simple solution transfer to 180 bridgestone

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Brutus
model: 750 Paso
year: 1989

simple solution transfer to 180 bridgestone

Post by Brutus »

Gents, my solution is an 180/60/zr16 bridgestone g704 with altered driveline. 5mm distance at the back end. In total 5mm at the front with an 851 sprocket (much thicker), see pics. First an alu plate for the exact offset and mounting with one bolt in the centre. Second plate has exactly enough room to fit over the head of the bolt. In other words: the 2nd plate slides over the head of the bolt. Finally fitted the two little bolts through the plates on the sprocket.
Léon

Last edited by Brutus on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Re: simple solution transfer to 180 bridgestone

Post by paso750 »

Hi, you`re better off replacing those toothed washers with normal ones and using Loctite instead.
Those things are ok for electrical connections but not for much else. Most of the toothed or spring washers will already be squashed at only 5% of the bolt`s preload force so they become ineffective long before the proper torque is reached.
Also it makes no sense putting them between a bolt and a washer. :wink:
Never mind, just want everyone to be and stay safe.

G.

PS: does the front sprocket still have play ? There should be about 0,3mm if my memory serves me well.
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Tx for the reply. I used washers and loctite. You're right, I'll get those washers out. Furthermore, currently there is no axial play, cause its directly bolted on the axle. I could machine this with a small bushing that sticks out 0,3mm. Agree?
Léon

Post by Brutus »

paso750 wrote:Hi, you`re better off replacing those toothed washers with normal ones and using Loctite instead.
Those things are ok for electrical connections but not for much else. Most of the toothed or spring washers will already be squashed at only 5% of the bolt`s preload force so they become ineffective long before the proper torque is reached.
Also it makes no sense putting them between a bolt and a washer. :wink:
Never mind, just want everyone to be and stay safe.

G.

PS: does the front sprocket still have play ? There should be about 0,3mm if my memory serves me well.
Cause the previous construction didn't had any axial freeplay at all, I've made something else. The first plate (see first picture on top of this page) is used to mount the sprocket and it touches the axle for the desired offset. The center hole of this plate I've milled allot wider. In this hole there is another bushing fitted, but approx 0,3mm thicker than the first plate. It is not "connected" to eachother, but it'll keep the first plate in place. I've used loctite 2701 to be sure it won't come off.

Last edited by Brutus on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Jeffreyt »

Hello Léon,

After reading your solution transfer to the 180 bridgestone. I have not replaced the tires on my '87 Paso before and am not quite following your process. It appears that you only posted pictures of the forward sprocket. It looks as if you put the 5mm spacer between the sprocket and the engine. Did you just put spacers between the rear sprocket and the wheel? I really appreciate any help you may offer as I am not a great mechanic. I'm more of a body guy.

Thanks
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Below a couple of pictures of the current setup. As an extra 'ensurance' I've added a strip that will prevent losing the central bolt. The rear sprocket is offset as I used an old alu sprocket and turned it down on a lathe.

paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

It looks as if you put the 5mm spacer between the sprocket and the engine.
No, what he did was the combination of 2 things. Leon used a sprocket with less offset and moved it to the end of the drive shaft.
It`s basically this:
The bigger plate has a center hole that`s smaller than the driveshaft diameter so it doesn`t allow the sprocket to move inwards. The smaller part sits in the bigger plate and is mounted to the driveshaft by the center bolt. This prevents the sprocket to come off the driveshaft and still lets the sprocket its required axial play.

G.
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

and a quick drawing of the current setup.

Post by Brutus »

paso750 wrote:
It looks as if you put the 5mm spacer between the sprocket and the engine.
No, what he did was the combination of 2 things. Leon used a sprocket with less offset and moved it to the end of the drive shaft.
It`s basically this:
The bigger plate has a center hole that`s smaller than the driveshaft diameter so it doesn`t allow the sprocket to move inwards. The smaller part sits in the bigger plate and is mounted to the driveshaft by the center bolt. This prevents the sprocket to come off the driveshaft and still lets the sprocket its required axial play.

G.
Thats it! :thumbup: Furthermore I used an 851 sprocket with approx 16mm width. Compensates the gap for the original clip in the axle.
Léon

Post by Jeffreyt »

Thanks Leon,

I appreciate the drawings. A picture worth a lot, etc. Any suggestions on where to get the two sprockets?

Thanks for everything. I feel like I can do this properly now.

Jeffreyt
Needham, MA
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

No problem :thumbup:

Maybe this will help:

front sprocket
http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/3417

rear sprocket