Paso out from dungeon

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Balarrasa
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Paso out from dungeon

Post by Balarrasa »

I, my name is Manuel and i'm a just born. Bye R65 wellcome 750¡ Five owners at the very least, 47000Km, modified exhausts, last cam belt change a zillion years ago, but it works fine and sounds georgeous. Servicing first thing next week.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (73.55 KiB) Viewed 10249 times
Brutus
year: 1989

Re: Paso out from dungeon

Post by Brutus »

Welcome Balarrasa, nice paso. More photos if you have the chance! Looks like a californian model. Late 4000 seriesnumbers. You have gold valve covers and the digiplex?
Léon

Post by Balarrasa »

Hi Léon! Not a single clue about what kind of electronic ignition the bike has. Heads colour actually black, but i wouldn´t bet on them being the original ones. Sn: 752313 in the papers. Rest of the VIN cannot remember now. Saw the bike in an ad for 1500€, about 1875$ the day before yesterday; yesterday went to inspect it and went back home with it (van) plus a mangled chassis and an assorted selection of bits. Today I'm working (24hs turn) and away from home so cannot look at it. I'll check on Monday (the other half doesn't work on weekends and always find a lot of things to do, so garaje time is not an option. She lets me play with four bikes and a 1964 renault caravelle so that's a big point for her) and let you know. Thanks for the interest and the support the forum gives to newies like myself. BTW bike was imported to Spain in 1990 but to me it seem a 1988/89 model. Rear lights european ones and they look like originals to me.
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducapaso »

It seems to be one of the latest (1988) P750 (orange reflectors on the front shock and black triple clamp and rear handle with custom made exaust and aftermarket muffler. Fuel petcock and seat are handmade too but bodywork looks FANTASTIC!
Change belts BEFORE riding (of course!!!)
I never happened to see Digiplex on european pasos but it's likely to have smaller fuel jets than standard, according to further severe emission laws
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
Balarrasa

Post by Balarrasa »

Thank you, Léon and Nicola! Paint so so, but it's more than 26 years old so it stays that way. When I tested the bike for a short run oil pressure light was allways on. I told the seller and he reached for an oil manometer. With it in place I saw 65 psi, which must be pleintiful for this engine. Any idea what's happening?
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Maybe check the connection on the lower blue tube of the oil coolers. If I'm not mistaken this should be the oil pressure switch. Clean it a bit with sandpaper or something like that. If this doesn't resolve te issue, you could try to measure resistance. It should be possible to check without removing panels/fairing. If you sit in front of the bike, looking at the horizontal cylinder, it's on the left.
Leon
year: 1987

Post by scimmione »

Recommend updating those tires.
Wish I'd bought the 990 years ago
Balarrasa

Post by Balarrasa »

Hi Léon! You were spot on. Digiplex ignition and gold valve covers. Found oil pool on garage floor. Oil swepping from oil inspection window. Waiting for cam belts (30€ both). Meanwhile oil wire mesh filtre clean, oil filter changed and ignition flywheel point window swapped with the oil one.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (51.46 KiB) Viewed 10129 times
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Léon, how the hell could you tell ?! :shock: :beer:
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

paso750 wrote:Léon, how the hell could you tell ?! :shock: :beer:
What G said! The only thing that jumped out at me (besides the seat & exhaust) was the petcock access hole. I have a blue '88 here in the States, but no such access hole.

Enjoy, and welcome to the club!
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Balarrasa

Post by Balarrasa »

Belts changed. Tensioned with 6&5 Allen keys method. BTW MP sign on block as I saw in a post. How do I connect Holley pressure regulator. If answered my question I promise some pics. Methinks
Balarrasa

Post by Balarrasa »

I think fuel pressure regulator must go after the t connection in the carburettor line. One pic of the pistón sign?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (60.27 KiB) Viewed 9951 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (69.39 KiB) Viewed 9951 times
Balarrasa

Post by Balarrasa »

Found¡ MP sign is the foundry trademark where cylinders block was forged in 1988. Nothing to do with Mondial or Malossi pistons.
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Hej Balarrasa, nice pictures. I've been offline for a couple of weeks. What's your question about the fuel pressure regulator? You have a problem with electrics or the fuellines? Never had any problems with mine, but changed the fuellines last year. I think your gastank has two little pipes sticking out on the end. One with the fuel return-line and one line for overflowing. Overflowing is just hanging there with an open end. Furthermore I've noticed that you're missing the right side coil. Suppose this was removed due to the belt change?

Be sure to give the clutch some maintenance. The little cap in the bearing (in the clutch cover) must be checked now and then.

Nice to know maybe is that you have the stronger casing then the older paso's. The one's before enginenumber 4000 or so have problems with the bearing near the second gear. This is a bronze bushing that will sooner or later fail and could destroy the gearbox. It seems you don't have that problem.
Léon
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducapaso »

If you have a T connection in the fuel line, it means your tank has only two pipes, one with the petcock and the other for the vapour outflow. Otherwise the tank has another pipe for the fuel return.
About the MP logo: I was told that Mondial built some stock of pistons but it was not the only one supplier. I don't know if Mahle kept suppling after 1987 but big bore were done starting from OEM cylinders such as MP or tecnol and so on.
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(