I got this PASO frame...

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

angelix
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1990

I got this PASO frame...

Post by angelix »

just the frame, nothing else (well also the Logbook)

I was thinking.... is it worth rebuilding the bike? I know you can buy one out there, but where would be the fun then?

Or is it mine a very ill idea?

I am still working on my 750 special (12-13 years now? ) , but that is a "concept bike" , not a pure and "simple" (yeah right...) rebuild, so it is not that I have loads of space for a new project, but my hands are itching and ebay is sooooo easy to use....

I sent an email to Ducati asking for some info on the Chassis #; apparently the bike came from overseas and was red, but that is as far as I can go.

I already had a P750 in the past , USA re-import, and it was really fun to restore it (really bad, 5 years in the middle of a field, when I got it I could not understand what color was it until I pressure washed it!); it was the sold for lack of space and money ... and never came around to riding it properly, so there is an empty space in my heart.

tell me, should I simply forget about it and get on with life (and keep the 907ie running?) or.... sell my soul to the devil and risk the SWMBO anger ?
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Re: I got this PASO frame...

Post by bmw851 »

angelix wrote:tell me, should I simply forget about it and get on with life (and keep the 907ie running?) or.... sell my soul to the devil and risk the SWMBO anger ?
O, just do it, you know you want to, what's the worst SWMBO can do, all I've to do is mention anything motorcycle related and her eyes glaze over :lol: :lol: :lol:
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

Ah ! Just do it man , she aint going to leave over a bike , you may be in the dog box for a while but she'll get over it ( Pandora works round here ) and you'll still have prize :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

while I would have agreed with Peter and Hamish in the past I`d now say, get rid of it.
What do you need another project for if a decade wasn`t enough to finish your last ?
I was in exactly the same situation a couple of years ago with the difference that I had 95% of the needed parts at home. It took me a few years to finish my first restoration so why would I want to do that again and spend more money on it than a rolling bike would cost? Of course there`s the satisfaction of working on and building up a new bike which is admirable considering that many others part them out and cost of time and money spent is only partly of relevance as it`s a hobby so it probably doesn`t even have to make sense. But a project normally should see an end and not just be occupational therapy (hell, I can`t believe I have just said that). :truck:
Concentrate on finishing your 750 special, then you can still decide if you want to tackle a new challenge. Specially if you`re working on your own having several projects at the same time is not the best idea. It took me long to understand that. :banghead: :)
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

Starting a project with just a frame is a bit of reach, unless is 1973 green frame.
Buy a rolling bike. Plenty around that need saving.
That's my perspective.

My 2nd 750 Sport project is now going on 5 years. Last year I sold my 1972 450 and the other single rolling chassis as they were two projects that I haven't gotten to in the past 20 years.

Cheers,
Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Post by bmw851 »

Again if it's what you want to do, have the funds, more so than the time, if SWMBO doesn't jump up and down too much, I'd think you've made up your mind already, if looking for justification to do it from this site, well, I don't think we are the crowd to ask, we all will have valid reasons to and not to do it.

You can always sell again, if it doesn't work out.

Everybody will have had their beer goggles on at some stage and get all misty eyed about "what if" bikes, some will have had nightmare restorations and can't cope with not finishing them, yet others would have a "that was fun and I learnt heaps" experience, bit like the urban legend of the bloke buying a wheel at swap meet, and 10 years later had a BSA Gold Star.

Last one I did was a '78 Honda 4, the last of the SOHC models, it was that bad it was given to me for free total utter basket case that was going to the tip, took 2-3 years, rode it maybe 3 or 4 times when it was finished then promptly sold it and moved on, and yes lost a heap but that wasn't the point of doing it, the enjoyment was in the bringing it back to life, and at the time could afford to do it.

I've obviously been through more than several, '49 Ariel Square Four-'62 BMW R60/2-Ducati Mark 3 250 Single-Ducati Drama-'75 Honda MTR 125 GP Bike-BMW R65LS Racebike-Suzuki 500 Titan, some got finished, some ended in disaster, and yet others just lost interest in, and others financial circumstances put an end to them, but at the end of the day I'd do it all again, stressing over wether something that you start will ever get finished is pointless, life is literally to short to worry.

The only thing I wont have is a bike I physically can't ride.

And I take it you actually have more lined up than just a frame, to be considering this, but even so......

I use to be a custom electric guitar builder, which while a lot simpler and easier than bike, I still have 5 different builds that I come back to every now and again, with a fair amount of money tied up in hardware that I refuse to sell regardless of financial reason and SWMBO, one is nearly 10 years on now, and most likely will never get them finished, and I'll let you in on the biggest part of my attitude to it, which also applies to bikes when I do have the resource's to start a project, it just doesn't matter if they get done or not, I enjoy knowing their there to play with when the urge strikes.

May be a bit mechanically challenged, but give me a nice slab of timber and I'm off thinking what can I turn it into. :smoke:

Cheers

Peter
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
fester
model: 900 SS
year: 1989

Post by fester »

I say if you want to then just do it. The worst she can do is leave.....actually that doesn't even sound that bad. Least then you could move the bikes into the house to work on so you don't have to walk as far. Probably get the special done in record time then.

Mind you a Paso is not the sort of bike I would bother starting from a bare frame on unless you have a heap of basket case bits ready for it. Used to do it with the old Pommie bikes or the 40's and 50's as there was often little choice.
angelix

Post by angelix »

I was hoping no one would reply :mrgreen: , intstead I can see there are several (and very different) opinions on this issue. :phone: :truck:

I bought the chassis and , more ore less in the same period, I also came in possession of a P750 in a TERRIBLE ( really horrible) condition.

The bike was left out in the rain & snow (northern Italy) for over 5 years, and I bought it with the intention of removing few bits I needed, the engine (hoping it was not seized) and ultimately part it and sell it on ebay

When I got the bike I noticed a chassis offered on Ebay and told myself: 75 quid for a frame with UK Log book is a "pizza and a bottle of wine for two", I could powdercoat it and if the P750 is not too rotten I could get myself a UK registered bike without having to spend a fortune and at the same time I can have some fun in the garage playing with it.

The P750 was really bad, it had the tank full of mud, the bodywork was completely ruined, there was so much muck on the whole bike you could not see it was red, in fact until I pressure washed it I could not understand what was real the color.

Onece cleaned and the bodywork removed, with VERY much surprise I discovered that the bike was sound, no rust, nothing missing, nothing broken, the only things needed fixing were the gas tank, key switch and the DIgiplex.

1 week later it was already running, I restored the bodywork and even found original decals to finish it.

At the time I also bought my first house, so in need of money I was obliged to sell the P750, sadly.

I was then left withg the UK chassis and the though of having owned a P750 but never had the chance of really enjoying it.

Now I see the chassis and lots of parts on ebay and I simply wonder.... if I could just find the right project...

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughs!!!
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

I have a p750 waiting in the wings,low miles mostly original reg,brake lines and seat replaced. Ran two ,er make that 3 years ago as I picked it up after last years IOM. Needs belts tires and a battery. Bought it from the second owner who bought it from his dad. Also needs some minor body work here and there but for the price I just couldn't pass on it.
I'd say if that what makes your happy and gets you outta bed every morning go for it
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie