A good DAY

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Rampa
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

A good DAY

Post by Rampa »

Well, I know this ain't my personal blog but today was a special day so I didn't wanna just bug you with lean mixture and spongy clutch and I thought this was really the day to tell you about.

It starded wid my loyal Elefant 650, men... what a work horse, firing up every morning to ride 3 miles in the crowded town. idling in the traffic and loading up tons of fuel in those dell'orto 36s, spitting , choking and stuttering, waiting for that 1mile stretch to scream and show you that inside this camel's costume there is a real pantah.
Dropped the wife off at work and back to the garage... she , the other one is waiting there.

It was supposed to be a big day for the Paso, first time out after 5 or 6 yrs.
So it was , starded up right away , wormed up and slowly rode to the end of the street for a "revisione", the mandatory biannual inspection.

Passed no swet, what's next ? Well , maybe time to stretch your legs, so why not some country road in that North west corner or Rome that lead to Bracciano Lake?

So be it--- it was like a first date, easy, gentle , I was shy too , at the end she waited this moment for a few years but I didn't ride a sport byke for at least 15 so who was really the "rusty" one??
She is all' there ,the vertical is too lean cracking the trottle, the front wheel need balancing, the fuel gauge is all over , but the rest is all there , generous torque voicing from the unboxed mikunis, and a loud scream over 5k.
And while she is getting the oil temp up to 150 I too, start shaking loose, getting used to ride on the front wheel, a touch of pressure on the inner bar to initiate the turns, and all the torque available to finish it....yep it's a Paso like it use to be.

Few more hills and turns and the bad Italian habit of having just an espresso for breakfast comes to light in full.

Time for a tramezzino to plug the hole.
She gracefully stops in front of a bar immediatly atracting the attention of a bunch of workers sharing my same empty stomach feeling..

Well, I turned the key off so no reason to think she won't be there when I'll turn her back on...no?

NO!!

Batery up, she cranks but no sign of life......

Once, twice..... nothing .... let's think.

It sound's like electric , no sign of spark, but I turned you off, what could have happened in the time of a tramezzino???

Didn't even take a spark plug whrench with mi....well I can uncup a lead and check it with ground.... nothing, no spark...

Hhhmmmm.....that could be at least ten things....and I am 30mls from my shop with nothing to test anything...sounds like a tow truck.

Let's get an espresso and think about.

Flash...didn't I wire in a usb phone charger? yes , well those things have an LED on one side , let me get it out from behind the headlight, cut the wires and it could be used to check power around.

THe probelem is common to both cylinder so it must be before the coils, I got power back to the digilex from the emergency shut-off so that's ok but I don't have have anything on the powerside of the coils...good sign , maybe the ignition box is not bad because coils get powered directly from the battery... well not anymore , you put a solenoid... ok let's check that:
power in .... no power out!!! Come on ???? click no power???
Brand new 26 yr old starter relay form my cagiva elefant failed!!!

Hhhmm. that may be why I replaced it a few years ago... dumb ass.

Bypassed it... boom-boom, fired right up.

Well let's get her back to the garage or I wil be late for dinner.

As I put her away in I am thinking , well that's just what a first date with a Paso should be, like one of those gorgeus italian lady , astonishing beautiful, moody, super sexy, but not ready to jump in the sack without making you swet it.

Just what it was suppose to be...

I am happy, I will go home with skizzo, my little 1968 50cc so today I rode all 3 of them
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (298.35 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Re: A good DAY

Post by Andrew2 »

That was fantastic Rampa.I thoroughly enjoyed reading it :thumbup:.

Cheers
Andrew
desmoluci
year: 1987

Post by desmoluci »

Nice write-up! I felt like I was there with you. :lol:
What is a tramezzino?
Mine sat for a couple of years because of no tires, and it's really great to start riding it again. Wonderful bikes!

lane1feathers
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by lane1feathers »

Nice story Rampa, sounds a little like my experience! They sure make you sweat. Mine made me sweat at least 3 or 4 times!! :lol:

This is one of those times....

All good now though :thumbup: I've tamed the Italian beast!
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
Ducati Paso, It's an 'understanding'....
paisano
year: 1987

Post by paisano »

All good now though :thumbup: I've tamed the Italian beast!

you do know you just jinxed yourself, right?
viper1

Post by viper1 »

They are nice to ride! Best riding position for sure!