Starting

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

LionelBurns

Starting

Post by LionelBurns »

My 750 limited has a strang starting problem. the engine won't turn over unless the kill switch is in the off position once it starts to turn over U flick the kill switch to on while itis turning over it will continue to turn over as long as the starter is still prest until start. if it doesn't keep running due to being cold. I have to go thru it all again. :confused:
This isn't a big problem as I can live with it my main question is that is this normal?
Thanks Lionel
mike
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Re: Starting

Post by mike »

LionelBurns wrote:My 750 limited has a strang starting problem. the engine won't turn over unless the kill switch is in the off position once it starts to turn over U flick the kill switch to on while itis turning over it will continue to turn over as long as the starter is still prest until start. if it doesn't keep running due to being cold. I have to go thru it all again. :confused:
This isn't a big problem as I can live with it my main question is that is this normal?
Thanks Lionel
Mine does the same thing, and this is a relatively common problem. There's a lot of juice ryunning through that switch, and the contacts have corroded. Mine's been this way for 3 years, and I've never bothered to fix it. I just know that's how it works and live with it.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

This is a faily easy problem to correct if you can do some wiring. I have performed this update/repair and never have any trouble starting. It also helps with the low speed running as it improves the voltage to the whole electrical system.

email me at jcslocum@hotmail.com and I can send it late this week.
geomac

Paso starting problems

Post by geomac »

jcslocum wrote:This is a faily easy problem to correct if you can do some wiring. I have performed this update/repair and never have any trouble starting. It also helps with the low speed running as it improves the voltage to the whole electrical system.

email me at jcslocum@hotmail.com and I can send it late this week.
You mentioned that you had a rewire fix for this starting problem (holding the kill switch off while starting, then switching the kill switch to on). Could you email me the description of what you rewired. My Paso started doing this. It's not a big problem but I would like to correct it. And rather than reinvent the wheel here, I thought, go to a source that's done it.

Thanks for your help.

George
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Send me an email and I can forward the info to you.
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

jon send the info to me and we'll make an article out of it for the site.
SupersevenTwincam

Post by SupersevenTwincam »

Wouldn't it just be more easy to correct the problem by taking off the killswitch and treating it with contact cleaner? Should be a much easier solution...

You'll have to use a pretty good contact cleaner, though. Some cleaners contain tacky stuff that accumulate dirt.

Jilles.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

The kill switch is NOT the problem. The crappy wiring is.
reginapete

wiring mods

Post by reginapete »

:thumbup: I too have recently completed the mods. provided by Jon. The instructions provided were explicit and the mods easily performed. A different bike! I also fitted a fuel pressure regulator in-line with the standard weber carb - smooth tick over and no embarassing cut-outs! Well worth the effort. The total cost was less than £40.
daza

Post by daza »

my bike has been this way for ages too...help..........
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

The fix is in your email box.

Good Luck!
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

hey daza, i installed jon's fix on my bike successfully, even though i have the mind of a 2-year-old when it comes to electrics (the trouble is you can't see the stuff - how am i supposed to understand something i can't see?). anyway, it worked very well. you're welcome to come and look at how i did it on my bike if you like.