Paso thrown to the floor....

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

pasoalf
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Paso thrown to the floor....

Post by pasoalf »

I was hurrying to put my Paso into the garage, and it happened that my right leg was not long enough. I still try to b not annoyed (one day before holliday) but without success....
Damage:
-Mirror broken (No problem, have enough.. just need let paint one)
-Windshield broken on the right side (SHIT!!!!)
Even it's not that bad I'm not certain if this need mayor repair.
If i could press the two pieces together and put Araldite in between, it would probabely not look to bad. But i'm not sure if this fix works.....
Any of you guys experienced in fixing polyester?
Any Good advise?
Best repair product?
Tnk's
pasoalf
Paso 750/ 1987
Paso 906/ 1992
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Paso thrown to the floor....

Post by higgy »

any good 2 part epoxy works great :thumbup:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

higgy wrote:any good 2 part epoxy works great :thumbup:
sure does.... for things that are supposed to be glued with epoxy , but ( may I boldly suggest :-P ) that a polyester resin would be better. I have never had much success getting epoxy's and polyester's( fiberglass) to stick together for any length of time .
and ( pasoalf) my right leg aint long enough now either :lol: AND , at least you didn't wipe out the blinker trying to ride feet up thru the bedroom door :D
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
nickta
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by nickta »

Mc tool wrote:AND , at least you didn't wipe out the blinker trying to ride feet up thru the bedroom door :D
I have to ask. Why were you riding feet up through a bedroom door?

Cheers.

Nick.
desmoluci

Post by desmoluci »

Bummer!
+1 on the polyester resin.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

That was probably after jumping from the bedroom wardrobe and swinging from the chandelier.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

fixing it with poly resin is no problem. But that won`t work w/o having to repaint the whole part after. Specially the damage shown on the last photo can`t just be "glued" back together as the fibres are torn out of their meshwork and you won`t be able to join both parts perfectly w/o the edges standing over.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

nickta wrote:
Mc tool wrote:AND , at least you didn't wipe out the blinker trying to ride feet up thru the bedroom door :D

Cheers.

Nick.
because she wasn't home , because it was narrower than I thought , and ( mostly ) because it was the only thing at the bottom of the stairs I had just rid down .......................... the more "life skilled " of you may at this point observe...... the fact that I failed (miserably )to pull off this simple task ( and allowed myself to be talked into it in the 1st place ) suggests some level of impairment.........and you would be right .....Crawford ( bit of a hippy ) was visiting and he has natural cures for most of todays ailments ...........actually its all the same stuff but it seems to fix most things :)
JWilliam
year: 1989

Post by JWilliam »

Fiberglass can be repaired but it has to be done with fiberglass. As previously noted the fibers have been pulled and broken and at first it looks impossible. A professional will use a hacksaw blade and carefully saw into the split to sever all the loose fiber, closely following the contour and path of the split. So making it a clean split, without fiber strands. Then fill with fiber resin to rejoin the panel. It sounds impossible but it is quite easy to do and have a near perfect repair.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

It is permissible to use tape and plasterscene ( modelling clay that doesn't set hard ) to make small dams to contain the fiberglass resin ( polyester ) until it sets. I use aluminium tape which has the strength to hold parts in position and contain resin . If you do it right you can follow the contours of the original body work saving reshaping work. If you use the hacksaw method above , and the strong tape a surprisingly presentable repair can be had at the 1st stage. It does pay to heed the advice ( on the container )regarding ambient temp as if its to cold the stuff takes ages to set ... and then not that well . :)