Taking care of a mature but still very charming lady

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

sergiomala
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Taking care of a mature but still very charming lady

Post by sergiomala »

Shes at home at last, and she is complete with mirrors. Her sister kept feeling alone, so they will make company each other.

As "paso750" said, she come with racing cans.

but not only, since i found in the box a flywheel and fuel jets, i guess she has a lightened flywheel and proper fuel jets, compliant to these mods, or may be something else that i don't know for now.

Under the seat a small treasure:

Ducati has a heart. Japaneses have a chip.
900streetfighter
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Taking care of a mature but still very charming lady

Post by 900streetfighter »

They look great together, Is that SP2?
sergiomala

Post by sergiomala »

900streetfighter wrote:They look great together, Is that SP2?
Nope, it's a '91 SP3. :thumbup:
sergiomala

Post by sergiomala »

Tried to start the engine today. Dried the tank from old gasoline, put new one inside, turned the key and........ nothing!!!
Battery is gone. So i bought a new one, put liquids inside and charged it, then.................

http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/Sergi ... 1.mp4.html

The old battery

The new one:

The battery settle:
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

Fantastic :thumbup: .

Cheers
Andrew
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by 907pasonut »

congratulations Sergio, you have a couple of good looking bikes :thumbup:

I wouldn't waste my money on a lead acid battery though...there are much better batteries on the market now :beer:
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
sergiomala

Post by sergiomala »

907pasonut wrote:congratulations Sergio, you have a couple of good looking bikes :thumbup:

I wouldn't waste my money on a lead acid battery though...there are much better batteries on the market now :beer:
I didn't even think about that :oops:
I just went to the shop and asked fo a battery like the old one, and so they gave me.
I found it cheap, and very very similiar to the original one, so perfect in order to keep the bike as it have born. Anyway, when it's possible, why not improve? :wink:
sergiomala

Post by sergiomala »

Today first ride.
Early in the morning (in Italy early means 9:00 o'clock) i went to the insurance company to get the girl insured, and then back to garage to take her out. I had to go for tecnical inspection. Here il lasts two years, and now she is ok untill october 2015.
First impressions:
1) This bike is like a truck to drive, compared to the other Ducatis i own.
2) The throttle action is not clean, and sometimes idle runs too high, while stopping at red lights.
3) Brakes are not so good. I think a new set of pads will fix any ploblem.

I think the bike needs just to be driven, to get used to 16" rims and so wide tires, and for the regular running of the engine, i think the carburetor needs a very deep and accurate cleaning.
After the tecnical control i went for a short trip around the town, and noticed the clutch lever become soo fu***g hard i hardly could start and stop. What may it be?? Now she is resting in garage, and as soon as possible i want to take the clutch cover off and check what's going on with it.
sergiomala

Post by sergiomala »

I found why the clutch was so hard: the shafto of the pushing plate was almost seized. It was dry and rusty. Now, after some cleaning and some (not too much) disulfide lithium grease, it work pretty great. I tested it in the afternoon, and also the carburation improved after some air screw adjustement.

This makes me think about a winter rebuilding................ :roll:

Here the new bearing for the clutch piston.

Brutus
year: 1989

Post by Brutus »

Great bikes :thumbup: How's the suspension setup? I've installed an öhlins at the rear (setup hard). At the front I turned it to position 1. Also an 180/60/16 bridgestone at the rear and the handling is as good as my 851. Ok it's a Strada, not a SP3 ;)

Here's a topic about the öhlins I've overhauled:
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... ns&start=0

Post by sergiomala »

Brutus wrote:Great bikes :thumbup: How's the suspension setup? I've installed an öhlins at the rear (setup hard). At the front I turned it to position 1. Also an 180/60/16 bridgestone at the rear and the handling is as good as my 851. Ok it's a Strada, not a SP3 ;)

Here's a topic about the öhlins I've overhauled:
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... ns&start=0
Ohlins is for sure the right choica. No doubt about it. About tire sizes, here it is illegal to change from the homologation ones, so not many choices.

Yesterday i went for one more trip, and riding it i think i will get used to these tires and quotes, somehow.

What is catching my attention now is the carburator. I would like to improve it.
Has anyone the default settngs of the Weber one?

Thanks in advance.
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

sergiomala wrote:Today first ride.
Early in the morning (in Italy early means 9:00 o'clock) i went to the insurance company to get the girl insured, and then back to garage to take her out. I had to go for tecnical inspection. Here il lasts two years, and now she is ok untill october 2015.
In the US early means you pick up the phone and insure the bike and 10 min later you're terrorizing the neighborhood
because you don't need no freaking inspection, at least in IL.

And no helmet either so you can actually hear the bike without some muppet safety interference.

>First impressions:
>1) This bike is like a truck to drive, compared to the other Ducatis i own.

I'd check the tire pressure. It shouldn't be that bad and the tire pressure makes a huge diff.

That said, my Paso is in Germany and thus I have to deal with the inspection also,
and the examiner came back after driving it (that sucks and I'll reregister it in France just for that).
and said a woman couldn't drive a Paso.

Sheesh, I always thought a woman's place was in the back ;)

I think the bike needs just to be driven, to get used to 16" rims and so wide tires, and for the regular running of the engine, i think the carburetor needs a very deep and accurate cleaning.
After the tecnical control i went for a short trip around the town, and noticed the clutch lever become soo fu***g hard i hardly could start and stop. What may it be?? Now she is resting in garage, and as soon as possible i want to take the clutch cover off and check what's going on with it.

You didn't test drive it before buying it?
Sounds like it's been sitting.

That said, newer bikes are gay and plastic compared to the Paso.
But it's not really a city bike, more of a GT (in car terms),
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

sergiomala wrote:
907pasonut wrote:congratulations Sergio, you have a couple of good looking bikes :thumbup:

I didn't even think about that :oops:
I just went to the shop and asked fo a battery like the old one, and so they gave me.
I found it cheap, and very very similiar to the original one, so perfect in order to keep the bike as it have born. Anyway, when it's possible, why not improve? :wink:

Gel ones will last longer and they're safer. The Motobatt are good and they have 4 poles - about 50 eur in DE.

http://www.ebay.it/sch/i.html?_trksid=p ... &_from=R40

Actually the Motobatt's are glass mat so even better.
sergiomala

Post by sergiomala »

plasmid wrote:
sergiomala wrote:Today first ride.
In the US early means you pick up the phone and insure the bike and 10 min later you're terrorizing the neighborhood
because you don't need no freaking inspection, at least in IL.

And no helmet either so you can actually hear the bike without some muppet safety interference.

>First impressions:
>1) This bike is like a truck to drive, compared to the other Ducatis i own.

I'd check the tire pressure. It shouldn't be that bad and the tire pressure makes a huge diff.

That said, my Paso is in Germany and thus I have to deal with the inspection also,
and the examiner came back after driving it (that sucks and I'll reregister it in France just for that).
and said a woman couldn't drive a Paso.

Sheesh, I always thought a woman's place was in the back ;)

You didn't test drive it before buying it?
Sounds like it's been sitting.

That said, newer bikes are gay and plastic compared to the Paso.
But it's not really a city bike, more of a GT (in car terms),
You are so funny Plasmid. :) :) :)
You are right on all of the answers you gave me. :thumbup:

Btw, trying to be serious, i will tell you i have had a Paso 750 25 years ago, and i know how she acts, but i wanted her, I don't care if shes heavvy, slow, unconfortable or what. She is a Paso, and that's it all. Now i ahve her and i'm happy.
When i park her by some bar, or seaside, people looks at her admired, with wide open eyes, and when i'm asked what bike she is i answer she is the last Ducati model. Sometime somebody answers at me to don't bullshit him, but most of the times they ask me about her, cost, speed, etc, etc. Tamburini was 20 years ahead.........
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

when i'm asked what bike she is i answer she is the last Ducati model
Which is incorrect. Correct would be to say it`s the first Cagiva model. ;)