Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: taillight modification

Post by paso750 »

They are an obvious improvement ...
I`d say that depends if you get the right ones. There`s a wide range of LEDs on the market and some are worse than normal filament bulbs. Which ones are you using higgy ?

Hamish, while many rules and laws can be questioned they are what they are. Testers may notice or not but even if they don`t it doesn`t make something that isn`t permitted legal. You never know what insurance problems you can face if something happens and an expert says the vehicle isn`t fully legal.
I guess that`s the main issue. Everyone will have to decide for themselves ...
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

If you go to your local auto store and buy any LED equivalent to the bulb you use now it will be an improvement, at least here most of them are set up with a test it now feature so you can see before you buy which is what got me started along this line about a year ago after replacing my stator and regulator. Just happened to walk to an auto store and saw what was on the shelf. Think I bought 2 to try and they sat for a few months before I got to it. After seeing how they did I started looking for t5 replacement led's and discovered a whole world of options. ANY EQUIVALENT BULB WILL BE AN IMPROVMENT on what you have now. Brighter, less draw on our precious stators and less heat than any incandescent bulb.
Here in the US most incandescent bulbs are now or soon will be illegal and unavailable

Of course if you go out on your own( china) uninformed of whats out there you mileage may vary

there are LED's readily available that will set a fire in a matter of seconds on a 3 volt battery Don't think they have much use on a bike Campers on the other hand...........
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

I suspect that its only not legal because the dicks that make the rules are not up with the play, in any event if the vehicle was involved in an accident surely the illegally fitted LED's would have to be proven to be a contributory factor , and I think they would have a job proving that a part that exceeds the original specification is at fault .
And anyhow legal don't mean shit ! my mother spent 30 years nagging at me about a certain socially acceptable but still illegal activities :smoke: I may have been involved in.................. but then I aint never been busted and she has way more speeding tickets than me and speeding ( last time I looked mother ) was still illegal , and it kills people........more often than having the wrong type of bulb on your motorbike
and don't nobody tell me it aint socially acceptable , the only people who think its not socially acceptable are the dumbasses who still think their kids don't do it :D
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Duc906
year: 1989

Post by Duc906 »

Whatever floats your boat, tobaco kills more than 10,000 Australians every year and it's legal, go figure. :wacko:
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

Mc tool wrote:Whats the deal with this " legal " crap ? In NZ we go for a 6 monthly vehicle check , the tester will check the operation of various lights, and if light shines out of it , its a pass. Would your testers remove lens covers ( or whatever ) to check the type of bulb . To punish someone for having an LED bulb instead of an ordinary bulb in their tail light seem absurd ..... how do they police it ? :wacko:
Same here Hamish. There are all sorts of homologation rules for new vehicles but once it's second hand as long as they work for the MoT nobody gives a shit.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

ANY EQUIVALENT BULB WILL BE AN IMPROVMENT ...
That`s exactly the point. The problem I see is that not everyone knows what to look out for.
There are many who just check ebay, filter by price and then buy the second cheapest option they can find and there`s so much crap being sold there.
I`ve just had a quick look. There`s a range starting at $1.79ea. to over $25 a pair (for lamps with CREE LEDs).

These for instance are sold as rear/brake lights. max. output 80 lumen which corresponds to less than 10W of a filament bulb (and it should be 21W/5W)

Very similar are sold as turn signals btw. (with a scattering angle of only 30° useless as a blinker and as a replacement for a light source that should be omnidirectional).

Then you find the kind of LEDs we`re using for the dashboard illumination being sold as rear/brake light version with max. 80-130lm (= 10-15W) and so it goes on.

As higgy said knowing what to look for is the key. The often lack of this, a missing standardization and the fact that LEDs ideally need to be embedded in a reflector and have a lens before them to have the best possible light output must be the main facts why they are often not allowed.

I`m not sharing my opinion here, just saying how it is.

Hamish, in Italy Police can check if your helmet has a ECE 22.05 norm. If it doesn`t there can be high fines and they can even impound your bike for up to 60 days. So much for reasonable rules :mrgreen:
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

TBH I know F all about LED's except that Joe's LED spotlight will easily ( like double ) out shines. my 120 watt sealed beam light .... all night ..on 2 D cells , where as I will flatted two 14a/h batteries . I see what you mean about getting the wrong type of led , I guess with the blinker toy may as well save some trouble and just use the ordinary bulb , not like its going all the time
Stupid laws , try this . A café in France ( so who really cares , rainbow warrior an all that ) was fined about a thousand euros because some customers returned their dishes to the bar themselves , this , apparently was using unregistered workers ( or something like that ).
In NZ some guy converts an old stone house into a restaurant and because of the relationship between house and street front , and the fact that its now a commercial building ,some old council bylaw required the installing of hitching rails for horses , and they made him do it
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Duc906 wrote:Whatever floats your boat, tobaco kills more than 10,000 Australians every year and it's legal, go figure. :wacko:
10,000 Aussies a year , there must be some way to improve on that ,like giving them away at schools and pubs or something :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
nickta
year: 1992

Post by nickta »

Mc tool wrote:10,000 Aussies a year , there must be some way to improve on that ,like giving them away at schools and pubs or something :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
No point giving them away at a Pub. You can't smoke them there anyway.
lane1feathers

Post by lane1feathers »

If you give anything away in Australia, 1 in 3 will go to a kiwi anyway... :mrgreen:
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
Ducati Paso, It's an 'understanding'....
Duc906

Post by Duc906 »

lane1feathers wrote:If you give anything away in Australia, 1 in 3 will go to a kiwi anyway... :mrgreen:
Suck on that Hamish :P :lol: :lol:
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

lane1feathers wrote:If you give anything away in Australia, 1 in 3 will go to a kiwi anyway... :mrgreen:

Yes ... Just like all the good jobs :D
fester
model: 900 SS

Post by fester »

Mc tool wrote:

Yes ... Just like all the good jobs :D
Standing in line at Centerlink IS NOT A JOB. :shock:
lane1feathers

Post by lane1feathers »

.....scaffolding?
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
Ducati Paso, It's an 'understanding'....