discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

jthomso1
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Another New Member ................

Post by jthomso1 »

Hi Guys,
I have just registered today for the site, wandering through the various post I am impressed with the number of Paso's still on the road - enjoyed the articles and also the posted photos, nice to know I am not alone.

I have a 750 Paso that I wish to return to the road as I thoroughly enjoy it as a ride, it has been sitting in my barn for about 6 - 7 years now since its last outing. The bike has spent most of it's life in SE Asia near the equator before I received it. It was the 1st, & only bike I have received that had a lizards nest sitting between the cylinders. The gentleman I received the bike from had owned it since brand new and parted with only it only due to his age. Like to keep it running in recognition of his generosity.

Given that it is in reasonable condition for its age my aim is to achieve a 'representative' condition of a 30+ year old bike, mainly overcoming the accumulated results of its life in a hot & humid climate. I am fortunate to have an excellent Ducati engineer close by that has worked on my past Ducati's. I have also been fortunate to buying replacement tail & blinker lens', plus a new instrument circuit panel, switches from my local Ducati dealer, internet, etc.

The major issue, due to location (New Zealand), is body work - the age of the bodywork, and no doubt the original construction materials, is extremely fragile, I suspect due to the SE Asian climate. I have attempted to repair the fractures via plastic welding, with varying success or otherwise.

Some simple questions to start with:

1. Is there anywhere that I purchase either new or used 750 fairing side panels (left & right)?
2. Can either fairing panels be replaced with panels from either a 906 or 907 Paso?
3. If no to either of the above - can anyone offer a suggestion for alternative fairing panels?
4. Alternative to the original 750 headlight? The current light unit has a layer of 'growth' on the inside that delivers light slightly stronger than a candle. It does make night riding interesting to say the least.

Thanks in advance
JT
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Another New Member ................

Post by paso750 »

JT,

please add your location to your profile. That`ll help you in future.
Most fairing parts except oil cooler conveyors and taillight fairing are glassfibre so they are best repaired with resin (and glassfibre mats), not plastic weld.

Regarding your questions:
1. ebay, if you`re lucky some breaker or maybe Trade Me
2. no, headlight and front side fairings are different. The rest except the 907ie tank is interchangeable
3. http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/ These are said to be lighter and not fit that well. Also getting a reply from Airtech sometimes can be difficult
4. There are two headlights. A CEV and the KOITO. The difference is the shape of the reflector. Some say the KOITO gives a better light. It`s the same as on early Yamaha FZ750, hence not hard to find.
Do check also the electrics. The old wiring in the Paso with its voltage drops can cause everything from weak spark to dimmer lights.

G.
Fraser
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

JT,

Odd body bits come up on TradeMe now and then, just keep looking. Also you can try ducatispares.co.nz (in Dunedin)as they are wrecking a Paso 750, or try Phil at desmocycle@paradise.net.nz (in Christchurch) or Italspares (Australia) at iangowanloch@bigpond.com (they have an ever changing inventory and you could be lucky).

Cheers,

Fraser.
750 Paso
1980 Moto Morini 500 Sport
delagem
year: 0

Post by delagem »

I'm not absolutely 100% certain, but I believe the 907 bodywork can be fitted to the 750 Paso, if you change all 3 pieces. Unsure if this means the 906 could be fitted as well.

Here is a photo of my 750 Paso, which has 907 bodywork on it. (sorry the 996 blocks half the bike, but you can see how the 907 fairing fits the 750 gas tank)

I have run the AirTech products on many bikes; it's thin, it doesn't crash well at all (polyester resin fiberglass isn't as durable as epoxy resin), and the fitment isn't perfect. But they're one of the few (maybe only?) that even provide product for older bikes like ours. But it may not even be an option in Oz, if they don't import...
The $900 Paso: DellOrto's, Dyna 5 ohm coils, Ignitech TCIP4; finally, a new set of tires! Goldentyre GT070/071

The bike is gone, but the nightmares continue...
jthomso1

Post by jthomso1 »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will check on the fibre glass suggestion for the fairing repair. My fairing is unlike any glass fairing from my previous Duc's.

Regards
JT
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

delagem, of course you can fit the front fairing parts but as you say only if you swap them all. Furthermore, if I remember well what someone told me once, the side fairings need modification to fit the oil coolers.

Fibre glass repair was no problem on these parts

G.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:)

Giday Fraser. I thought Desmocycle had closed up. Is he still going?

Erskine.
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Welcome on board and have a good work restoring your 750 (I also would like a gentleman gifted a 750 to me :mrgreen: ).
You will not have so much trouble to find the items you need.
Have you tried to clean the headlamp?
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
jthomso1

Post by jthomso1 »

G - appreciate your pictures of the repaired fairing, certainly I will pursue with an alternative fibreglass 'guy' that did my other fairing repairs. It will certainly easier to work with that plastic welding results.

persempre907 - I am cautious regarding the cleaning as the film is 'cloudy' as a result of the very hot & humid climate, plus the window cleaning fluid may react against the "silver" backing.

I also agree that the Paso is a very enjoyable ride as long as to understand it is not a sporting bike like the SS or the Duck's that followed. It is one bike that I can ride for hours without getting sore or tired.

Cheers JT
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

that was before repair. I had just removed the paint from all cracks ;)

G.