clutch hub alignment

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

a330us
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

clutch hub alignment

Post by a330us »

Hello, I'm still messing around with the clutch, haven't tried to bleed it yet but cleaned the plates and have read that clutch hub or drum as the parts manual calls it is supposed to line up with something. My drum has a dot on one of the teeth but can't find anything on the clutch basket or edge of the housing that the dot might point to. Two of the clutch plates have dots on them and are slightly dished and I do have a print out of the sequence that I found while searching. So does all of this stuff have to be aligned on the paso? Thanks Arch.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: clutch hub alignment

Post by ducinthebay »

The cover usually has a triangle that points to one of the holes, and one of the bolt bosses has a groove on the top of it, usually. At least that's the way is on my ST's. If you can't find them, it may not matter.
The dots on the plates have never made any sense to me. I just spread them around the hub.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

The dots on the steel plates identify the warped discs.
While you have the clutch disassembled measure the thickness of each steel and friction disc and the whole clutch package. Clean the guide pin on the inner side of the pressure plate and grease it (but only very little and remove excessive grease!)

When assembling I`d rotate the outer cutouts of the steel discs by 90 degrees just to prevent a possible inbalance that could occur if they were all ligned up.

I never noticed marks on my clutch but looking at a spare now my pressure plate has "1" and "2" stamped on it :huh: (that may just say that the bolts should be tightened over cross, who knows)
The only manual I found that mentions something about aligning dots is a Monster manual, but that clutch is different.

G.
Attachments
19020022a Kopie.jpg
(249.28 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
a330us
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Post by a330us »

Thanks Guys,
I guess it doesn't make any difference because I can't find anymarks other than the dot on the drum. Some PO had put both dished plates together all the way to the inside. I can't really see any wear on anything with only 4.9k on the paso so will just clean everything up, space the plate cutouts around the drum and start the bleeding ordeal! Arch.