discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: New owner to a Paso 750

Post by paso750 »

With the swingarm halfrings from STARTWIN and a longer chain you could restore the full range for chain tensioning.
hardo
year: 0

Post by hardo »

thanks G., indeed I forgot this additional option
Meat_Biscuit
year: 1988

Post by Meat_Biscuit »

Hello Gentlemen,

Any tips on what type and weight engine oil I should put into my Paso?

Thanks!
Marshall

American Veteran - I am the 0.45%
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

20/50 synthetic is recommended in the manual, if I remember correctly, but that was written quite a while ago, and I think there have been significant developments in lubrication technology since then. I have 5/50 synthetic in mine at the moment.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

0/40 in both of mine
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

Skins wrote::cool:

20/50 synthetic is recommended in the manual, if I remember correctly, but that was written quite a while ago, and I think there have been significant developments in lubrication technology since then. I have 5/50 synthetic in mine at the moment.
10w50 in the manual
Meat_Biscuit

Post by Meat_Biscuit »

Thanks for the input! Another issue I'm having is finding wheel bearings. Not that I'm having issues finding wheel bearings, but finding them for a good price. I got the part # from the shop manual and parts catalog (found on this forum! You guys are the best :D ) which is 75163.2054 and the gentleman at Florida Powersports (my hometown Ducati experts) have quoted me $45.99 USD for each one. I went directly to the SKF website, and they want the same price. Does anyone know of another manufacturer of these bearings? Thanks again for the input on the engine oil!
Marshall

paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

SKF, FAG, INA, Timken, NSK, NKE etc. There are many.
Front and rear wheel bearing (2x per wheel)
id 20mm od 42mm width 16mm
SKF 63004-2RS1 / C3 or
FAG 63004-2RS or
RIV 30 L 20
I`m sure there`s someone who knows an online shop where they can be found for affordable prices.
Here in Germany you can find them online for €12 while the actual list price is 35. That`s B2B price hence you have to know someone with a business to be able to order. There must be many more sources in the US.

G.
Meat_Biscuit

Post by Meat_Biscuit »

Hey guys,

Got the tank resealed and fired up the engine! It runs good, fired up after just a second. But now, coming from the area about the clutch plates, when I have the Paso in neutral and I let go of the clutch, it sounds like there is a high pitched squealing noise when its idling. Any suggestions on what this might be?

Also, as the pic might say differently, I have my garage all cleaned out and will be putting new seals in the forks here very soon. One little step at a time. But, the main thing, is that she starts and idles pretty :D
Marshall

fredskidoo

Post by fredskidoo »

That would be your "throwout" bearing as I like to call it. It is the piston that the fluid clutch pushes against the clutch plates to disengage - generally the head of this piston or "button" as its been called has been worn to the point where a new bearing and a machined button will need to be installed. This is what you will find when you remove your clutch cover; the worn piston/bearing/button assembly and it's contact point.
Image Image
Here is what I've had made - Including a skateboard wheel bearing pressed into the original piston and the button also pressed into the center race of the bearing. You are looking at 2 units, front and back, respectively before being pressed into the piston.
Image Image Image

It took me quite a lot of effort to no longer call my Paso sqweeky-ass clutch "Flipper" i.e. Dolphin chatter

BTW - cost was machine shop minimum 1 hour (not really actually it was only $20 - w/much love), cost of 2 skateboard bearings ($8) and my existing piston.
'87 750 Paso 751412
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

when I have the Paso in neutral and I let go of the clutch, it sounds like there is a high pitched squealing noise when its idling.
Ethan is right although usually the noise would appear when the clutch is disengaged, hence the piston assembly pressed against the pressure plate but you write the noise is when you let go of the clutch.
In that case you may have another problem. As the bike was stored for such a long time you should remove the throw out piston, clean it and the cylinder in the clutch cover and replace the o-ring.
It may be that the rubber started sticking to the cylinder walls and the piston doesn`t move far enough back to completely lose contact to the pressure plate.