Michelin M59 - Simply.Superior \+\

Post by plasmid »

ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: Michelin M59 - Simply.Superior \+\

Post by ducinthebay »

Not a bad tire design for 25 years ago. But technology has changed, and tires have improved. I can think of no tire design that is still around after 25 years that anyone is concerned about besides the old Firestones that everyone on Pipeburn us using.

What are the initial road tests saying about the Golden Tire?

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
plasmid
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Michelin M59 - Simply.Superior \+\

Post by plasmid »

ducinthebay wrote:Not a bad tire design for 25 years ago. But technology has changed, and tires have improved. I can think of no tire design that is still around after 25 years that anyone is concerned about besides the old Firestones that everyone on Pipeburn us using.

What are the initial road tests saying about the Golden Tire?

Cheers, Phil

I'm sure there are others but

Michelin XWX on 70's Ferrari's, Lambo's, Maserati's, Citroen's etc
Still produced - 400-600 USD / tire.

Michelin MXL, XAS - 70's Alfa's, Citroen's

As far as tire technology improving - there is of course the idea of perpetual progress that persists,
but ultimately, it's just a different feel.

I much prefer the XWX's and MXL's to newer tires.
And they look right.

On the Paso I have only tried the M/A59's,
and the GoldenTyre tires are probably better handling,
but it's not always about better measurable 'performance'

And the M/A59's look right, even if the Paso's a modern looking bike.
pasoalf

Re: New tires ?

Post by pasoalf »

Hi,
The baby just arrived today. I ordered it last week at Delticom (http://www.reifenditekt.ch)
It looks perfect. Like a real sport tire, and as mentioned its soft. Please stop discussing about things like profile.....
Who cares about that? I still consider the Paso as a sport bike. And therefore just three things matter: grip, handling, grip.....
I'm still waiting for the 38 crown (I've put a 40 on the 750 because the Avon Cobra hat a bigger diameter). So I still have to wait until next week to find out how it feels..... But Iv it drive how it looks...
Here a few Pictures just for the guys who still are waiting for it
Comparison between Goldentire and original Michelin (on the 906)
How it may look (without rim on the 750)
Comparison with the Avon Cobra which i now will replace
Paso 750/ 1987
Paso 906/ 1992
pasoalf

Post by pasoalf »

Hi,
I've just mounted them today. Unfortunately Crown and chainlock still missing. Hope they arrive next week. Here now how it looks. How it feels I will be able to tell you next weekend
Paso 750/ 1987
Paso 906/ 1992
fredskidoo

Post by fredskidoo »

plasmid wrote:

Doesn't make too much sense.

In the EU they're about 300Euro per set.

Shipping them to the US should deduct the VAT (19%), so about 250 euro per set.

Shipping can't be 300 euros.

Add customs fees and you get crazy costs overall
You would be surprised.

Nicola (ducapaso) purchased my aftermarket Airtech competition fairing set and the best deal I could find to
ship from northern California to Sienna, Italy was $450 USD - qoutes from other shipping agents were as high as $1100
'87 750 Paso 751412
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

pasoalf wrote:Hi,
I've just mounted them today. Unfortunately Crown and chainlock still missing. Hope they arrive next week. Here now how it looks. How it feels I will be able to tell you next weekend
Lovely bike with great silencers!!!
She looks so good with those new tires. Too big that 180 rear tire.
I'm curious about ride feeling. Let us know.
Ciao :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
jayh
year: 1986

Post by jayh »

My 'too big 180' ,handles and wears very well thankyou,not to mention the fact that it is easy to obtain,a lot cheaper than trying to import yourself,requires no modifications to bike,and is very hard to pick any difference in looks with the bike side on.(and not a lot of difference rear on,I doubt anyone would pick the difference if it rode past them).

Unlike the yet to be proven,hard to obtain,and expensive for some, copy of the earlier michelin and pirellis,which by the way ,were not a successful tyre in the handling department,and contributed much to the average reviews which the paso and f1's fitted with these tyres recieved .

About the only advantage I can see from the reviews thus far is the fact they are a soft compound and will hang on well if you are going hard,but this may turn out to be their downside as the paso makes short work of destroying soft front tyres,so keep your wallets fat.

For those that are not allowed to fit different makes or types of tyres,to their paso's,I'm sure that these tyres are a god send,but for the rest unless your racing,I really can't see what all the fuss is about.Go buy a tyre locally that fits,and ride...simple ? J.
Bad Cornflakes

Post by Bad Cornflakes »

jayh wrote:My 'too big 180' ,handles and wears very well thankyou,not to mention the fact that it is easy to obtain,a lot cheaper than trying to import yourself,requires no modifications to bike,and is very hard to pick any difference in looks with the bike side on.(and not a lot of difference rear on,I doubt anyone would pick the difference if it rode past them).

Unlike the yet to be proven,hard to obtain,and expensive for some, copy of the earlier michelin and pirellis,which by the way ,were not a successful tyre in the handling department,and contributed much to the average reviews which the paso and f1's fitted with these tyres recieved .

About the only advantage I can see from the reviews thus far is the fact they are a soft compound and will hang on well if you are going hard,but this may turn out to be their downside as the paso makes short work of destroying soft front tyres,so keep your wallets fat.

For those that are not allowed to fit different makes or types of tyres,to their paso's,I'm sure that these tyres are a god send,but for the rest unless your racing,I really can't see what all the fuss is about.Go buy a tyre locally that fits,and ride...simple ? J.
Which 180 tire do you use? I thought the sprockets had to be shimmed to use them?? If there are no mods required then who freaking cares what it looks like. I just want a tire for a reasonable price that I can ride on. The front already has been modified to fit a 70 series on it. I just need a back tire in a bad way!

Thanks,

Jason
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

jayh wrote:My 'too big 180' ,handles and wears very well thankyou,not to mention the fact that it is easy to obtain,a lot cheaper than trying to import yourself,requires no modifications to bike,and is very hard to pick any difference in looks with the bike side on.(and not a lot of difference rear on,I doubt anyone would pick the difference if it rode past them).

Yeah yeah yeah an a dingo ate my baby too :P .
The only thing that looks right is a 160-60-16
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
jayh

Post by jayh »

Mikunis too ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ,c'mon,not many seem too concerned about the originality of their paso's on this site,(they swap to 17" wheels even),they seem more concerned with how they perform,my point is anyone expecting a magic bullet in the handling department,from these tyres could be expecting too much,they are 16 inch tyres,after all,and weren't great to start with.

If you are having trouble getting hold of a set of golden tyres,or they a going to be too expensive then
there are other good options for those allowed to use them,options that may be a lot cheaper and better wearing,for those that don't ride like Rossi.

Gowanlochs are selling sets of golden tyres for AUD $400.00 at the moment,but I certainly won't be rushing out
to buy a set until my current set are no longer roadworthy,and at least by this time there should be some feedback on how they wear/behave,enough hopefully to make an educated decision on whether they are worth
fitting,or whether to stick with what I have,and are really enjoying using.

Metzeler ME880 Jason,those that have tried them on the paso are happy with them.plenty of reviews on them if you google them.A more circular profile front tyre seems to make the biggest difference to handling,not the wider
more crescent shaped style of tyres,these require far more counter steering,I'm very happy with the avon azaro 170/70/16,good combo with me880. J.
RADDUCK

Post by RADDUCK »

All the more evidence to support the fact that you marry a Paso more than buy one. It's not a turn-key run-of-the-mill motorcycle for the masses. Each owner must expect to tailor his machine to his own tastes & purposes... that's part of the mystique and experience... at least for me. :wacko: I've had many a great conversation with fellow Ducati riders in the bay area about the bike and especially the tires. Its often the first indicator that someone knows what their admiring. I'm due for a new front tire here soon and this will probably be the last time I get to ride the bike with a matched set of A/M 59's. I don't mind them at all, in fact they stick pretty nicely when all warmed up and their capabilities still seem far beyond my abilities. I'm not shy either, I don my full leathers and try my best to keep the chassis settled being as smooth as possible through the corners. I can't get a knee down but the front edge of the toe on the outside of my boots takes a beating and on rare occasion the clamp for the 2in1 Gio. CA Moto Exhaust will rub the ground. I have 2 Avon Front's and 1 more M59 rear sitting in the garage which should take me through the next few years of twisty's
RADDUCK

02 Honda RC51 SP2
87 Paso 750 - Dropped but ride-able
03 Triumph Bonneville - Basket case (resto in the works)
88 Porsche 911 Carrera
04 Subaru STI
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

"Mystique and experiance" .... what a load of shit ! :P you guys are as bad as each other, and now its my turn.
They sure aint a good 1st bike (even if it was a 250) more suited to an experianced rider/owner( specially some smartarse who thinks he's seen everything heh heh heh )
But they are different to most other bikes , either love em or hate em, and that starts with the looks , and the fact that its not japanese ( nothing against jap bikes .... I have 3 )..... see a jap bike is so ..... sorted ( usually ) ya just buy one and everything is ok , all very clinical ( no soul ..... heard that before ) but the ole paso..... faaaark where do you start. Instead of wankin on about all that goes wrong we could just agree that a bit of modificatin aint a bad thing. A paso is a "paint by numbers" bike in that we all start with the same basic picture and then we add individuallity .... at varying skill levels. A lot of pasos wind up in the hands of practicle people who are able to sort all the issues, probly because the word has got round and we see these things as a challenge and a nice bike .
So 17's , mikuni's , exhausts, 4 pots . Each individuals approach to what he percieves as a problem is what makes them ( paso's ) interesting. For me the wrong sized tire crammed onto the bike looks wrong . If I cant keep 16's lookin right I would rather go to 17's ( the later 907 had them so they are still " paso" ) and enjoy the wider range of tires available as a trade off
H
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
jayh

Post by jayh »

I'm not sure that you have seen the metzeler tyre fitted Mctool :P To put this debate in perspective ,I'll post the actual measured sizes from pasoalfs chart : michelin A59 diameter 605 mm, width 165 mm Metzeler ME880 diameter 615 mm,width 174 mm. Thats a whopping 9mm wider than stock (5 %) and a huge increase of 10 mm (1.7 %) in diameter.These look nothing like the 180 avon cobras,they are much smaller both in width and diameter.Like I said ,I really don't understand what all the fuss is about :roll: :roll: . J.

courtesy of cellardoor:

Ready to concede yet ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
randtcastell

Post by randtcastell »

I just ordered an ME880 180/60. Thanks for the data and the insights. Could you please clarify the choice you've made for the front tire? Thanks again.
1987 Ducati P750
1973 Honda CB450
2022 KTM RC390