Bleeding the front brakes

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

viper1
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Bleeding the front brakes

Post by viper1 »

Ok, so I go to bleed the front brakes today, now mind you I have 40 years with motorcycles. I currently own 7 Ducati's, a Buell 1125r & RC51 and do most of my own maintence.....so I'm looking at the 750 Paso and think how the heck is anyone supposed to bleed these bloody things? What was Ducati thinking when they did this set up? I'm at a loss and need to come to you guys asking for advice....so how do you do it? :cry:
900streetfighter
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Bleeding the front brakes

Post by 900streetfighter »

Swop the master cyl hose union bolt for type with nipple. Put one on clutch side as well.

something like these but correct thread (10x1, I think ??)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Banjo-Bolt-Bl ... 1c399655ef
viper1

Post by viper1 »

That would make it easier...thanks for the tip....now how about getting the caliper out from the wheel....I tried wiggling it and bending, etc. and can't seem to get it out from the rim?
lane1feathers
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by lane1feathers »

Pull and push the caliper against the disc to retract the pistons a smidge and then you should be able to wiggle it out.
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
Ducati Paso, It's an 'understanding'....
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

All the bolts holding the hoses , and the brake light switch , will need to be cracked to allow hidden bubbles to escape ,( Ya gotta think like a bubble :) ) . They are a bastard of a thing to bleed ...................... its not you :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
JWilliam
year: 1989

Post by JWilliam »

I bleed my 906 brakes yearly, the easiest way I have found (and the cleanest) is to remove the entire twin caliper assy intact from the bike and place it all on the drainer. Then I suck/pump new fluid thru each caliper the old way - release caliper bleed nipple, pump and hold lever, tighten caliper nipple - repeat. This allows me to first push out pistons a little way, clean and add a little grease to the piston sides then I'll push them all the way in and replenish fluid. I attach a clear tube to the bleed nipple for ease of use. Of course if you are changing seals then this isn't for you but it works well for new fluid and there is no chance of splashing fluid on the ancient paint work.
bmw851
model: other

Post by bmw851 »

With the 17” conversion on my Sport, can’t actually get to the bleed nipples, so the procedure is to go through all the kerfuffle of removing the front wheel, re attaching the caliper’s to the fork legs, put the axle back in to hold the forks in place then bleed them as you would on any other bike, obviously using some form of wedge a similar thickness to the disc rotors to keep the pads apart, I just use a piece of Masonite with the edges bevelled.

Then put the mongrel bastard all back together again, truly is a pain but works for me. :banghead:

Cheers

Peter
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (43.88 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
viper1

Post by viper1 »

bmw851 wrote:With the 17” conversion on my Sport, can’t actually get to the bleed nipples, so the procedure is to go through all the kerfuffle of removing the front wheel, re attaching the caliper’s to the fork legs, put the axle back in to hold the forks in place then bleed them as you would on any other bike, obviously using some form of wedge a similar thickness to the disc rotors to keep the pads apart, I just use a piece of Masonite with the edges bevelled.

Then put the mongrel bastard all back together again, truly is a pain but works for me. :banghead:

Cheers

Peter

Thanks....this was the plan at first but it seems like a PINA getting the calipers out from the wheel. I'll get them dirty dogs off! Thanks for the help guys!