Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: new Paso owner

Post by ducinthebay »

Yeah, them is FCR's.
a great carb. Not the stock carbs from the SS / Monster.

Phil.
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

FCR's are Keihin Them B mikuni flat slides
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

I stand corrected.
another option for carbing the Paso.

Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
birdduck
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by birdduck »

getting some mikuni's(monster setup) from phil, because he is awesome and likes his garage space :D.. its what i had, i figured to big is better that not big enough..
birdduck

Post by birdduck »

what is a good idle speed for the pantah?
in its currant state, i cant get it to stay running under 1300rpms..
i have carbs coming from phil so not worried about toying with the weber anymore.
but i would like to know what some other are running..
birdduck

Post by birdduck »

mikuni's on and running.. need to locate to rubber grommets that seal the fuel inlet, filters and a throttle cable.. other than that jet kit installed and carbs cleaned and bolted on :) thanks phil !!
Update:
Cables acquired, filters acquired all installed.. just setting up fuel system next, the old setup was not working well with the new carbs..
lane1feathers
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by lane1feathers »

birdduck wrote:what is a good idle speed for the pantah?
1200rpm for stock. Any lower and it stalls at the lights...any higher and it doesn't sound mean n lumpy :lol:

I have my fuel delivery set up as follows;
Petcock > fuel filter > fuel pump > carb. (Mikunis)

I have removed my return line to tank and blocked it off. I have no issues with overflow or starvation. Some will recommend keeping it (or installing one if not there already) as pump can overwhelm float arms over time. When I had a return line in my system it had a restrictor jet in the line (either from factory or P.O.)
* I only removed the return line initially because I was taking the tank on and off all the time when I was doing the mikuni conversion. In hindsight a small container with fuel delivery hose would have been much easier :wacko: you can get these on eBay *

I have run with vacuum pump and also electric pump. They both work fine. Vacuum pump will relieve your charging system as it has no power drain. It will require inlet tubes with nipples though so you can attach vacuum hoses (one to your digiplex and the other to your pump. If you only have one tube with a nipple and the other blank, don't stress as you can plumb your fuel pump line into your digiplex line with a T piece. This is how I first set it up as I had the wrong size nipples for the other tube. It works. :thumbup: )
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
Ducati Paso, It's an 'understanding'....
birdduck

Post by birdduck »

hmm mine was pushing fuel out of the inlet seals.. i am assuming there just shot..
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Lane, you`re in the P750 forum. ;) Only very few 750s had a Marelli Digiplex ignition. Most had the Kokusan ignition just like the later carbed Supersport and Monster or Cagiva Elefant.
lane1feathers

Post by lane1feathers »

....whoops sorry.. :smoke:
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
lane1feathers

Post by lane1feathers »

...that's 14 minutes of my life I'll never get back :mad:
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
birdduck

Post by birdduck »

going to ditch the fpr and redo my fuel lines tonight.... everything else is ready to go..
and just a heads up for anyone that wants to know a 2002 honda crf450 throttle cable will work almost
perfectly, the only flaw is that the pull barrel adjuster is a tad to small to thread in but large enough
that it doesn't flop around.. 22$ at my local powersports shop, filter are uni's and where 15$ each.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

Thought I'd chime in on the carb set up, since I swapped my '88 over to a pair of Mikunis last summer (with lots of remote help and a custom-made cable bracket from Gerhard).

I found a connected pair from a mid-90s SS900 on ebay for ridiculously cheap ($60USD) a couple years ago. I fit them with a Dynajet stage 3 kit for the SS, because I installed K&N pod filters (P/N SN-2530) and I already had a pair of Cobra F1 exhaust cans on there (and they're pretty free-breathing). The connected pair simplified the set up in that I could use the throttle tube from a Monster/SS & that bike's stock twin-cable set up, as well as replicate that fueling process:

I ditched the Paso's stock electric fuel pump in favor of the Mikuni vacuum-fed pump from a Monster, and I routed the fueling from tank > filter (canister-type from a Monster, left side of bike) > fuel pump > carbs. I mounted the vacuum pump on the right side of the bike (clutch side) in a V in the frame, and 'power' it from the nearest intake manifold.

I swapped the manifolds for a pair from a SS as well; I wound up with a pair from a 900, which are slightly longer than the pair from a 750, which twist the carbs slightly, but that's a non-issue. Actually, I was happier with that, because I think made more room for the pod air filters.

While I obviously ditched the airbox, I kept the crankcase breather box, which lives right in front of the battery, under a short frame cross-member. That previously fed the Weber's airbox, so I wound up installing a small K&N crankcase breather filter instead. That's secured to the frame, towards the front of the bike on the left side.

I also added the triangular 'null air' box from a Monster/SS, which fits nicely into one of the upper V's in the frame (right side) into which the carbs 'breathe'. You'll see the set up in any pre-99 Monster/SS parts explosion. Each carb has an air line (with a one-way valve?) that blows into a grey plastic box.

Besides the K&N items, 2 new throttle cables, air/fuel lines, fuel filter, intake gaiters and necessary clamps - everything was picked up from ebay and shops like ducpower/guzzitech. The air filters I found cheapest on Amazon; the cables, fuel filter & intake gaiters came from Ducati. All told I think I spend under $150USD, and several hours horsing around.

And the bike is transformed. I tried a number of alternatives with the Weber, although admittedly not the solution Jon has detailed :| but I'm extremely satisfied now. The bike has never run this well. Starts like a champ, warms up quickly, idles comfortably around 900-1000 and pulls hard everywhere with no stutters or plateaus.
Last edited by fasterdammit on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
birdduck

Post by birdduck »

just have to thank phil.. if he was here i would give him a hug..!!!
bike is a new machine, throttle reponse is perfect, acceleration is smooth and there is no hesitation..
install is clean and looks good, fuel system working perfectly and i fixed my leak!
birdduck

Post by birdduck »

This is a photo I took just before embarking on my mikuni swap.Image