Hi From Melbourne Australia.

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

koko64
model: other
year: 1999

Hi From Melbourne Australia.

Post by koko64 »

I just joined this forum as I am looking to own a 750 Paso. I already have an M900 (and a GSXR750 K4/5 track bike). I previously have owned two other Ducatis, another M900 and a '92 Superlight. There have also been Harleys, VFR 400/NC30s, a YZF 750 and five race bikes (3 x Formula400 VFR400/NC30s to a Supersport ZXR600 and Production Superbike YZF750.

This is a great forum. Real enthusiasts for sure. I am also a member of the DMF and many have warned me off the Paso, but I don't care, I have the sickness and it's too late! :wacko:

I selected the 750 because I need a sportstourer to take my wife pillion and can to have very affordable club registration (which requires the bike to be 25 years old for a 45 day permit). The Monster is for riding solo and Gixxer for track days as I no longer race.

Despite some issues with tyre availability and carburation, I am very impressed with the 750 Paso and what MT was trying to do with it. It really was ahead of it's time. Eccentric rear hub, full fairing ala DB1, twin side radiators/oil coolers, air/oil cooled simplicity, clever air ducting, a large airbox, radial tyres on mag wheels, extensive instumentation, integrated turn signals and good suspension (for the day).

I plan to upgrade the front brakes, rebuild the suspension, fit 38CV carbs from an M900 (or 39FCRs :evil: ) fit new coils, Ignitech ignition and make small modifications for reliability. In Australia there are many Harley and Goldwing riders so I will choose from those tyre options.

In my state we have some of the most regulated and heavily policed roads, and harsh road laws in the world. The 750 will be plenty fast enough for the state of Victoria!

Cheers :beer:
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Hi From Melbourne Australia.

Post by paso750 »

Hi there & welcome.
Do please add your location to your profile.
Regarding tires you may check with Gowanloch when they get another charge
http://ducati-gowanloch.com/catalog/ind ... th=242_328
No mag wheels on the Paso. The Oscam rims are aluminium.

Have fun when you get your Paso :thumbup:

G.
koko64

Post by koko64 »

Thanks for the welcome.
Cheers.
2013 M1100 Evo Street
2004 GSXR750 Track
Duc906
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by Duc906 »

G'day Koko

Welcome to the obsession :beer:
koko64

Post by koko64 »

Hi All

I am running into quite alot of resistance from other Ducatisti regarding my choice of sports tourer (Paso). People are telling me I'm crazy to select the Paso 750 and that the Paso is a piece of sh#*t!
It almost seems like prejudice!

I am quite sure I understand the issues the bike has and I am prepared to do the work on the bike to make it reliable. The 750 motor is reliable enough from what I can tell. Some of the running gear will need work, but ok its a 25 year old bike.

I plan to overhaul the wiring, change the carburetor (CV38 or FCR39), upgrade the brakes (Brembo 4 pot calipersand 996 master cylinder), upgrade the ignition (Ignitech exactfit coils, NGK leads, etc).

Why is there such a bad attitude towards the Paso, particularly the 750 and 906?
2013 M1100 Evo Street
2004 GSXR750 Track
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Guys with that attitude piss me off. Next time you meet someone ask if they ever owned a Paso or if it`s just hearsay. All some guys hear is carb problems and unavailability of tires. That`s enough for building up prejudice. They probably never came near one though and most likely have never ridden one.
A properly maintained 750 or 906 Paso is not less reliable than a ST2 or any other Ducati. Furthermore it remains to be seen how those bikes behave when they are +25 years old.
If there`s anything someone can moan about it`s the handling.

From the first day the Paso was stiring up the hardcore Ducati community just because of its looks and its whole concept. Another reason was, it was not considered a "real" Ducati as the company had just been bought up by Cagiva with the Paso being the first bike of this new "era".

G.
koko64

Post by koko64 »

Thanks.
I thought as much.
Cheers.
2013 M1100 Evo Street
2004 GSXR750 Track
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

A few years ago I heard that the NZ ducati owners club was having their anual rally ( If you can call everyone staying in motels a rally ) at Lake Rotoiti so me Di braved the rain and went to this "rally ". As it was raining everyone was packed like sardines under one of those portable gazebo things so we squeezed under the edge , looking forward to some sintilating conversation with our brethren , some dude made eye contact and moved thru the mass of bodies towards us ..... only to tell us that the gazebo was for club members only , so we exited the gazebo ( we were barely in it ) and made our way to the bar-b-que / sausage cook up and enquired as to the price of said sausage only to be told that ( you guessed it ) they were for club members only . We got our clobber back on ready for departure and as we were getting on the Paso some FAT bitch , perched on a Then new multi strada ( bike was on the center stand , her on the pillion end of the seat , no sign of the piolet ) made some comment about our bike being " some old piece of tat " . For a very brief moment I was ashamed to be on a ducati. As we rode home I realised that I had nothing to be ashamed about , but what a pack of arseholes. Ya know , even tho I nearly got killed in a bike crash 4 years ago and havnt even got close to being back to normal , that day at Lake Rotoiti is the low point of my motorcycling experiances.
Koko64 , I aint so sure that you need to upgrade all that stuff . Get all the standard stuff working as well as possible and give yourself a chance to get used to it, its a bit like having a slightly less than perfectly behaved child , ya still love more than anyone elses kid and wouldnt swap them for the world :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
koko64

Post by koko64 »

Thats a sad story. I cant stand snobs.
Prejudice takes many forms.
Hope you are recovering well.
2013 M1100 Evo Street
2004 GSXR750 Track
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Welcome on board :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
It seems to me you are very well conscious about you can expect from a Paso.
If you like her, as we all, buy and take care her.
Don't mind at all the disapproval of the mob.
For sure the Paso is one of the less loved Ducati because of the reasons G. told (she's not a real Ducati, she has'nt a tubular frame etc.).
But, we are different :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
bmw851
year: 1988

Post by bmw851 »

And by Paso750's comments (Bless His Little Cotton Socks :D ) my 750 sport is by definition not Ducati either it’s a Cagiva with a Ducati badge, well up them for the rent, I say.

Buy it and be done with it, the bike may make you shake your head every now and again, and go why, why, would you design it like that, but that model was truly the rebirth and beginning of the modern era of Ducati as it is today, the purist can say what they want, but the brand would not exist without it. :choo:

Somewhere on this site is a page of pictures that G has posted of other brands that copied the Paso and declared their bike the best thing since sliced bread, have a look it is an eye opener. :shock:

G can't remember which section they are in, would you mind posting a link when you have time?

And welcome to the site :D

Cheers
Peter
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

bmw851
year: 1988

Post by bmw851 »

Many Thanks G. :thumbup:
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

Welcome koko! (greenmonster from DML)
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07