discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Next road bump on the Mikuni swap

Post by fasterdammit »

With much thanks Gerhard just to get this far, I've hit my next hang-up & question, the two of which may or may not be related.

First:
I've eliminated the Paso's stock electric fuel pump in favor of a Mikuni vacuum unit. However ... I'm not sure what to do with the remaining leads that are left dangling. More on that in a minute.

Second:
I've got no spark. I don't know if it's related to the lack of the fuel pump or what.

Now, I screwed up by taking stuff apart, not writing down what I did, and then leaving it for a couple months. So, naturally, I've forgotten what's what exactly ... but my conundrum is this: with the stock fuel pump deleted, I have a male and a female spade connector just sitting there, connected to nothing. They can't/shouldn't be connected together unless you like to blow fuses.

So, I wonder if in deleting the stock pump, I have an open ground (or something) that is killing off my spark.

Here's what's what:
  • Fuel pump
    • Black wire: ground, which I believe terminates in a hoop connector behind that is pinned to the frame under the brackets that hold the coils
    • Blk/wht wire: ???
  • Remaining connectors:
    • Black wire w/ male spade connector, comes out from under the steering head/tank knob
    • Grn/blk wire w/ female spade connector, comes out of multi-prong plug mounted to frame (left side) just above the stock fuel pump bracket
That said, the pump works when I've connected [pump]blk/wht -> [bike]grn/blk and [pump]blk -> [bike]blk. According to the crummy wiring diagram I have, this is correct, from what I can see.

Questions:
  1. What is connected to the hoop connector pinched between the coil brackets and the frame?
  2. Could the pump-delete be related to my lack of spark? I doubt it, but had to ask. I even hooked the pump back up (with nothing attached to it - just to close the gaps in the wiring) to see if that would help. And it doesn't. So I'm pretty sure the pump-delete is not related to my spark issue.
  3. What do I do with the left-over connectors from the pump-delete? Anything? (Mikuni swappers, I'm looking at you!)
  4. Since the pump-delete is most likely not related to my missing spark ... now what? Everything else looks good. The bike ran (poorly, but not from lack of spark) last time I rode it. Or perhaps ... it was the beginning of the end? So, how do I tell?
As always, thanks in advance. So close ...
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Re: Next road bump on the Mikuni swap

Post by paso750 »

Green-black/white-black is the 12V for the fuel pump. You can isolate the unused connector.
As you say the pump has nothing to do with the spark.
Is the kill switch in RUN position and do you have 12V at the coils (orange wire) ?

G.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

paso750 wrote:Is the kill switch in RUN position and do you have 12V at the coils (orange wire) ?
Well, now that's the funny thing: if the kill switch is in "run", it doesn't do anything. No solenoid click, no starter, nothing. But with the switch to 'off', it starts. So maybe this is the whole issue, right there. (Sonuva!)

Gerhard - you can tell me, I promise I won't tell anyone else, but do you have a red cape that you change into inside phonebooths, and does it have a big yellow G on it? (Or a big white P(as0)?) ;)

Going to fiddle right now ...
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

I'm a complete moron.

That was it. G, I could kiss you.

Been over a year, but the Paso runs again! With two hearts pumping away!!

PSYCHED!
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750