removing front wheel spindle - what size key???

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Graemer57
model: 750 Paso
year: 1990

removing front wheel spindle - what size key???

Post by Graemer57 »

My new Shinko tyres have arrived and now need to get the wheels off. Can anyone tell me what size key I need to undo the front spindle and is it Allen key or Torqx? Nothing I have at the moment fits. Anything I should know about removing rear wheel, special tools, sizes etc This is my first actual foray into working on the Paso and am not used to its foibles yet. Am really looking forward to fitting my new tyre and getting bike back on road :-)

Graeme
1990 750 Paso #754364
2005 BMW 1200RT
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Re: removing front wheel spindle - what size key???

Post by Mc tool »

14mm for the front and 17 for the rear
You must have some support under the front when you remove the axle.... not just the centre stand , or when you remove the axle the front will drop down , and bike rolls forward ...off the stand :mad:
When I do the back , I remove the caliper from its bracket ( 2 bolts ) , and undo the swingarm end caps and remove the axle , excenters and wheel assy as a whole. The excenters are keyed to the axle ( there is one spline missing so they only fit on one way ........ unless some dickhead has already butchered it ) and you will need to take the axle out to change the tires
Hamish
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Torx on an 80s bike ? :D
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Unless you're really good with tools and bikes, I'd recommend you take it to a good shop and get them to do it. Pay the bucks and save yourself a lot of work and maybe some damage. You're going to have to pay someone to remove the old tyres and fit the new ones anyway.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Actually that's a real good point Skins ( I hadn't thought quite that far ahead :) ) , sometimes you can work that into the whole deal
Graemer57

Post by Graemer57 »

I paid for someone to swap the tyres and balance the wheels but isnt taking the wheels off a pretty basic bit of spannering? I only needed to check the key sizes as dont have the original toolkit and the manual doesnt say a thing. Once I had them it was pretty straightforward job. Interestingly I found that the allen headed set screws holding the sprocket/cush drive assembly to the rear wheel were really loose once I had the rear wheel off. Will locktight them in on reassembly. Am finding it interesting to start to learn about the Paso after years of being a BMW man
1990 750 Paso #754364
2005 BMW 1200RT
lane1feathers
year: 1989

Post by lane1feathers »

I took my wheels off and took them to Bike Tyre City in the car....thinking I'd save some coin. They charged me $630 to fit and balance my new Golden Tyres. They only had one set left and were the only place in Perth that had them (last year).
Recently while at Protwin in Wangara I noticed a Paso in the workshop. I asked why it was there. Justin told me it was there for new tyres. When I asked the cost he said $500 for a set of new Shinkos (as we all know, these are the same) This price included wheel removal and replace!

I know where I'll be taking it next time :thumbup:

Just goes to show, you may not be saving anything doing the work yourself.
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
Ducati Paso, It's an 'understanding'....
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Those sprocket bolts should go on your " regular check" list as they have a bit of a habit of coming loose and chewing the shit out of your swing arm :)