I hate to say goodbye..

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

scimmione
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

I hate to say goodbye..

Post by scimmione »

But, I am sorry to say, I'm done with the Paso. I'll be selling my '87 as soon as I round-up all my paperwork, manuals and such.

I wanted to give you guys a heads-up in case anyone here has thoughts of picking up another. She's about 90%, only needs a little work to get to 100%; ie fork seals, a little touch-up paint hear & there. And tires.....Oh those fk'n tires..... :roll:

I've been trying to ride as often as possible, but those old Michelin A & M59's don't have much life left in them. I didn't want to wear them completely out before I got a set of GT's. I'm tired of being careful, tired of checking every day for availability of those damn tires and tired of trying to justify $800 for a single set when they finally get here.

I turn down ride after ride cause I know I'll out run of tire and I don't want to wreck her. My only choice, if I want to ride, is to let her go and get something I can ride anywhere all year long. My loyalties have shifted North from Italy to Austria, my colors from Red to Orange: KTM.

I'll post a bunch of pictures, you can request detail shots. I'll list all the mods/upgrades (just a few & all from this forum) a little later, if I can find time between all the riding I'm getting in these days. Even when it's raining :thumbup:
Wish I'd bought the 990 years ago
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Re: I hate to say goodbye..

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Good luck, scimmione. Put some new tyres on her, so you can get a good price.

Then if you can't get a good price, at least you can keep riding her.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Simmione with so many guys riding alternative tires I wonder how not getting a set of GTs can be a reason for selling the bike. If you want the simplest solution get a set of Avons with a 150/80 rear and you`re back on the street. That rear will cost $150-180.

G.
randtcastell

Post by randtcastell »

Good luck on the sale, please let us know the price your asking so we can consider acquiring her.

—Randy.
1987 Ducati P750
1973 Honda CB450
2022 KTM RC390
bobst2
year: 1988

Post by bobst2 »

my gt,s only cost 450$ a set including freight & tax (800??)is that what the cost is for a set in the u.s. ?
delagem
year: 0

Post by delagem »

scimmione wrote: tired of trying to justify $800 for a single set when they finally get here.
Can you elaborate on this? I have an email from Stefy dated 16 July, she quoted $390 a set, plus shipping. I see that price quoted in another recent thread on Goldentyres as well.

Sorry to hear you're thinking of giving up.
The $900 Paso: DellOrto's, Dyna 5 ohm coils, Ignitech TCIP4; finally, a new set of tires! Goldentyre GT070/071

The bike is gone, but the nightmares continue...
scimmione

Post by scimmione »

bobst2 wrote:my gt,s only cost 450$ a set including freight & tax (800??)is that what the cost is for a set in the u.s. ?
No, but shipping from Canada to SF Bay Area is about $350 USD by freight (truck). I don't know what it's going to be from Florida where GoldenTyre US is located: "+ shipping" is vague.

paso750: You're absolutely right: I could run off sized tires and be done with it, but there is more than just that. Although I love the bike, after riding a Paso for 22yrs, I find I'm limited to short trips. (or rather, I'm not willing to take long trips on it). I'm 6'4", the riding position is cramped, and though it's not a handful to ride, it's not a particularly 'fluid' experience either.

My interests have changed. I still enjoy the twisties, but I also enjoy backing into a corner on a dirt road and trail riding. And because I don't have room for 2 bikes in my garage, I'm taking a logical step and covering both bases. The guys I used to race with back in the 80's have all progressed (regressed?) to dual sport and are doing cross country off road and high altitude trips. I want to get back to that.

So, that's it. I'm ready to move on and I hope there will be someone who will enjoy my Paso as much as I have. I can't express my thanks enough to the dedicated Paso enthusiasts in this forum for all their insight, technical expertise and time they have committed to working out all those little ( and huge) headaches.

I will be posting detailed info on the bike and pictures.

Thanks guys

Chris
Wish I'd bought the 990 years ago
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

after 22 years (!) I can understand that

G.