be less than that of Goldentyre.
I inform you, because surely this company can ship the tires Goldentyre outside Italy.
Faithfully carry the mail received:
"" "" "" "
Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXXXXXXX,
to inform you that we have available covers from 16 "for Ducati, the company that produces them is the Goldentyre, when we have a small sampling that we have yet to try since it's a model just came out.
The new covers are already published in our web catalog http://www.nikpneumatici.com
sincerely

Francesco Nicoletti

NIK John Nicoletti B.
Via Labor, 1-36050 Bolzano Vicenza (VI) ITALY
0444 350736
0444 351121
info@nikpneumatici.com
http://www.nikpneumatici.com

"" "" "" "" "" "" "

Contact her, who knows they can ship the tires out of Italy

A hello to all those owners PASO 750
Attachments
A&C (733)_ridimensionare.JPG
A&C (733)_ridimensionare.JPG (82.79 KiB) Viewed 9073 times
DSCF1551.JPG
DSCF1551.JPG (110.96 KiB) Viewed 9073 times
A&C (682)_ridimensionare.JPG
A&C (682)_ridimensionare.JPG (89.44 KiB) Viewed 9073 times
pasoalf
year: 1987

Post by pasoalf »

Hi,
I already made some kilometers on the 750 with the following combination:
Front: Metzerler Sportec 130/70/16
Rear: Goldentire 160/60/16
I'm still a bit careful, because some rubber pins are still on.
In terms of handling I'm very satisfied. It still needs a bit of countersteering, but besides that the bike behaves very handy. Also passing narrow corners is a joy now. Concerning grip I still have to get some more kilometers to make a statement. So far I'm comfortable whit it.
I don't regret taken of the Avon Cobra. The goldentire is for me clearly the better choice.
If you have the opportunity to get a goldentire rear, i believe no reason not to buy.
What I'm going to do with the Front tire is still open. I always mixed brands on the Paso, because the behavior withe the original front tire was problematic (dangerous). On the 906 i have currently a conti sportattac (130/70/16). This one works very well with the original Michelin.
I may try this one, because, from the experience with the Original Michelin front, I prefer a Slightly rounder profile in front.
Paso 750/ 1987
Paso 906/ 1992
jayh

Post by jayh »

What I'm going to do with the Front tire is still open. I always mixed brands on the Paso, because the behavior withe the original front tire was problematic (dangerous)
Yes for a person not familiar with the paso,the handling with the original front tyre is dangerous
a skinnier more rounded profile eliminates 90% of this behaviour. J
hardo
year: 0

Post by hardo »

Yes, the original michelins are horrible, I agree

As some of you are already using the new goldentires (front and rear).....can anyone comment on the behavoiur of the new tires?

Did anyone made some miles on the new tires and hence can give us a wider picture?

Thank you and keep on riding, Hardo :)
ir_joep
model: 750 Sport
year: 1989

Post by ir_joep »

Hi,

Got my golden tyres today!

Looking good but I have to get used to the new looks of the tyre.

Paid €500,- which is reather heavy. The dealer told me this is about the same I would pay for a set of tyres for a modern high preformance ducati....

Have to wait a little for my first drive because the engine is still in bits.

Cheers Joep
Mark
year: 0

Post by Mark »

Hello Everybody,

Just picked up my DB1SR from the garage this morning after a full service which also included overhauled front and rear suspension by Ohlins and new tyres - what a difference the new tyres make. The difference is like night and day upon comparison to the old 2004 Michelins! It is actually enjoyable to drive the bike on long sweeping curves out in the countryside...

With the help of the mechanic at the garage my old 750 Paso will be brought back to life during the winter and the new tyres are ready and waiting...

Going out for another ride in a few moments... Life is good, for the time being at least... :thumbup:

Cheers,

Mark