Puncture

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Brutus
model: 750 Paso
year: 1989

Re: Puncture

Post by Brutus »

I'm with McTool. Have seen young people die in a car crash as they have been hit by a drunken driver. One second you're there.. the next second you're gone..
year: 1987

Post by plasmid »

Mc tool wrote:
No shit!? are you for real ? Im not a great supporter of the "Nanny state " that makes common sense a law, but I do know that you can't legislate against stupidity .... and you are a great example to that :!: Dude , when you do go down ( at 60 - 70km/hr ) with no helmit , a T shirt , flip flops and shorts ..... bet you change your mind on the way to hospital.
I have taken the odd putt to the local shop in shorts and T shirt , but helmit gloves and deceint shoes are a must. Surely " maximising the former" would include being able to do it again another day :)

MT - I wasn't expecting this from you. ;)

I don't ride in flip-flops all the time, but if I cruise for 10km around a field, I'm fine with that, if that's what I got on at the time.
Ditto for the helmet - obviously if I'm going where others are out and about, I'm wearing one, because I have to.

If I am stupid I must be pretty good at it and/or God has a plan, considering I haven't gone down nor been smacked by an idiot, excepting the event at 15. And IL is full of stupid people just like me.

You can die any day any which way.
When your time comes it comes.
In a full suit or otherwise.

My cars also don't have airbags, abs, 'smart' sensors, and I don't use the seat belt unless I see an uniform.
All considered normal 50+ years ago, but a huge safety hazard nowadays.

Somehow, I bet that if we had this discussion 20 years ago, a majority would be doing the same.
Now that we're pushing 40 we're starting to fall over to the other side. That's fine,
but if people even 50 years ago demanded this level of 'safety' we wouldn't be here.

After I run over some wild animal in the Paso, and assuming there's anything left - I'll forego the motos.
In the interim - sun, wind, and bugs.

Knock on wood.

Now that we had this discussion I have to stay away from motorized 2 wheelers for a week. :beer:
Brutus
year: 1989

Post by Brutus »

plasmid wrote:..
MT - I wasn't expecting this from you. ;)

I don't ride in flip-flops all the time, but if I cruise for 10km around a field, I'm fine with that, if that's what I got on at the time.
Ditto for the helmet - obviously if I'm going where others are out and about, I'm wearing one, because I have to.

If I am stupid I must be pretty good at it and/or God has a plan, considering I haven't gone down nor been smacked by an idiot, excepting the event at 15. And IL is full of stupid people just like me.

You can die any day any which way.
When your time comes it comes.
In a full suit or otherwise.

My cars also don't have airbags, abs, 'smart' sensors, and I don't use the seat belt unless I see an uniform.
All considered normal 50+ years ago, but a huge safety hazard nowadays.

Somehow, I bet that if we had this discussion 20 years ago, a majority would be doing the same.
Now that we're pushing 40 we're starting to fall over to the other side. That's fine,
but if people even 50 years ago demanded this level of 'safety' we wouldn't be here.

After I run over some wild animal in the Paso, and assuming there's anything left - I'll forego the motos.
In the interim - sun, wind, and bugs.

Knock on wood.

Now that we had this discussion I have to stay away from motorized 2 wheelers for a week. :beer:
50 years ago the traffic wasn't as busy as nowadays. Also if you look at the statistics, those safety rules narrowed the amount of casualties down. Don't know which area you live. Maybe you can drive for 100km's and only encounter one camel.. :mrgreen: I live in the Netherlands, approx 17 million people living on an area as small as a poststamp..

This is an everyday ritual:

Post by plasmid »

Brutus wrote: This is an everyday ritual:

Well, yeah, if you ride in that then you should wear a body bag ;)

I ride for pleasure, so I'm not going there.

BTW - those riders would have their licenses taken away pronto in the US
for riding between cars, which I think it's rather dumb in a lot of cases,
much more suicidal than not wearing leather.

> camel

I guess in NL you have to worry about a pony jumping out of someone's backyard.
The suburbs look like Chicago suburbs but there's ponies and goats
and other animals running around in backyards. V. weird first time you see it.
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

Oh yeah, one thing that I find perplexing - in Europe you'll see lots of riders with a helmet, visor open,
riding at a pretty good speed.

That's something I don't get.

Whether I wear a helmet or not I always wear some clear lens glasses.

Getting all sorts of debris, bugs, etc in your eyes IS dangerous
and it will happen whether you go down or not, and it may in fact
cause a spill.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Its a hard one for sure ..... I hoon round the farm on my quad with minimal gear on ( and I mean minimal ..... I have been caught at the mail box in my undies :shock: :D ). In the wind sure is cool, and on the other hand I got taken out by a car in full kit and ..... well... when every doctor I have seen since comments on my " impressive list of injuries "....um ... I didn't get a head injury ( unless you count broken teeth and biting thru my tongue and I didn't break an arm but I did manage to smash , rupture or lacerate at least one of everything else, so I guess there aint no gauantee's
I aint no safety wanker but I have dropped a bike (VFR ) at speed on gravel ( pissed ) in shorts , T shirt and sneakers , and survived a near death smash and they hurt lots ( and not just me , the one's that love me too ... sorry Ma , Di ) an Im sick of bleedin and hospitals ( 21 opps in the last 4 years ), what do you do ? , me , Ill continue to tour the farm in my undies , weather permitting and dress like the Michelin man for the road
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Post by bmw851 »

I've deleted my comments as this thread was about a puncture repair kit, not a forum on personal freedoms.

Apologies to the administrators
Last edited by bmw851 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

Mc tool wrote:Its a hard one for sure ..... I hoon round the farm on my quad with minimal gear on ( and I mean minimal ..... I have been caught at the mail box in my undies :shock: :D ). In the wind sure is cool, and on the other hand I got taken out by a car in full kit and ..... well... when every doctor I have seen since comments on my " impressive list of injuries "....um ... I didn't get a head injury ( unless you count broken teeth and biting thru my tongue and I didn't break an arm but I did manage to smash , rupture or lacerate at least one of everything else, so I guess there aint no gauantee's
I aint no safety wanker but I have dropped a bike (VFR ) at speed on gravel ( pissed ) in shorts , T shirt and sneakers , and survived a near death smash and they hurt lots ( and not just me , the one's that love me too ... sorry Ma , Di ) an Im sick of bleedin and hospitals ( 21 opps in the last 4 years ), what do you do ? , me , Ill continue to tour the farm in my undies , weather permitting and dress like the Michelin man for the road

Look, modern man will need an infinite amount of gear to feel safe.
The less faith in yourself and the above the better for the 'economy'.

Just look at some the utube videos of bike and car real world acrobatics from the 'developing world'.
Crazy? Maybe, but in puts 'safety' in perspective.

If you ride leisurely in relaxed circumstances (ie. not in that .nl type of congestion)
everything will be alright without the layers of gear.

Riding in your undies - that's a touch perverse for me
but you can post a photo and scare us and compromise yourself forever ;)

Seriously, my sympathy, if I was in the hospital as much as you,
I'd be riding a bicycle on a mud road.

The worst I got from the Paso is a burn from the exhaust.
Popped lots of wheelies when I was 20 and my girlfriend more understanding/or move in love than my wife ;)
spun my Ferrari on the track (nary a scratch), drove into a deep and narrow ditch at 170km/h and came out the other side within a couple of inches of a pole (a couple of bruises). Since I'm hoping to do some rallying maybe I'll hug some trees the wrong way soon, we'll see.
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

bmw851 wrote:You just can't win either way
Very touching story. Sorry to hear.

I've seen moto accidents with guts on the road, car accidents with dead bodies trapped inside.
Grandpa came from the war with nazi grenade wounds. Grandma had the life sucked out
of her by pancreatic cancer until she became a ghost -- this was more gruesome than
all the others because of the time scale.

I think, until you experience it personally we block it out to some extent, otherwise life would be impossible.
If we had to consciously tend to the myriad little wars happening in our bodies daily, we would
be emotional wrecks.

I think I would rather die than be disabled, but it's not my choice per se, so
whatever comes is good.
fredskidoo

Post by fredskidoo »

plasmid wrote: Image

Well, yeah, if you ride in that then you should wear a body bag ;)

I ride for pleasure, so I'm not going there.

BTW - those riders would have their licenses taken away pronto in the US
for riding between cars, which I think it's rather dumb in a lot of cases,
much more suicidal than not wearing leather.
[/quote]

Ah. . . where have you ridden in America?
You see there is a thing here we call "lane splitting" - and it's legal.
'87 750 Paso 751412
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

bmw851 wrote:I've deleted my comments as this thread was about a puncture repair kit, not a forum on personal freedoms.

Shhhhh ,OK , I'll pretend you didn't say anything too , perhaps you should send the administrators an apple
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Post by bmw851 »

Mc tool wrote:
bmw851 wrote:I've deleted my comments as this thread was about a puncture repair kit, not a forum on personal freedoms.

Shhhhh ,OK , I'll pretend you didn't say anything too , perhaps you should send the administrators an apple
PM Sent
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
nnnnnnorman
year: 1991

Post by nnnnnnorman »

each to their own. fu :cool: ck the rules if they don't suit you. :lol:
1990 906 paso red and white
1991 906 paso black and gold
1997 ST2 red
2004 ccm r30 with 710 conversion
175 moto morini road race replica
a box of bits r100 bmw scrambler project
1962 rover 95 p4
1997 iveco daily
a non running xt600...stator needed
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

actually I think all the posting in this thread was appropriate
Anyone patching a 10 year old motorcycle tire needs a lesson in safety for sure :banghead: :choo: :wacko: :beer: :beer:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

fredskidoo wrote:
Ah. . . where have you ridden in America?
You see there is a thing here we call "lane splitting" - and it's legal.

IL and got a ticket because of it.

Where is it legal?

Anyway, I think it's pretty suicidal especially what's going in Europe,
I wouldn't call it lane splitting. These guys are riding between cars literally.