Cam Belt Covers

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Clint750
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Cam Belt Covers

Post by Clint750 »

Does anyone know of any actual damage done due to running without cam belt covers? I see that customizers remove the covers, and so did the Ducati factory race team. I understand how ingestion of road debris could be a problem. I once took a piece of gravel on a belt-drive Suzuki and had to stop and remove it (made a horrible noise), but it did no damage.

Clint
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Re: Cam Belt Covers

Post by paso750 »

I don't, but I don`t know anyone riding without belt covers. Show bikes aren`t ridden (much) and race engines are expected to break down sooner or later. Speed and weight are more important than a potential damage.
A little sharp stone between a belt and a pulley could have considerable consequences. I guess you were lucky with your Suzuki. The question is why risk it ?

G.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Not a ducati but I had a small piece of the belt cover missing off the Mrs MR2 , and reasoned out the chances of anything getting in there............................ wrong , small stone got in and split the belt in half round its circumference ............and anyhow ducati belts and pulley's are ugly , best covered up :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

I was about to ask why bother, but I see from your profile pic that your covers are exposed anyway, so that makes sense to ask.

I have seen some interesting concepts with lexan windows, or vented ones with mesh grill inserts. If it's interesting or different you're looking for, I'd think you'd turn more heads with a vented clutch cover, for that trademarked rattle 8) although ... those covers are few & far between now, and fetching a premium, so I'd think about it before doing any gross modifications.
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750