discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: Alternatives to stock coils for Digiplex system

Post by ducinthebay »

This a nice long string just to get back to the beginning and put on some Dyna Coils, or some SS/Monster coils from the 90's.

Good stuff.
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
ahdoman
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by ahdoman »

Another question; I got the new (used) coils today and installed them. Does it matter which side of the coil the red wire goes to? The manual shows red to the + side but the coils have no indicators. Just the numbers 15 & 1 on the tops.
1988 Red Ducati Paso 750
1999 BMW R1100S
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

in standard numbering 15 represents the high side 1 is the low side
in plain language 1 would be the negative side ( low potential )
15 is the positive side ( high potential )
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
streetsurfer

Post by streetsurfer »

Also see that you have near full voltage going to the coils. If there is a significant parasitic loss it may be in your off/run/off or start switch. They can be fairly easily removed, disassembled, and contacts cleaned. While stronger coils helped a missing cylinder condition on my 88, it crept back in as the switch contacts continued to corrode over time. Cleaning them resolved the issue for good by getting full voltage back to the coils.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

The best is you put a relay before the coils which connects directly to the battery and is activated by the ignition switch. Not only will this eliminate the voltage loss permanently but you`ll have less current passing the ignition switch which will extend its life.

G.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

Dont forget to fuse the main relay connection to the battery, could save you a rather embarrasing situation down the road
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
bobst2

Post by bobst2 »

i hope the used coils helped you out. but why go used or do a bunch of mods,to be able to use diffrent coils when new stock coils are avail, from italspares for 40 bucks each.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

This coil primary resistance is something that has always bugged me . When I 1st got my Paso it came with all the usual electrical problems . I was told by the bike shop I got it off not to start it with the lights on, and as ( a very short amount of ) time went by switching the lights on caused backfires and soon it would do it ( backfire ) in time with the blinkers . I later met the previous owner who smugly asked if it was " going OK" ( by which time I had fixed it ) pissed him off no end as he had spent a small fortune trying to fix and that was the reason he sold the bike , he was a wanker so that made it all the better for me . Anyhow whilst " diagnosing" the problem I measured the primary resistance of the coils and noted that they were both 0.4 ohm (less than 1/2 an ohm ) which I thought at the time was lower than I expected, but sinse fixing the electrical issues ( 6 years ago ) this thing has never missed a beat and the coils are still 0.4 ohm ( just measured them again ) . There has obviously been work done to the digiplex module , dunno what . This thing has done some long trips , tank fulls at a time , like plenty of time for whatever to get hot. How come my bike can run 1/2 ohm coils with no ill effect. I am reluctant to think that the coils are crook as they are both the same . Im all for fitting some new , perhaps more powerful coils and will probly do so before it gets put back into regular use ( I need to get myself back into regular use 1st ) MMMMMMMMM ?
beats the crap outa me ( again )
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I`ve asked before if the Dyna coils are really the same impedance as the ones for a Digiplex system. Now for the first time checking the 906 manual after Hamish`s post shows it`s not so. It says in chapter M.15 "Coil A.T. circuit resistance: 3700 ohms +/-10%, coil B.T. circuit resistance: 0,34 ohms +/-10%".

G.