I pulled all of the fairings/bodywork off my Paso...

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Bad Cornflakes
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

I pulled all of the fairings/bodywork off my Paso...

Post by Bad Cornflakes »

I bought my Paso last May with the idea of flipping it, but I have kind of fallen under the Paso spell. Yesterday, I decided to pull off all of the plastic bodywork to check out what is sitting underneath it. (Getting those oil coolers out was kind of like pulling teeth......)

I found that it has had the Dell Orto carb conversion done to it, but other than that it all looks like it's in pretty stock condition. There is one question I have, though:

What is the little black plastic chamber at the back of the motor, mounted right under where the front of the seat and the rear of the fuel tank meet? It has a couple of hoses coming out of it and one goes into the motor and the other looks like it vents toward the rear, left hand side of the bike..?? The hoses on mine are all cracked and leaking. (I assume it's like a PCV valve/system on a car.) Can I get rid of the box and just put a filter on the end of the hose that comes out of the engine??

Thanks,

Jason.

PS. I want to change the oil but the Nearest Ducati dealer is about 35 miles away. What is the best way to get hold of the correct oil filter?? And which oil do you guys recommend?
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: I pulled all of the fairings/bodywork off my Paso...

Post by higgy »

The black tank is a condensation tank and yes works sorta like the pvc system on a car. There are breather filter elements you can replace the system with
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

If you live in a warm place, I suggest a 15 W 40 oil or similar as gear and crank need an high density oil
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
Bad Cornflakes
year: 1987

Post by Bad Cornflakes »

I noticed half of a sticker on the crankcase that said they recommend Castrol GTX?? As in regular car oil??
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Probly the best oil you want to afford is the best . I ran mine on valvoline XLD , but changed it every 3000k's. The local ducati guy here swears that mineral oil is best but I like a semi synthetic , or even fully syn , just depends on how mush you want to spend . A good synthetic could be left for longer which helps ofset the higher price. Filters ... a citroen 2cv filter fits as do others ( there is a parts interchangability thread here somewhere ... in the F A Q's section I think ) Original ducati filters are expensive and any filter that physically fits is ok and if you get it from a auto parts supplier it will be maybe 1/4 the price of the ducati one. Some thought should be given to removing the filter as they arn't the easiest to get at , even the correct SIZED filter tool can be difficult to use as the crankcase surrounds the filter ( assuming the 750 is the same as the 906 ). Types of oil depend a bit on running temp so keep an eye on the oil temp gauge and if it runs at much over 100 degrees celcius you probly want to go to a better quality oil . Interesting ..... try watching the oil temp and see the difference when riding in clear air as opposed to riding close ( safe distance braking wise ) behind another vehicle
If you do go to a auto parts store .... dont let on that your looking for motorcycle parts , most of them will immediatly tell you they dont have m/cycle parts and wont even look . Do check out the above mentioned parts interchangable parts list in the F A Q's you may be surprized how much you can save, although I gotta admit haveing an oil filter hanging off the bottom of your bike with Skoda written on it aint the coolest look . :lol:
Hamish
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time