discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

a330us
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Got a paso!

Post by a330us »

Hi Guys,
I got me a paso sooner than I thought I would. It popped up on Craigslist and it is a beautiful 87 with only 4900 miles. It's got a little clutch problem in that the owner can't seem to get it bled and he just got tired of it. It's about 7 hours away and hope to go up Fri. and haul it home. Appears to be bone stock which is good. I assume that being a 87 that adjusting the valves will be a adventure and I doubt the belts have been changed with that mileage. I'm excited about getting me one but the old quandary in that with low miles and very nice do I polish it or ride it? Thanks Arch.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Re: Got a paso!

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Ride it! That's what they're for.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Congratulations, that went fast :)
Brutus
year: 1989

Post by Brutus »

Pictures!

Post by geomac »

You will be denying yourself wicked pleasures if you do not ride the thing. BUT first check it over completely, previous owners usually don't admit to their past sins with a bike.

geo
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

The clutches on these things can be a proper bastard to bleed . I usually try to push the fluid up from the bleed nipple to the pump , and you will probly have to crack each bango bolt in the line as bubbles seem to hide there . Have a look in the p750 FAQ's and there is a new owner check list that alerts you to all the traps and surprizes you will want to find sooner rather than later :)
Hamish
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

a330us wrote:Hi Guys,
I got me a paso sooner than I thought I would. It popped up on Craigslist and it is a beautiful 87 with only 4900 miles. It's got a little clutch problem in that the owner can't seem to get it bled and he just got tired of it. It's about 7 hours away and hope to go up Fri. and haul it home. Appears to be bone stock which is good. I assume that being a 87 that adjusting the valves will be a adventure and I doubt the belts have been changed with that mileage. I'm excited about getting me one but the old quandary in that with low miles and very nice do I polish it or ride it? Thanks Arch.
Congrats.

Good price. Only saw one photo - with the side fairings removed.

Please post some more once you pick it up.
a330us
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Post by a330us »

Hi Plasmid,
It's in beautiful condition, all the bolts and nuts still have great plating on them and no rust or corrosion anywhere. It had been in Texas most of it's life in the interior. It started right up in 18 degree temps!.I'll start trying to sort out the clutch problem nexxt week. He had also put new oem mufflers on it about a year ago just because he found them. Yes, great price in this condition. Couple of small chips out of the paint and no cracks. I think he said the temp gage is not working and of course a full service to give me a ground zero and I should be good to go. Regards Arch.
streetsurfer

Post by streetsurfer »

Anti-seize your rear axle/swingarm pinch bolts at some point. For me, the clutch bleed was easy once I removed the left handle bar and controls/mc and tilted it a bit more than was possible when bolted to the bike. I later bought the mightyvac which helps too. There were some issues with seals going bad in the slave portion. It would leak fluid into the t/o bearing washing out the grease and ruining it. If leaking you should notice some ooze at a small drain hole in the bottom of the clutch cover to case seam. As well the puck or piston might hang in it's bore. I had a bit of corrosion in my clutch cover's piston bore, but a good hone saved it and it was re-usable. A couple possible things to look at if a good bleed does not resolve it.

Congratulations!
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Congrats! A lovely bike and you must ride it....frequently.

Service is important. Belts first thing unless he can show you a receipt for replacement. Doings belts is a 1 hour job, once the body work is off. If you need help, just shout!

Clean all grounds very well. Clean, clean, clean. There are many on the frame in hard to see or get to locations.

Check the alternator wiring and clean the connectors. Clean, clean,clean.

Valve adjustment will be just like every other 2 valve. Tedious and challenging, but fun!
Jeffreyt

Post by Jeffreyt »

I had the same problem when I got my '87 Paso. I found out that to get the clutch line to bleed properly, the master cylinder must be parallel with the ground. If that doesn't work, try switching the clutch line over to the front brake master cylinder to pressurize the clutch line. I don't know just why but it worked for me and it only took me two days to figure it out.