Anyone know the best pressures for our bikes? Cold/hot weather. I'm in Texas
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Re: TIRE PRESSURE

Post by Skins »

:cool:

All the Owners Handbook gives is 34 lbs front and 38 lbs rear. I find you need at least that for decent handling.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: TIRE PRESSURE

Post by ducinthebay »

I run the ST around 40 front, and 42 rear. I run the Sport about 4lbs less, mostly because I'm looking for a bit more compliance and traction, and not so much mileage. Higher pressure, better mileage.

I took a parking lot cornering class and we were instructed to lower our pressure down to 32 for the class, but it was all fairly slow speed stuff. Slowed down the bike on transition, and just kinda made the bike a bit slower, which was all good for the class.

If your riding is all dry pavement, then run the pressures up higher than recommended. Makes the bike feel lighter and change directions easier, that's for sure. I have found no traction issues running slightly higher pressures than posted, and I use all the tire. Modern tires are wonderful.

Can't comment on a 7 year old Michelin though. I think I would run that a little soft.
A softer tire heats up more. (hence shorter life) A warmer tire grips better, but heat cycles are the killer of tires.

So, in short, experiment with the tires that you run, and the type of riding that you do. Get a good tire gauge and carry it with you. Check your tires often, and try different pressures on a familiar road. Oh, and write it down so you remember what you tried.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.