discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Boy do I have a lot of catching up to do

Post by fasterdammit »

I'm ashamed to say I haven't even lurked on this forum for at least a year; last year my Paso was running so poorly I just returned it to pre-winter status and rode my Monster all year instead. So this year I'm turning the tables and putting the Monster up for a while, and hoping to complete some upgrades & repairs on the Paso now in order to spend the season on that. Also planned is a 1500+ mile ride to the IndyGP in August ... which is a major incentive to get the bike fettled again.

Just a quick peek through the threads ... looks like we have a new tire option for the 16s, eh? Interesting. delagem - I know you'll have put them through their paces, what do you think (and how the heck are ya, by the way - been a long time!)

Otherwise, I've just pulled the Weber out of the bike yesterday, with plans to replace it with a pair of Mikunis. I know there are lots of opinions one way or another, but after years with two differently set-up Webers (stock & modified), I'm ready to try something else.

Anyway, what else is new with everybody? :)
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Boy do I have a lot of catching up to do

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Hey, faster! Good to have you back! Sorry to hear the Paso hasn't been running too well. Mine is going great with DelOrtos. Gave it a real good squirt the other day - up to about 7000 rpm in second and third, 30 to 70mph in about 3 seconds, making a lovely noise through my custom silencers.

You look after websites, don't you? I have had one built to share home-made graphics. Nothing to to with motorcycling, but I did put this http://www.madoodle.com/doodle/view/3021/ on a few days ago for one of our members (ducapaso in Italy)
delagem
year: 0

Post by delagem »

Hi Jake, welcome back!

I just got the Goldentyres mounted up a few days ago, did take a couple short rides; not enough seat time to voice an opinion. I did test the rubber with my durometer gauge and was surprised at how soft they were. My initial impression is that people are going to be complaining about longevity. But they should be grippy!

I was hoping your bike was running, as I'd like to try the Goldentyre on a Paso with stock geometry. I despised the "stand-up" nature of the bike with the old Michelins. Hoping these tires cure that tendency.

Michael
The $900 Paso: DellOrto's, Dyna 5 ohm coils, Ignitech TCIP4; finally, a new set of tires! Goldentyre GT070/071

The bike is gone, but the nightmares continue...
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Hey fellas!

Yeah, it was running horribly last year, but I plan to make up for that this year. I'm working on the carb swap right now, and I'll probably need a pair of those Goldens before too much longer as well.

Mike, did you get them right from the manufacturer, or did somebody local-ish get them for you? Also - let's try to hook up a ride again this summer - it's been a long time!

Jake
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
delagem

Post by delagem »

fasterdammit wrote:Hey fellas!

Yeah, it was running horribly last year, but I plan to make up for that this year. I'm working on the carb swap right now, and I'll probably need a pair of those Goldens before too much longer as well.

Mike, did you get them right from the manufacturer, or did somebody local-ish get them for you? Also - let's try to hook up a ride again this summer - it's been a long time!

Jake
I did get them right from the manufacturer, as part of their first order. A little pricey but free shipping; besides, they are doing us a huge service by bringing back this tire size.

I'd like to see how they handle on a standard geometry Paso. Mine was lowered 27mm at the front and by whatever flipping the rear eccentric gives you at the rear. It handles so much better than the stock geometry on my first Paso back in '88, except for the lack of cornering clearance. I'm slowly grinding that away, so the problem shoud solve itself in time...

I still remember the first time I gently applied the brakes going around a corner on that first, stock bike, and how fast the bike stood up and ran into the oncoming lane!

I'm watching your Mikuni conversion posts. I was almost there, so frustrated with my DellOrtos and the few jackwagons that I can buy parts thru; but I was leaning towards a set of Keihin FCR's. But after a few more hours of tinkering, sourcing silly rubber boots and things, it's actually running quite well now. (I have never fully forgiven DellOrto/Malossi for burning my bike to the ground at Mid Ohio in 2001...)

The old 1992 900ss is torn down into tiny little bits! It had the "crankshaft plug backing out" problem. It had been doing that since 1993 or so! So the frame went off to powdercoat, and I split the cases last week. It all goes back together this coming weekend!

I'm going to miss most of this summer, back on the ship. But I should be home for August thru October. I'll be in touch!

Michael
The $900 Paso: DellOrto's, Dyna 5 ohm coils, Ignitech TCIP4; finally, a new set of tires! Goldentyre GT070/071

fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Aw, man, are you sea at sea now, or setting off soon? There's still plenty of riding time come September, though.

Agreed about the new supplier for tires; I was worried that I'd be doing a lot more than a carb swap if there were no more Michelins to be found. I recall what you went through to get the front end lowered on yours. Too bad you can't easily swap rearsets, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's not all you were dragging. ;)

re: the Mikunis, yeah, we'll see how it goes. I'll try to keep up w/ pictures and info as I go. Hope that's all it's going to take to get her running nicely (with some tinkering, certainly). I had taken the Monster down to get it cleaned up and repainted for this season ... but it never got there. I put the battery on the trickle this morning, and will put her back together over the next couple days so we should be making miles again shortly. Maybe next winter I'll send the pieces off to be fixed/painted!

Definitely keep in touch; I'll try not to be such a slack on email. ;) I'm still at the same address @ the hospital ...

Jake
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Hey lads, is this a reunion of old Pooh-Bahs?
I must admit I have been very rare around here in recent years. I have had the Grand Old Lady off the road due to rebuild, them lack of time, 4wding as well as restoring an old BMW R100, oh & anV65 Guzzi. Things have been busy haven't they. Just about to put my Paso back on the road & getting excited about it. So good to know you guys are still here & on the Paso. I did the Avon conversion just before golden tire released the new 16's. I must say I am happy with them after all the effort.
Great to be back on here & see you guys crawling back as well.
Skins glad you are all good after all that shaking of your islands.

Happy days lads, happy days.
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
delagem

Post by delagem »

redpaso wrote:Hey lads, is this a reunion of old Pooh-Bahs?
Why, yes, yes it is!

Jake, I'm home now, for another month. Let me know if you want to go for a ride, or if you need a hand with the Paso.

I did a little blasting around on the Paso yesterday, new tires definitely seem more lively than the ancient Michelins I had. Almost too twitchy, but my geometry was set up more aggressive than stock. Great grip, never slid a wheel, and I was trying to!

Dragging the right side fairing around town! But my bike doesn't have the stock 750 bodywork on it, it's a little wider than normal. I would expect on a stock bike that the footpeg and exhaust collector would usually be the first to drag. That's how the 900ss was...

fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

delagem wrote:
redpaso wrote:Hey lads, is this a reunion of old Pooh-Bahs?
Why, yes, yes it is!
Good deal! Nice to see your name resurface too! Glad to hear the bike's coming back. I figured, mine turns 25 this year ... I should spend the most time on it this year. (Maybe I'll even get a new speedo cable!) What have you got to do w/ your Paso, red?

Mike - I'll keep you posted on the Paso. With any luck, she'll be sorted relatively soon. Hopefully before the month's out.

I'll probably be in the market for a pair of those Goldens in the near future myself; and if you couldn't slide them then I figure I'm pretty safe. ;)
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Greetings, Red!
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

delegam the imposter hahahahaha
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
delagem

Post by delagem »

higgy wrote:delegam the imposter hahahahaha
'evening, Higgy! I don't get the joke?

Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

He might be referring to the fact that you are not a Grand Poo Bah, delagem - not that that should bother anyone else in this little 'reunion', I'm sure.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

higgy the instigator :mrgreen:
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

does not bother me either, as G says
higgy the instigator............
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie