discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

plasmid
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: 16 inch Shinko Tyres for Paso

Post by plasmid »

paisano wrote:???

I've recieved lots of tires over the years, and none of them were ever boxed. I can't even think of a reason why they would be.

BTW, I've got a thousand or so miles on my Golden Tyres so far, and have been quite pleased with them.

For Europe, Reifendirekt ships them shrinkwrapped.
I guess their various other EU sites also do.
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

plasmid wrote:Chaparral ships their tires without any packaging whatsoever.
Mine were also thrown by FEDEX across the front stairs - found them under the snow.
Chaparral agreed to pay for the return shipping.

Pity they can't throw a few cents of packaging around the tires. It would be a smarter investment.

Bikebandit promised they ship theirs wrapped.

Bikebandit has much better service, will match anyone's price, and ships tires in boxes.
stylianos62
year: 1989

Post by stylianos62 »

..... Zeus bless Shinko ..... after all these tragic years. Finally rear tire on original dimension , excellent .

Stelios

paso 750
pantah 600 SL
whitepaso
year: 1988

Post by whitepaso »

Hi Everyone,

This is an update on my Shinko tires. Well it took me until two months ago to have mine mounted (I bought them a year ago) and have found them to be a nice tire. Makes a world of difference to have new tires on again after so long. The ride is smooth and handling is much better - more neutral - than I remember the Michelins to be.

BUT....and this is a big BUT, within 100 miles of use, a radial belt in the front tire snapped when I hit a small pothole at low speed while turning on a curve in the road. I'm talking about 25-35 m.p.h. slow. This became immediately noticeable because the balance felt instantly bad, liked a wheel weight was knocked loose and fell off, but none had. I took the tire back to my local shop who mounted the tires for me and their diagnosis was broken belting inside the tire. When rotated on a truing stand, you can see the bulge in the tire where the belt snapped. Their remark was "yep, that's Stinko, uh Shinko tire for ya!" Needless to say, they ordered me a new tire and will mount it for me when it arrives.

I wanted to put this information out for all to see and I am curious what other Shinko users have experienced with theirs.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

Its the luck of the draw as to how you hit the pot hole. I've had the same issue with a Michelin. I've had it on car tires more than bike tires.
I've also had a dented rim that gave me the same feeling, but only when leaned over on one side. Couldn't see the flat spot on the rim (till I looked real closely) but I could feel it on left had sweepers. (check your rim when you have the tire off of it. Mark the rim before you take the tire off)

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
wcmiller2002

Post by wcmiller2002 »

Hey,

This may be a issue with pinch shock which is much more common with low profile tires. Was the bulge on the sidewall or in the summit (top)? 35/40 profile car tires have a very similar issue where potholes are common.

I am halfway through my second set of shinko's. While there may be better tires available in other sizes for our size it is the "only game in town." BTW I did get about 6k miles on my first set, with the rear finishing about 2000 miles before the front. (6k on rear, 8k on front)

No track days.

Thanks,

Chris
whitepaso

Post by whitepaso »

Hi Chris,

The bulge was in the summit/top/crown of the tire. That's all I know at this time.

Tom
whitepaso

Post by whitepaso »

So my local shop mounted a new front, which used half the balance weights as the first one. Is that out of the ordinary?? They are holding the damaged one in their shop for the Shinko rep to take, if and when he ever shows up!