750 Paso ergos compared to Ducati Monster, 749 and 900ss/cr?

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

standswithabeer
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

750 Paso ergos compared to Ducati Monster, 749 and 900ss/cr?

Post by standswithabeer »

hello all,
am intrigued with the Paso, and wondering if those with experience on the above bikes can offer a comparison of their ergos to a Paso.

cycle-ergo.com provides seat height, forward lean, and knee angle for a huge number of bikes but not the paso. for me, the forward lean (weight on the wrists) is key. am 5-5 / 29inch inseam so for my ducati monster forward lean is listed as 30 degrees, my 96 900ss/cr at 37 degrees, my 749 at 47 degrees. a direct correlation to actual ergos/comfort comfort for sure, as the monster was comfortable, the 900ss/cr was fine at speeds above 60, and i had to sell the 749. good for about 20 minutes.

thanks in advance, a great site! :thumbup:
bob p
1972 Honda CL350, 1992 Ducati Paso 907 ie
Brutus
model: 750 Paso
year: 1989

Re: 750 Paso ergos compared to Ducati Monster, 749 and 900ss

Post by Brutus »

Hi, Bob. The paso is really something else.. Cannot compare an 80's setup with 16" oscams, weber carb and the older brembo's with the ducs with 17", goldline brembo's, injection etc.. Riding position is allright on the paso. Can drive it for two hours without getting tired. Myself approx 100kg, 1.90m. ;) The longer distances I'll normally ride on four wheels..
year: 1987

Post by randtcastell »

hey bob p:

I'm 69" 150 lbs. soles to crown and suits fit me off the rack.

From my experience, the Paso is one of the only bikes I've ridden long term that put little force on my wrists, unless I want to: you can ride her quite upright like a gentleman's sport tourer all day or you can fold into her and ride quite aggressively with breaks every 20-30 min. Depends on your requirements.

I think the Paso is as designed: a versatile, erotic, effective, multi-purpose tool that compels you

Get a Paso :D :)
1987 Ducati P750
1973 Honda CB450
2022 KTM RC390
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Im 50 , 5'10' and ( ahem ) 104 kgs , and I gotta say Im surprized just how long , for a seat that offers very little wriggling about space, I can sit in it . By the time I have emptied a tank ( 350 km's ) a quick walk round the bike while its filling is all I need to unwind.
Only 2 things annoy me about long distance on the Paso
1) the fuel gauge is a liar ( spent the last 100 odd k's coming down the west coast of south Island absoloutely shitting myself I wasn't even going to get near Haast garage ....only to still have 4-5 litres in the tank :evil: ( now there's a ride for ya nickta :) )
2) There is a bit of a delay in the brakes in the wet .... real arse puckering stuff. The delay is just long enough for me to grab another hand full of brembo's when both hand fulls hit as your arriving to fast, late into a corner in the pissing down rain...... I got used to it :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

2) There is a bit of a delay in the brakes in the wet .... real arse puckering stuff. The delay is just long enough for me to grab another hand full of brembo's when both hand fulls hit as your arriving to fast, late into a corner in the pissing down rain...... I got used to it :)

Braided stainless resolved that issue for me Hamish
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
standswithabeer

Post by standswithabeer »

thanks very much! the one i was interested in was sold. but if i was in alabama i'd have one tonight! (see for sale section here - deal!)
1972 Honda CL350, 1992 Ducati Paso 907 ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

higgy wrote:

Braided stainless resolved that issue for me Hamish
Yeah ? ... I always put it down to wet disc's/ pads as the lever pressure is there (as normal ) just no brakes to speak of for maybe a second . Anyhow I guess I will find out as I have to get new brake hoses as the ones I have are the originals . I will probly wind up getting a set of those Hell braided lines off e-bay. AND with that cupboard full of old new Michelins ( bite me :P ) any incentive to slow down a bit in the wet probly aint a bad thing. Way things are going here ( leg wise..... we're back to choppin' it off ) I got my doubts I will ever ride that Paso again :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
dewjantim
year: 1988

Post by dewjantim »

The SS 900ie is not very comfortable , the 900SS carbed model is not as bad as the ie, but still not great. The Monster is comfortable at moderate speeds and around town..... feels a lot like a big dirt bike. It is great on country backroads. For me, 5'7" 145 lbs, the Paso is perfect. Even with the suspension set on soft it corners like it is on rails. I love the quick transitions in curves due to the 16" tires and wheels. Long days in the saddle are no problem..... the riding position stretches my back like a visit to my favorite chiropractor so I always arrive feeling refreshed. I highly recommend a Corbin saddle and 1/2 inch risers (if you can find them) for the handlebars. I own several Ducs and the Paso is my favorite one to ride.......
He who dies with the most toys...... is still dead.....
geomac

Post by geomac »

I have had a 98 Monster 900. More leg room than the Paso. My Paso has small bar risers and a 20 plus year old Corbin seat. Seating position is very relaxed with a slight bend forward but all day comfortable. What I notice most when changing from my other bikes back to the Paso is the relatively high foot pegs. My legs bend more. At age 65 I don't think I would ride 500 mile days with my legs bent like that. But a casual day ride would work fine. You see the bar risers turn up from time to time on eBay. If you know a machinist they could make them easily, as they are very simple. Oh yes, the specs, I am 5 feet 11 inches tall at a out 180 pounds.
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducapaso »

ST2 has a quite confortable riding position but it's taller and longer, so it's even not so easy to face urban traffic or hard bends in mountain roads... Compared to Paso, same results from a very different bike.
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
viper1

Post by viper1 »

I have each bike and they are all considerably different. The 749 is "racy" forward lean style, fits a small person perfect and asks for aggression....did I forgot to say smooth.....the M900 (2001), I had slightly higher bars on it and loved it...kinda of reminded me of my Hyper...more motorcross style....but not alot of weight on the wrists....a total blast to wheelie on.......the 900ss (96) you sit in not on, less lean and the belly can rest on the tank taking the weight off the wrists......still feels slightly agressive (going around cornors) but laid back....I like it alot.....the Paso, up right, not to leaned over, easy on the back....kind of feel like the old guys bike....but still fun...Kind of like "falling with style" if you ever watched Toy Story.......I can go on about the 851, 888, 996 or the 1098.......which all are polar opposits. I love them all...each one is different in its own way.....
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

standswithabeer wrote:hello all,
am intrigued with the Paso, and wondering if those with experience on the above bikes can offer a comparison of their ergos to a Paso.

Super comfortable without being totally laid back and cheesy. 5'8" / 150

Around town it can be a bit of a pain, in the same way that a classic car can be as well,
but that's mostly due to modern traffic.
900streetfighter

Post by 900streetfighter »

I have a 907, 999 and SSie but all 3 are modified. I've owned all 3 for 7 years or more.
The 907 has Corbin seat and lower, flatter, further forward bars.
The 999 has higher bars.
The SSie is streetfightered with drag bars, corbin seat and I've just fitted rearsets.

So any comparison to standard bikes is a little tainted but I find the 999 most comfortable for long distance mainly due to the wide flat seat and leg room with the footrests in the forward lower position plus the fact it goes like stink and gets me there quicker.
I find the 907 a bit cramped at the knees, I'm 6'1" tall, 31" inside leg and getting on a bit(60).
The SSie is uncomfortable full stop, even with higher bars but good fun to ride and easy to throw around. Its vibey and runs rougher than my 907 around town, so much for progress! The SSie series has a steeper steering than the carb SS giving quicker steering which I prefer. The cantilever rear arm and stiff forks with metal footrests make it a bit of a boneshaker on rough roads.
Of my 3 bikes the 907 is the easiest to ride in town.
stylianos62
year: 1989

Post by stylianos62 »

For my 52 years old body 1,70 mtr and 90 kg , Paso seat was perfect since I was young. Only unacceptable the wrong design shape of wind screen , over 120 km/h air force on helmet is terrible. This is proven due to next models different shape double wind screen was used.
Stelios

paso 750
pantah 600 SL
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

stylianos62 wrote:For my 52 years old body 1,70 mtr and 90 kg , Paso seat was perfect since I was young. Only unacceptable the wrong design shape of wind screen , over 120 km/h air force on helmet is terrible. This is proven due to next models different shape double wind screen was used.
But it doesnt look very good.
You can always attach an extension.

Or if you want I can sell you my spare
which has a longer clear screen installed by the prev. owner - I think about 99% of germans installed this
since in germany functionality is more important than looks :lol: