Fun adventure today....

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

wcmiller2002
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Fun adventure today....

Post by wcmiller2002 »

Left the house to ride with a friend and previous work mentor...

Rode up hwy 178 to Rosman NC however alternator came on about three miles before reaching Rosman, NC.

Bike was still running well and 27 year old electrics were a little suspect so suspected false positive.....

Was able to ride down Ceasar's Head (276) under full power however bike died at around vegetable stand.

Inspected voltage regulator wire and was pretty much melted and therefore broken. Battery totally dead.

Friend on FZ6R and I decided to leave bike to ride two up to his place 50 miles away. Needless to say since we are both 200+ was an interesting ride. Thought I would fall off since rear seat on his bike designed for 100# attractive woman. To be clear, I qualify for none of the three categories listed previously. Have new respect for pillion riders....

Went to Northern Tool and Hydraulic and bought Interstate battery to fit. Filled up acid in parking lot. (instructions say wait an hour before charging which was drive time back to bike)

Drove (not rode) to vegetable stand and found bike there (owners had decided to leave for the day). Fixed broken wire and bike fired up once. Not twice. After that tried bump starting twice but didn't work.

Finally disconnected headlight and bike cranked up right away (using kill switch trick where you hit starter in kill switch then shift to run).

Rode home and waved at police officer who decided not to make a turn around.....

Also missed thunderstorm and rode into garage at 5pm.

Overall not a bad day.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Re: Fun adventure today....

Post by Skins »

:cool:

You sure know how to have fun!
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/

Rick will rewind your stator for 150,It will be a single Phase Two wire for max wattage regardless of what type core you send in. Two week turnaround, He will also at your request put larger size output wires to the regulator which is nice it you go with the Mosfet

http://roadstercycle.com/

This guy has a very nice Mosfet Regulator for 129, you can also get the Regulator from Ricks, He makes his own at 120 and is similar to the Electrosport

I have done both ways on the 907/906 and have no more charging issues with Dual headlights on both bikes.No t/s flickering no chargelight winking at idle nada The Mosfet kit comes with all the wiring you will need. A very nice kit :beer: :beer:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
wcmiller2002
year: 1987

Post by wcmiller2002 »

Thank you very much for the reply on the upgrade..

Sounds really good as bike is not a garage queen but daily rider.