Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

pasoalf
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Lubricate rear fork

Post by pasoalf »

May sound stupid. :(
I've almost all maintenance works done on my paso's, exept one thing:
according to the manuals the rear Fork should be lubricated every 5000 km.
I've just no Idea, how this should work....., and i did not find any information according this within the original workshop manuals.
I'm afraid to take the pin of... . I've just seen that there are screws on the fork, but no Idea how this could work....
Paso 750/ 1987
Paso 906/ 1992
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Lubricate rear fork

Post by Mc tool »

The screws on the RH Side of the fork locate a bush inside the fork pivot which has an ordinary ball bearing on each end, this controls the end ( side ) float of the fork in the frame . the LH side has a needle roller bearing which runs on a bush that fits between the frame and the engine . The pivot bolt goes right thru, and if you want to get in there to clean and lube you will have to remove the pivot bolt and fork to get at these bearings. My pivot bolt was seized ( rusted ) into the bush on the LH side , and I wound up bashing it out the whole way . I laid the bike on its RH side , supported the frame around the pivot bolt hole ( lumps of wood ), Soooooooooo , you would need to be keen.
I have a fork assy out of the frame and I would be happy to disassemble and take some pix if you want a look see at the bushes and bearings :)
Hamish
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
pasoalf

Post by pasoalf »

Would probably help. I already studied the parts catalog. What is in there is more or less clear.
The 100$ question is how to grease without doing a huge disassembly. I believe there should be a way :banghead: :banghead:
Paso 750/ 1987
Paso 906/ 1992
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

swing arm ( fork )
bush assy from rh side, the ally spacer fits over the bush between the two bearings
LH side bearings and bush
rRH bush assy
On the RH side there are 2 sealed ball bearings and on the left there is a bush and 2 needle rollers and 2 seals ( all bearing shop stuff ..... don't go buying original Ducati parts ... you'll get reamed. :)
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

Thanks for these pics Hamish. I've never had mine apart so it's good to know what's in there before I start if I ever have to take it apart. Regreaseing it could be next winter's job.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
pasoalf

Post by pasoalf »

Thank's for the pics. As there is no way to grease sealed bearings, i believe the you only need to grease the needle rollers....
hope the nut is on this side, then you don't need the take of the axle....
Paso 750/ 1987
Paso 906/ 1992
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

To get at those needle rollers you need to remove the fork. Make life easy and spend a day doing the whole rear suspension set up . Once you put your mind to it , it doesn't take that long
I think the big thing with these rear suspension bearings/ links etc. is to make sure they are protected from water and road grit when riding in the wet . Its like being in a wet sand blaster, shame Ducati cut that bit out of the chain guard just where the tire runs close to the chain ..... with that bit missing I cant see the point in having a chain guard :)