trick anyone?

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Brutus
model: 750 Paso
year: 1989

trick anyone?

Post by Brutus »

I've found a good set of 10:1 pistons with matching cilinders. Done approx 14k kilometers. Only problem is I don't know which piston was used in which cilinder. Is there a way to find out? Or is replacing the rings the only solid option?
Léon
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: trick anyone?

Post by higgy »

measure and match wear marks or just watch the leftie for a while :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
desmoluci
year: 1987

Post by desmoluci »

Why put used, mismatched parts in your bike? Unless the parts are unavailable, I would hone it and put new rings on the pistons if they measure out correctly. All that hassle to build a pokey smoker. :banghead:
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

You're right if this isn't possible. It's all about reducing costs if possible. Got more projects I'm working on ;)
Léon
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Brutus, I guess in a perfect world you would fit new rings and all that other " more money than brains" stuff, but I bet if you just pick a piston and rings , stick them in one of the cylinders , same for the other, assemble as usual and start er up , and you wont be able to pick the difference from new parts . 14k is just run in and it would be a waist to not use those parts somewhere.
There are people out there that will wank on about only using new original parts, fitted in surgically clean workshops , and look down their ( large red ) noses at anything that's not factory or correct.................a lot of these Dicks hardly ride their bikes ... if at all, in the real world :) . Not something I have noticed here............um , if you have an RD400 you probly know what I mean :lol: :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
desmoluci

Post by desmoluci »

Mc tool wrote: There are people out there that will wank on about only using new original parts, fitted in surgically clean workshops , and look down their ( large red ) noses at anything that's not factory or correct.................a lot of these Dicks hardly ride their bikes ... if at all, in the real world :)
Ouch!

I ride mine almost every day, and try not to be a Dick. :lol:

I just won't go through the hassle of a rebuild and then put used rings in it.
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Post by bmw851 »

[quote="Mc tool"if you have an RD400 you probly know what I mean :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Possible thread hijack which someone will delete if needed, but what the F@!#*, so how is the holey piston RD project coming along anyway? :shock: :rimshot:

Cheers

Himself :drunk:
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Mc tool wrote:Brutus, I guess in a perfect world you would fit new rings and all that other " more money than brains" stuff, but I bet if you just pick a piston and rings , stick them in one of the cylinders , same for the other, assemble as usual and start er up , and you wont be able to pick the difference from new parts . 14k is just run in and it would be a waist to not use those parts somewhere.
There are people out there that will wank on about only using new original parts, fitted in surgically clean workshops , and look down their ( large red ) noses at anything that's not factory or correct.................a lot of these Dicks hardly ride their bikes ... if at all, in the real world :) . Not something I have noticed here............um , if you have an RD400 you probly know what I mean :lol: :lol:

Post by Mc tool »

desmoluci wrote:
Mc tool wrote: There are people out there that will wank on about only using new original parts, fitted in surgically clean workshops , and look down their ( large red ) noses at anything that's not factory or correct.................a lot of these Dicks hardly ride their bikes ... if at all, in the real world :)
Ouch!

I ride mine almost every day, and try not to be a Dick. :lol:

I just won't go through the hassle of a rebuild and then put used rings in it.
Yeah I know what you mean , but the last set of ducati rings I bought cost me 300 bucks a pot , I aint rich ,I aint ever going to be around when this motor wears out , so.....and with a good ( low K ) 2nd hand ring set handy.... in they go . 600 bucks would get me a chain and sprockets , brake pads , plugs and an air filter
desmoluci

Post by desmoluci »

Mc tool wrote: the last set of ducati rings I bought cost me 300 bucks a pot
I'd be using the used rings too for that price.

Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

bmw851 wrote:[quote="Mc tool"if you have an RD400 you probly know what I mean :lol: :lol:
Possible thread hijack which someone will delete if needed, but what the F@!#*, so how is the holey piston RD project coming along anyway? :shock: :rimshot:

Cheers

Himself :drunk:[/quote]

Well , Ive thought about it lots , I have amassed a shitload of parts ( still need the rod kits ) .....but I got bored with motorbikes that don't go ( there are a few around here ) and I have been busy doing up rifles , just scored an immaculate , still in the box complete Beretta Olympia and a ratty 99 Savage 22 hi power , but Im about to move to the other end of the country so that's keeping me busy at the moment :)
bmw851
model: other

Post by bmw851 »

Mc tool wrote: I have been busy doing up rifles , just scored an immaculate , still in the box complete Beretta Olympia and a ratty 99 Savage 22 hi power , but Im about to move to the other end of the country so that's keeping me busy at the moment :)
Just googled the rifles, not being into that sort of thing, kraft cheeses how old are these things, and that makes how many 12, 15? :lol:

Brutus, had many a time used good 2nd hand rings and pistons in my BM race bike and other bikes (bloody 2 strokes :lol: ) over the years through sheer lack of money for new, helps to know people in workshops and the like who will help out though I found.

Cheers

Peter
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducapaso »

By the way, I can see some kind of "MP" logo impressed in my vertical cilinder, close to the belt cover. Is it standard or do I have big bore too?
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

ducapaso wrote:By the way, I can see some kind of "MP" logo impressed in my vertical cilinder, close to the belt cover. Is it standard or do I have big bore too?
What height approximately?
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Is it standard or do I have big bore too?
Why "too" ? The parts Brutus bought are the standard 750 Paso ones.
If you have a 780cc big bore kit the pistons are 90mm in diameter, if they are standard 88mm.

G.